School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Creating topic material on a Library computer with flashdrive

Started by Upasika, Mar 02, 2010, 03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upasika

Quote from: DhyanaDec2 on Feb 28, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Ellen, I do hope u get well soon!  I just read ur attachment document. Thank you so much for ur work. This is so helpful to see others analysis! That's y I want u to stay on and post too!

Anyhow, I would  love to help you by explaining the copy paste thing.. and i think it sound so much more complicated in writing then in actually doing it. Do you have a Word Program at hom but simply do not have internet connection there?  And thats y u go to the library?

I ask bc if you have something at home, I can easily OVER THE PHONE, lead u through how to copy and paste and then u will know how to do it anywhere you go. I would be willing to do that if you want. I can leave my phone number on here for a day or so (then I would erase it after you got it) and you can just call me (after you feel better of course). OR I can just post a message on this board under another listing thread (not here on Re:Practice Charts) and just type out steps in fine detail if the phone thing doesnt work for u. LET ME KNOW?

Dhyana

Hi Ellen and Dhyana,

Just a couple of thoughts...

- if you need to swap phone numbers why don't you just send each other a personal message (PM) and that way its just between the two of you. To send someone a PM just click on their name in the left hand column next to one of their posts. This will open their profile, and down the bottom of that under "Additional Information" click on "Send this member a personal message".

Hope you get well soon Ellen, and that Dhyana can help you out.

- also, if its a useful additional method to Dhyana's email & cut and paste system, which should work pretty well once you get the hang of it, there is a simple way to incorporate using your flash drive too, if the Library computer has MS Windows on it. If it does there is a built in program that always is on Windows computers called "Notepad", and may be available to use. This makes simple text files, so you could do your writing in there, and save it on your flashdrive.

You would take your flash drive and plug it in first at the Library computer. Then click the Start button, then click "Programs" or "All Programs", then in the menu click on "Accessories", then find and click on "Notepad".

Once it is open you can type merrily away, and when you want to save your work save it to a file on your flashdrive, which you would find in Notepad by clicking on the "File" menu at the top, then "Save", then navigate in the folder tree to "Computer", click on it and then you should see your flashdrive showing there (it's probably called "Removable Disk"). Click on it and then you should see your folders in the right pane, and you can save your file in one of those folders.

When you leave don't forget to take your flashdrive with you !

When you go back next time, plug your flashdive in, open up Notepad (as above), go to 'File" in the menu at the top, then click on "Open" in the menu, then navigate as above to your file on your flashdrive and double-click on it, and it should open and be ready to add more text to your last writings. (Remember you can periodically save your work as you are writing in Notepad, just like in Word, by clicking on the File menu, then on "Save".)

Finally when ready to post, use your new copy and paste skills (if Dhyana has taught you those), to copy your work from Notepad into the forum's post window.

If I can help any other way just let me know.

blessings Upasika

Dhyana

Great!  Thanks --I didnt know about the personal message option.  That makes more sense!
And I sure hope Ellen sees this posting of yours.   Hey, I'll just mention or remind her to look here when I send her the personal message~
Thanks again,
Dhyana

Elen

Quote from: Upasika on Mar 02, 2010, 03:22 AM
Quote from: DhyanaDec2 on Feb 28, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Ellen, I do hope u get well soon!  I just read ur attachment document. Thank you so much for ur work. This is so helpful to see others analysis! That's y I want u to stay on and post too!

Anyhow, I would  love to help you by explaining the copy paste thing.. and i think it sound so much more complicated in writing then in actually doing it. Do you have a Word Program at hom but simply do not have internet connection there?  And thats y u go to the library?

I ask bc if you have something at home, I can easily OVER THE PHONE, lead u through how to copy and paste and then u will know how to do it anywhere you go. I would be willing to do that if you want. I can leave my phone number on here for a day or so (then I would erase it after you got it) and you can just call me (after you feel better of course). OR I can just post a message on this board under another listing thread (not here on Re:Practice Charts) and just type out steps in fine detail if the phone thing doesnt work for u. LET ME KNOW?

Dhyana

Hi Ellen and Dhyana,

Just a couple of thoughts...

- if you need to swap phone numbers why don't you just send each other a personal message (PM) and that way its just between the two of you. To send someone a PM just click on their name in the left hand column next to one of their posts. This will open their profile, and down the bottom of that under "Additional Information" click on "Send this member a personal message".

Hope you get well soon Ellen, and that Dhyana can help you out.

- also, if its a useful additional method to Dhyana's email & cut and paste system, which should work pretty well once you get the hang of it, there is a simple way to incorporate using your flash drive too, if the Library computer has MS Windows on it. If it does there is a built in program that always is on Windows computers called "Notepad", and may be available to use. This makes simple text files, so you could do your writing in there, and save it on your flashdrive.

You would take your flash drive and plug it in first at the Library computer. Then click the Start button, then click "Programs" or "All Programs", then in the menu click on "Accessories", then find and click on "Notepad".

Once it is open you can type merrily away, and when you want to save your work save it to a file on your flashdrive, which you would find in Notepad by clicking on the "File" menu at the top, then "Save", then navigate in the folder tree to "Computer", click on it and then you should see your flashdrive showing there (it's probably called "Removable Disk"). Click on it and then you should see your folders in the right pane, and you can save your file in one of those folders.

When you leave don't forget to take your flashdrive with you !

When you go back next time, plug your flashdive in, open up Notepad (as above), go to 'File" in the menu at the top, then click on "Open" in the menu, then navigate as above to your file on your flashdrive and double-click on it, and it should open and be ready to add more text to your last writings. (Remember you can periodically save your work as you are writing in Notepad, just like in Word, by clicking on the File menu, then on "Save".)

Finally when ready to post, use your new copy and paste skills (if Dhyana has taught you those), to copy your work from Notepad into the forum's post window.

If I can help any other way just let me know.

blessings Upasika

Hi Upasika and Dhyana,

Thanks so much for your generosity and support.  As it turns out, it's not just about me being computer-challenged.  The public system simply does not allow me to paste into the forum, at least not from my flashdrive (I haven't checked out email yet).  I can copy, but not paste.  When I pull down the "edit" option, there is no paste option.  Upasika, I was excited to hear about the notepad option, but, alas, the public system does not have it.  I seem to be at an impasse.  I will have to find a way to adapt....

Blessings to you and to Bradley for your encouragement and help,
Ellen

Cancel all that.  I was informed about the "Ctrl V" option, so don't need the drop down menu to make it work!  Hooray!!!

Upasika

Hi Ellen,

That is a pity if they have disabled NotePad on the machines - did you confirm that by asking one of the library staff?

With the paste not working, I am surprised by that, because copy and paste go together hand in glove so if you can copy you should also be able to paste. Sometimes in Windows not all the items on a menu are initially displayed, so paste may have been an option but just not showing. In those cases the last item on the menu is one (or two) downward pointing arrows .... if they are there it shows there are more items on the menu but they just aren't currently being displayed ... and if you click on the arrow the full menu will display with all the options, and the Paste option may then be visible.

An alternative method to try is using shortcut keys on the keyboard to copy and paste with.

To do this, regardless of where your text is (in NotePad, an email or wherever), drag the mouse over your text to highlight (select) it as normal, then press down the Control key on the keypad (it's sometimes alternatively labelled "Ctrl" or something similar on the key) and keep holding it down and then press the "C" key. Then release both keys. Nothing will appear to have happened but normally you have just copied the text.

Then open or get the forum screen up, and click in the Post area with the mouse, and then press the Control key and keep holding it down and then press the "V" key, then release both keys. This normally will have pasted the text you copied into the area where the cursor is (where you clicked with the mouse), which in this case is the Post area in the forum screen. It should have appeared now.

Maybe this works ....

Upasika

... thats synchronicity for you, you have been told just as I was writing ! Glad you have got it working.

Elen

Quote from: Upasika on Mar 02, 2010, 04:02 PM
... thats synchronicity for you, you have been told just as I was writing ! Glad you have got it working.

Thanks, Upasika.

Ellen