School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Jung's story of the hero slaying the Dragon and an interesting correlation

Started by hk980p, Mar 12, 2020, 09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hk980p

It's a popular symbolic story seen in various mythologies all over the world. Jung correlated it with the slaying of the psychological dependence on the mother/father during maturity into adulthood. In this story, the dragon is the symbolic representation of 'Psychological regression' which according to him was one of the most dangerous enemies that every man must face. The slaying of the dragon represents the individuation from two psychological factors, slaying the mother bond(the devouring mother) and freedom from the father's influence(The tyrannical father) and thus achieving psychological autonomy. According to the story, the hero descends into a deep cavern(representing the unknown depths of our unconscious) inhabited by the dragon and starts the fight with the dragon. After a long fight, the Hero finally slays the dragon. After the victory, He finds a beautiful virgin maiden in the cave who he marries.
It's a beautiful symbolic story of a person's individuation from his family of origin into the outer world.

Now while reading this story I found an interesting correlation. The entire story can be represented in terms of the ARIES-CAPRICORN-LIBRA-CANCER grand cross. The hero(ARIES) fights the dragon represented by the devouring mother(Negative manifestation of CANCER) and the tyrannical father(The negative manifestation of CAPRICORN) and after killing these unhealthy bonds/complexes, he wins the beautiful white maiden(LIBRA)

What are your thoughts about it? I think this can be like a great solution for people suffering from a mother complex/father complex and who are unable to achieve psychological independence from parents. Use the sign on the first house(The HERO archetype) to develop the aggressiveness to break free from the parental bonds and use the sign on 7th house(THE BEAUTIFUL MAIDEN) as the motivation to slay the dragon.

Rad

EA teaches that we are all responsible for that which we create including the parents and the environment that we are born too. Thus, there is no one to blame or judge in the way that Jung's paradigm suggests. The EA paradigm allows us to understand the WHY of anything including the environment, parents, we are born into: all the evolutionary and karmic dynamics that correlate to the parents, and the environment they have created. In other words, there is no 'dragon', etc, to slay in order to arrive and psychological individuation/ independence.

Relative to Jung's paradigm the correlations that you have made are accurate enough although ti does not speak to the female or women in that paradigm: it's patriarchal.

In the future if you are addressing your questions/ concerns to someone specifically I would suggest you do just that. If not, I would suggest that you start your questions/ concerns to 'Hi All'.

God Bless, Rad

Tashi

Dearest Rad
Thanks for that insight.  I hadn't realized what you explained. 
Food for thought as always

Tashi
be the change you wish to see in the world
Tashi
www.enlighteningtimes.com

hk980p

@rad  well of course if I didn't specifically address anyone in the post, it means I intended to share it with all the members of the forum. The dragon in the story is a symbolic representation of the resistance inside us that prevents us from achieving psychological autonomy. Jung was able to found the same symbolic story in many cultures in the world. These stories and symbolisms are creative work of individuals. So these symbolisms and art has its source from the collective unconscious that every individual belongs. So in that way symbolisms can give a lot of information about our own psyches because its source is the psyche itself.

And btw What's up with EA's obsession with matriarchy. Why does EA see it as some perfect heaven or something. Seems like some sort of neptunian illusion to me. Patriarchy by itself is not bad. Its archetype CAPRICORN Represents the WISE OLD MAN. Only its negative manifestation(THE TYRANNICAL FATHER) can be considered as corrupted. And I am pretty sure MATRIARCHY has its negatives too(THE DEVOURING MOTHER who stunts the psychological growth of the individual). If matriarchy(cancer) is seen as perfect and patriarchy(capricorn) as corrupted then it means cancer is better than capricorn which violates the balance between capricorn-cancer polarity.

Rad

hk980p,

Throughout out the mb the word matriarchy correlates too and is synonymous with Natural Times, Natural Laws, in which the human being aligned with those Natural Laws. As a result living in balance with themselves, and the environments in which they found themselves. It has never been represented as some perfect heaven. No more, and no less.

The Patriarchy correlates to the time when humans began separate and diverge from those Natural Laws, and replaced them with man made laws which has lead the planet to where it is today. No more, and no less.

In any case, EA is not about Jungian psychology, or any other kind of psychology other than natural psychology. If you don't agree with that that is simply your choice that of course you have every right to make. This message board is to teach EA as it was/ is intended. No more, and no less.

it is not a place to debate whether you, or anyone else. agree or don't disagree with what EA is.

God Bless, Rad