School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

What is Porphyry technically?

Started by Sabrina, Nov 16, 2014, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina

I have been using Porphyry ever since I've been learning about EA and I have found it to yield house placements that make sense. I'm happy using this house system. The only thing is that I don't actually know the reason or the theory around Porphyry, and I wish I did besides just knowing "it works". What is its method for house calculation, and how is it different from Placidus?

Linda

Hi Sabrina,

In answer to your question, here a few quotes outlining the Porphyry house system:

Porphyry house system

The Porphyry house system is the preferred system for Evolutionary Astrology because it reflects the law of the trinity. The prime number in this system is 3. Wolf said that he tried the various house systems out. He then settled on the Porphyry house system by using the astrological necessity of correlation and observation. He also said that he finally settled on it, not only because of trial and error, but also because of its evolutionary nature: meaning the root number used in its division is THREE. He said in the 4th century AD there was a Christian mystic named Porphyry who came up with this system. (Rad)

The recommended house system for EA is Porphyry. Porphyry is a very old house system that takes the space within each of the four quadrants and divides it into three equal sections. "˜3' is very important in EA, representing the trinity of past, present, and future, the essence of the Soul's evolutionary journey. (Steve)

Each quadrant of the ecliptic is divided into three equal parts between the four angles. This is the oldest system of quadrant style house division. Although it is attributed to Porphyry of Tyros, this system was first described by the 2nd-century astrologer Vettius Valens, in the 3rd book of his astrological compendium known as The Anthology. (Wikipedia)

Angie

What program do you use to create this?  Doing a quick google search didn't yield much for me. 

I'm looking for the best program or software to invest in to create my EA charts.

Thanks!

Angie

cat777

Windows or Mac?

I gave up buying and updating software and am content with astro.com.  That way I can access everything from anything.

Rad

Hi Angie,

If you want to purchase you own astrological software my vote goes for Solar Fire. You can do just about anything with it.

God Bless, Rad

Angie

Cat, I have usually use a Mac.  I have been using astro.com for now but I'm going to look into the Solar Fire.  Thanks everyone!

cat777

Hi Angie,

Mac limits your options. Solar Fire is a fantastic program but it's for pc (Windows). I'm on a Mac right now. I have a program called Kairon on it. It is ok, but limited. You are going to find that a Mac program that can do what Solar Fire can will cost you quite a bit of money.

This is the top of the line for Mac: https://timecycles.com/

This is another option but not as robust:  http://www.astrograph.com/astrology-software/

Here is a link for Kairon:http://www.kairon.cc/

I m a bit of a techie and have everything (Mac, Windows, Chrome, iOS, Android) etc running on various devices. That is why I gave it all up and just use astro.com.  I got tired of having charts spread out on what was usually some, but not all, of these devices. With astro.com it's all at my fingertips no matter what I am using. Less hassle. But, there are some things astro.com just can't do. And an internet connection is mandatory. No looking at charts during a power outage :-)

Daniel

Angie,

I run Solar Fire on my Mac under Parallels. It runs seamlessly, and it is worth the additional cost of Parallels ($80) and the work to set it all up. A single license can also be legally installed on multiple systems. I use it on my MBP and my iMac. I store my chart files on Dropbox which gives me access to them from any machine, and any location.

Prayers for peace,

Daniel

Skywalker

Hi Sabrina.s, Angie and others interested,

Astro.com also lets you choose the house system, there is an option under "extended horoscopes". What it doesn´t do is planetary nodes but those can be worked out in other sites such as true-node.com. Maybe users can request some new features and they can implement them in the future on Astro.com.

Daniel´s suggestion is a good one if you want to use Solar Fire or other Windows based programs/applications on a Mac.

All the best
www.mettarocks.com asteroids, crystal info and more

Simon

Hi Sabrina.s

I love the idea of 3 being associated with EA and the true essence of astrology and how the human consciousness interacts with it. I personally love the principle of natural laws being what governs us and that we as humans are just as part of nature as it is a part of us. 

Because EA works with past present and future I see it manifesting like this. The principle of planetary south nodes/north nodes is that each astrological archetype/sign evolves through the Natural Law of the Trinity.

This is described as the past, present and future. In fact when you look at sacred geometry (the geometry of consciousness), you see that what appears from vesica piscis is three dimensions to reality. In other words, the trinity is natural to our consciousness. This can also been seen through the toroidal fields that flow in and around the body and earth - again natural aspects to our consciousness. 
I see it as the actual blue print of our energetic expression.