School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Neptune Square

Started by Heidi, Feb 18, 2015, 03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heidi

Hello Rad and everyone,

I was hoping that someone may be able to share some knowledge regarding the Neptune sq Neptune transit from an EA perspective. It is often referred to as a "mid-life crisis" transit along with the Uranus opposition but I don't think I have ever heard or found any direct material from JWG that talks about this. 

I am going through my Neptune sq right now, which began when I was 40 and long before the Uranus opposition which is yet to occur. My Neptune also happens to be part of an exact T-square with 2 other planets so I've been been hit pretty hard :) I'm at the final pass now in terms of the retro and now being direct again.. but it's more painful, utterly exhausting, and fathomless than ever..

Do any forum members have any experiences or thoughts they would like to share about their own Neptune Sq's? Any words that bring any sense of clarity, meaning, or direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Heidi

cat777

Hi Heidi,

I looked at my chart from this time period. It's rather complex as there were so many other things being brought into play astrologically as each of these transiting planets were aspecting other planets as well and my Pluto was about to conjunct my 2nd house cusp.  That said, in hindsight I can say these transits seem to have caused me to stray from my spiritual path for quite some time. My life both before and after what started at this time is quite different. What started at this time (Neptune square Neptune/Urn Opp Urn) - is that I became involved in a long term (relatively speaking) domestic relationship. I guess that was all an illusion. Or more likely an opportunity to balance out some karma. Or maybe a lesson about separative desires. In any case, I look at it as causing me to stray from the path I was on. That is what pops into awareness now. :-)

Linda

Hi Heidi and Cat,

I experienced the Neptune square in 1998 at which time transiting Neptune in Aquarius was exactly conjunct my IC, squared natal Neptune in Scorpio, and then proceeded to transit my 4th house.  At the exact Neptune square is when I bought a property and moved house in which I am still living.  The MC of the "new house" chart is in Pisces.  During the early stages of the move, the ex and I made improvements to the house.  Those 5 years were hellish.

I suffered severe disillusionment in my relationship with the ex who had 3 personal planets in Virgo - with constant criticism leading to a breakup.  5 years later in 2003 when transiting Neptune was conjunct my Chiron/Aquarius/4th, we split up at which time the emotional attachment was suddenly severed.  The ending of that relationship bought immense joy because I was finally free and independent and would not have to tolerate insulting remarks ever again!  My Soul had learned important lessons in emotional self-reliance which continue to this day (my Pluto polarity point is at the end of the 4th house in Aquarius being impacted by the New Moon Aquarius today!).

Neptune square Neptune

The Neptune square Neptune has the same archetype of moving from a crescent phase square to a first quarter square. This will correlate to what the underlying sense of meaning is for our current life. Thus, what has been meaningful loses its meaning, and the Soul desires, needs, new directions in order for a new sense of meaning to occur. A sense of disillusionment with certain parts of our life can precede this "˜crisis of action' as the Soul initiates new directions in order to discover new forms that generate meaning for its life. (Rad)

Thanks for sharing,

Linda

cat777

QuoteThus, what has been meaningful loses its meaning, and the Soul desires, needs, new directions in order for a new sense of meaning to occur. A sense of disillusionment with certain parts of our life can precede this "˜crisis of action' as the Soul initiates new directions in order to discover new forms that generate meaning for its life.

This seems to fit. Settling down into a domestic relationship was definitely a new direction and did bring a new sense of meaning into my life at the time. I can't say that I felt a sense of disillusionment or a crisis of action from what came before it, I just kind of flowed with all and forgot about everything I had been doing previously. It seems that I have returned to much of that since then :-) 

I was just looking at my chart again. For me these transiting planets, Neptune and Uranus in AQ, were conjunct my Chiron in Aq in the 3rd house. Neptune alpplying and Uranus separating. This making them both opposition natal Urn in Leo in the 9th.

Rose Marcus

In addition to the potential for disillusionment, the Neptune square Neptune aspect is also one that brings confusion over one's best choices and options. This happens when the individual loses sight of, actively outgrows, needs to let go of and/or move beyond that which has been previously cherished, that which has been unconsciously or consciously projected to hold ultimate value, meaning and purpose. During a Neptune square Neptune transit, we can be deceived by others or ourselves. The transit also exposes our own self deception, how we lie to ourselves in order to cover up our truths, how we tell ourselves what sounds like truth when it is really a cover-up for that which we know at the core.
Typically, outward uncertainty and inner lack of clarity, a sense of loss or of life beyond one's control remains until the transit is complete. As the transit unfolds, potentials will unfold. There are two levels to these potentials: (a) the transit stirs the undercurrents of that which has not been fully recognized or that has been hidden from full view and that further contributes to the loss, dissolving, or disillusionment process. (b) the transit introduces that which allows for the building of a new sense of ultimate value, meaning, purpose and life direction. The best way to navigate through this transit is to surrender to it, allow for it to run its course, and to move along with the changing currents despite the insecurity it can produce. Look to other active planetary contributors (aspects from other planets) to fill in more of the picture.    

Sunyata

One of the things that happened for me was that I began painting again after many years of being blocked for different reasons. In fact what happened is that an entirely new style came out of me and it began with a 'vision' that I had when I was laying down to go to sleep of what was to me a Dryad (tree spirit). I had been taking classes in printmaking at the time and had painted in the late 90's and had a few shows back then and about two months prior I wondered if I could still paint. Basically this was the emergence of a totally new style that was organic to myself and linked through nature. Two years later (this year, right now in fact) I had my first show since the 90's. It was an incredibly creative time with many clear visions and thoughts.

Another thing that happened was that I thought I had met a soul mate. Completely mesmerized by this girl that I thought I had recognized from a couple of dreams when I was younger. I hadn't been in a relationship with anyone other than my wife/x-wife for about 18 years. This girl lived in the apartments where I moved into and we had parking spots next to each other so I would often see her when I walked out the door. We would just look at each other and not say anything for a couple of months, but what was interesting is that she kept showing up in my dreams as well, literally sitting on my couch (where I had had my vision of the dryad) and smiling and beautiful and talking to me, bright eyed. So there was a cycle of seeing her outside all the time and then in my dreams at night and the whole time I was painting again, feeling I had rediscovered my purpose. She was just everywhere and so I became overwhelmed that she might be a soul mate. She haunted me. I was certain she was someone from a past life and that we were meeting again. I began to allow my heart to be open.

Since I was so overwhelmed and because I hadn't opened my heart to being with anyone for a long time nor had I seen anyone who had stirred the feelings that she stirred in me I wasn't really prepared to speak to her because I had forgotten how to and hadn't even thought about it, in fact I had actually thought that I was not going to be with anyone again for the rest of this life.... Anyway I allowed my heart to be open to another person for the first time in a long time in a relationship sort of way and long story short, I made a fool of myself every time I opened my mouth and she made me realize I was 20 years older than her. Up until that point I hadn't realized how much older I was because I've never really identified with my body age. I had to take a good long look in the mirror over that time and it led to a lot of contemplation and internal adjustments.

I had to examine what my projections were and what I had projected on to her based on my internal understanding of what my feelings meant and what based on what I thought everything was vs. what it actually was. I still believe she is someone that I've known. I've looked at our charts (minus her birth time).  I believe that if I was more emotionally mature and prepared that there was absolutely an opportunity at the time for some sort of relationship to happen, even friendship. The problem was when I opened my mouth I ruined it all because I had let all the projections and dreams cloud my judgment and perception.

Would also have to say that in my opinion nature and the spirits within nature are your best friend during  this transit. Spend as much time as you can next to rivers, oceans , in the mountains, go camping....answers will come.

CindyRenee

Heidi,
What are the other two planets in the T-Square?
Neptune is just beginning it's square to itself in my chart, though it will then oppose the sun and square Mars whilst squaring itself. Pluto is on my midheaven & the nodes are inching toward my natal Pluto/mercury....so, there's alot going on but I feel that there is a specific thread with regard to Neptune that's prevalent.
More or less I'd say it's intellectual understanding becoming actual reality and direct experience. Also, a purification process. Thoughts occur that are either 'psychic' for lack of a better word or of benefit for others as it turns out. With this process there are no 'rainbows or unicorns' it's a very natural process.
Let's say I feel I can actually start to become my natural self. The fear that's resulted in hiding is being eroded and I'm not afraid to simply be as I am & connect to reality as it is underneath the anthropocentric world view. That the ability to be this way, the natural way, the real connections and real reality is perfectly natural & is mine and everyone's birthright. So, it's a process of living that. And of course there's throwing down the gauntlet with Lucifer! Which resulted in a big fat luiciferian backlash! Oh, well. There's great good in all that ultimately.  Mainly that when approached as the 'bearer of light' it's influence can be significantly curtailed. It's a funny thing - like Wakan Tanka embedded it there as some little joke on 'evil'. Anyway, that wrestling resulted in an interesting experience of feeling like there were dark things being pulled from my chest, from my heart when I'd been combatting emotional states constantly for days - and it reminded me of Frank Fools Crow, and that's good! Part of his daily prayer was to pull negative energies, thoughts from his body and just hurl them out - it really felt as though something pulled all this negativity away & I got some relief!
Rad's statement of thinking of how we can help God/dess versus how Wakan Tanka can help us has truly helped transform my thinking in the most basic ways - it simply made everything make sense! That was the beginning of this process on a conscious level.
Goodness, everyone here helps in so many ways...like this thread sharing our actual experiences!
I could go on & on but the short of it is it would seem the Neptune/Pisces square Neptune/Sag. in my experience has to do with direct experience, awakening to actual reality and the nature of intuition.
By the way, I use the term 'Wakan Tanka' which is of the Sioux nation in a most respectful way - it means roughly 'great mystery' or 'holy mystery'. It resonates with me! I gather most of you here know what that means, but thought I'd elaborate if it was peculiar or new to some folks.
I remembered the main thing I wanted to share - that recently via various synchronistic events & looking hard at my parents anecdotes/memories I've finally got my birthtime! Lo & behold the birth certificate was right within a few minutes. Oh, boy, it amuses me to have gone chasing my tail as is my wont just to end back where I started! But, it all makes sense, it's truly amazing.
Aho Mitakuye Oyasin: two legged, four footed, winged, finned, insects, plants, standing ones and stone people. We are all related.

Heidi

Thanks so much for all your responses!

QuoteThus, what has been meaningful loses its meaning, and the Soul desires, needs, new directions in order for a new sense of meaning to occur. A sense of disillusionment with certain parts of our life can precede this "˜crisis of action' as the Soul initiates new directions in order to discover new forms that generate meaning for its life.

QuoteIn addition to the potential for disillusionment, the Neptune square Neptune aspect is also one that brings confusion over one's best choices and options. This happens when the individual loses sight of, actively outgrows, needs to let go of and/or move beyond that which has been previously cherished, that which has been unconsciously or consciously projected to hold ultimate value, meaning and purpose. During a Neptune square Neptune transit, we can be deceived by others or ourselves. The transit also exposes our own self deception, how we lie to ourselves in order to cover up our truths, how we tell ourselves what sounds like truth when it is really a cover-up for that which we know at the core.

Funny but I'm not liking the word disillusionment right now, not that it's inaccurate but that it feels "bigger" somehow than that. (CindyRenee, the other two planets are Mars and Venus, Mars is the apex of a T-Square and conjunct transiting Neptune). I have been under the influence of this transit for nearly 2 years now and all the hopes, dreams, desires, and expectations that I had (in my relationship) have completely and utterly dissolved. This has happened gradually over time and has brought a lot of grief and sadness along with it. It seems that I have developed more value, meaning, and purpose for what I want for my future, who I am, and who I want to be with, rather than being driven by unconscious desires and motivations and trying to build something on top of them. I never deceived or felt deceived, but there have been times times over the past couple of years that nothing really seems real, as if I don't even know who I am or who the other person is; that I know nothing. I'm still at the end of all this but ultimately I feel extremely humbled and grateful for what I have been through, and what I will be able to create moving forward from a place of clarity and value in who I am, and what I need.

My Mars is in the 4th house and the clarity is still way off here. The core issue is "home," and which country that is going to be in the very near future. I feel like I have been living on a cloud for years now, having no roots and not able to make future plans. The frustrating part is that the option I feel I should be headed in is totally out of my control. I so want to initiate a new direction but really am powerless in my direction of choice. I can relate to what Rose said in terms of "confusion over one's best choices and options" since I feel that having no control in one direction makes me start to convince myself that the other direction would be what I wanted. I desperately feel the need for solid ground and somewhere where I can put down roots, so sometimes I feel that wherever I end up when I finally fall through the cloud will somehow be ok.