School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Feeling vs Emotion

Started by ari moshe, Oct 25, 2018, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ari moshe

Hi Community!
I recently got into a discussion with some colleagues about Cancer and feelings vs emotions. I'm pretty sure JWG taught that feelings are Taurus and emotions are Cancer. Reflecting deeply on it for myself I 100% agree. Although most of my colleagues disagree with me. So I want to see if I can get some more clarity on this. I'm about to teach a very big beginners course and my topic is Cancer so I want to make sure I am accurate and consistent with my terminologies. I appreciate anything that can further clarify EA's perspective on this. Here's my logic:

- If I ask you how do you feel it is like asking a person to touch a chair and describe their sensation. Feelings specifically relate to sensory (inner or outer) experience and there are thousands of ways of describing this. Feelings imply a relationship to (to feel something). That is Taurus.

Emotion on the other hand is not a function of feeling, we can describe it in terms of feeling, but it is itself a pure experience that stands on its own.

- Anger is an emotion. However to say "I feel anger" for example is to connect the Taurus function of feeling/sensing through the Gemini function of identification in order to identify what emotion is currently manifesting within the system.

- It is emotion that impels us to care for a child when it's crying. It's not a feeling, it's an emotion. But we can say "I'm feeling some emotion, or I'm feeling compassion for this baby" but that feeling of the emotion comes after the manifestation of the emotion. Babies don't feel. They emote. We teach children to identify their emotions which then translates to what they are feeling. So they learn to have a personal relationship to their inner environment: the function, the act of feeling. It's not felt until it's a personal connection.

Thank you for any further insight/clarification on this.

Rad

Hi Ari,

JWG indeed taught that feelings correlate to Venus, Libra, and Taurus, and emotions to Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. He taught that emotions are a deeper reaction to the feelings themselves.

"Anger is an emotion. However to say "I feel anger".

We could also say 'I feel emotion'.

God Bless, Rad

ari moshe

Stacie

This is a great question and I'd like more clarity too, so thanks for posting  this.

To me, a  feeling seems to relate more to the immediacy of something we are experiencing (sensory as you say), whereas emotion is a dynamic. It's a dynamic based on the totality of our personal soul experience, and reflects how we have internalized, interpreted, and integrated all the transient feelings we've had, and are having now along our continuing journey..expressed through the ego..so it's personal..  That's my best stab at differentiating the two!

Stacie