School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Checking my understanding of The 8 Primary Phase Aspects

Started by Elen, Feb 21, 2010, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elen

Hi Everyone,

I was wanting to see if I am understanding the 8 primary phase aspects correctly.  Below is my brief summary of each phase.  Thanks for any feedback.

Ellen

PS I have intentionally excluded the subphases within these primary phases for now.

New - the beginning of a cycle.  Action is instinctual. Absolute freedom is required. The question is, "Who am I?"  And the actions one takes brings the feedback one needs to find this out.

Crescent - The feedback has been obtained.  The need is to withdraw and to come to an understanding of who one is.

First Quarter - Crisis in Action.  One now has an understanding of who one is.  Now the question is, "What specific form do I take?"  A time of intense activity.  Building one's foundations in terms of who one is.

Gibbous - A time of adjustment.  The old (egocentric) ways are no longer working.  The need to re-evaluate.  The realization that it is not about "me" anymore.

Full - The dilemma is now in the full light of day.  This is me vs. This is what is required of me in the social sphere.  The necessary feedback from significant others in one's life to begin the process of integrating oneself/one's sense of purpose into the social sphere.

Disseminating - Fully integrating oneself/one's sense of purpose into the social sphere.

Last Quarter - Crisis in Beliefs.  Questioning the underlying beliefs that have underpinned all prior actions.  Detaching from what one has created and the social sphere in which one has participated.

Balsamic - Attunement to the Divine.  Understanding oneself in the context of the Divine and the corresponding expansion of consciousness.  Letting go of all that has come before that hinders this attunement.  The beginnings of new imaginings for a new cycle.

Rad

Hi Ellen,

Yes, your succint definition of the primary phases is correct. However, in the balsmaic phase the main archetype within it is CULMINATION. The culmination of the entire cycle that began at the New Phase. The attunement to the Divine in this phase is a core archetype yet many, many Souls will not be consciously embracing it as such. For many, this archetype morphs into a state of total disillusionment that sets in motion the need to begin anew, the movement towards the New Phase, or the sense of becoming totally worn out or exhausted due to an entire cycle coming to a place of culmination. Yet, because the the two planets are in this balsmaic state being 'forced' to live them out anyway even as they desire not too: the need to begin anew. The intention in this is to create within the Soul's consciouness an active state of reflection that allows for a complete awarness of all the dynamics that have been responsible for the types of realities that the Soul has created because of those dynamics. Self knowledge is the result, and intent. In this way the Soul then lays the groundwork for a positive culmination of those dynamics that then leads to the New Phase down the line.

Rad

Elen

Quote from: Rad on Feb 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Ellen,

Yes, your succint definition of the primary phases is correct. However, in the balsmaic phase the main archetype within it is CULMINATION. The culmination of the entire cycle that began at the New Phase. The attunement to the Divine in this phase is a core archetype yet many, many Souls will not be consciously embracing it as such. For many, this archetype morphs into a state of total disillusionment that sets in motion the need to begin anew, the movement towards the New Phase, or the sense of becoming totally worn out or exhausted due to an entire cycle coming to a place of culmination. Yet, because the the two planets are in this balsmaic state being 'forced' to live them out anyway even as they desire not too: the need to begin anew. The intention in this is to create within the Soul's consciouness an active state of reflection that allows for a complete awarness of all the dynamics that have been responsible for the types of realities that the Soul has created because of those dynamics. Self knowledge is the result, and intent. In this way the Soul then lays the groundwork for a positive culmination of those dynamics that then leads to the New Phase down the line.

Rad

Hi Rad,

Thanks for correcting and adding to my understanding.  So here's how I'd sum up the Balsamic Phase now:

The culmination of a cycle.  The old is ending and the new has not yet begun.  Disillusionment with the old as one's actions have not brought about the results one has desired.  Exhaustion.  The desire to begin anew yet the need to continue on (with the ending of the old).  Reflection - on all that has led to one's current situation - and awareness of the same, preparing one for the New phase.

Does this seem right?

Also, is it correct that these descriptions apply to Natal, Progressions and Transits?  In this regard I am wondering how they play out when they are present in the natal chart.  Do certain life events trigger them and only then do they really manifest or only then does the native become aware of them?  Is it more a quality about the person that is always evident, though perhaps only beneath the surface?  If Mars/Venus are in a Balsamic phase natally, will there be in the native a chronic sense of disillusionment with regard to Mars/Venus matters, for example, (values, relationships, identity, etc.)  Perhaps there is awareness and release with the second Saturn Return...?  Or perhaps when they progress to a New Phase....?

Thanks,
Ellen

Rad

Hi Ellen,

"Thanks for correcting and adding to my understanding.  So here's how I'd sum up the Balsamic Phase now:

The culmination of a cycle.  The old is ending and the new has not yet begun.  Disillusionment with the old as one's actions have not brought about the results one has desired.  Exhaustion.  The desire to begin anew yet the need to continue on (with the ending of the old).  Reflection - on all that has led to one's current situation - and awareness of the same, preparing one for the New phase.

Does this seem right?

Yes, but remember too there can be an 'exhaustion' for some Souls who have felt they have 'finished' with something , are done with it, yet are evolutionarily required to continue living these dynamics equalling circumstances via the two planets are are in this balsmaic phase.

Also, is it correct that these descriptions apply to Natal, Progressions and Transits?

yes .............

In this regard I am wondering how they play out when they are present in the natal chart.  Do certain life events trigger them and only then do they really manifest or only then does the native become aware of them?  Is it more a quality about the person that is always evident, though perhaps only beneath the surface?  If Mars/Venus are in a Balsamic phase natally, will there be in the native a chronic sense of disillusionment with regard to Mars/Venus matters, for example, (values, relationships, identity, etc.)  Perhaps there is awareness and release with the second Saturn Return...?  Or perhaps when they progress to a New Phase....?"

All life events manifest as a reflection of the inner dynamics within all Souls. A Soul is aware of the circumstances of their life of course because they are living their life. The issue of being inwardly aware so as to know the dynamics within themself that are causing these circumstances is of course a matter of evolution of the Soul. How the phases between planets is actualized, the specific manifestation, is dependant on the individual context, reality, of any given Soul. The Mars/Venus balsamic conjunction has a range of archetypal manifestation that is dependant on the individual context, reality, of any given Soul. For some it could certainly be experiences as a chronic disillusionment in regards Mars/Venus issues. For others it could be it could simply be an inner conflict of desiring to be alone altogether yet, karmically and evolutionarily, required to complete relationships with with many Souls that it has has prior connection too in some way. And so on. It all depends on context.

The phases between two planets exist for an entire lifetime, and serves as the FOUNDATION for the entire life. The progression of the two planets can correlate to a change in the phase, i.e. balsmaic Mars and Venus progressed to a New Phase, but that does not mean that the balsamic phase stops. It remains to be the foundation for the life. The New Phase progression would then mean that the Soul is creating within itself, in the current life, the types of experiences that will serve as the foundation for the next life when that Mars/Venus would indeed be in a New Phase. You can see how this would then lend itself to not only feeling exhausted via the natal Mars/Venus being balsamic, exhausted from having to complete, but also disillusioned. It's like the proverbial 'grass in greener on the other side' where the progression into the New Phase correlates to the green grass just on the other side of the fence, yet one is still stuck behind that fence and being forced to feed itself with whats under it's feet. Yes, it can crane it's neck and and eat a little of that grass on the other side, the New Phase, but must remain behind the fence.

Rad

Elen

Quote from: Rad on Feb 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, but remember too there can be an 'exhaustion' for some Souls who have felt they have 'finished' with something , are done with it, yet are evolutionarily required to continue living these dynamics equalling circumstances via the two planets are are in this balsmaic phase.

That's right.  Thanks for reminding me.  I thought I included it but must have edited it out.  I'll add this in to my summary.

The phases between two planets exist for an entire lifetime, and serves as the FOUNDATION for the entire life. The progression of the two planets can correlate to a change in the phase, i.e. balsmaic Mars and Venus progressed to a New Phase, but that does not mean that the balsamic phase stops. It remains to be the foundation for the life. The New Phase progression would then mean that the Soul is creating within itself, in the current life, the types of experiences that will serve as the foundation for the next life when that Mars/Venus would indeed be in a New Phase. You can see how this would then lend itself to not only feeling exhausted via the natal Mars/Venus being balsamic, exhausted from having to complete, but also disillusioned. It's like the proverbial 'grass in greener on the other side' where the progression into the New Phase correlates to the green grass just on the other side of the fence, yet one is still stuck behind that fence and being forced to feed itself with whats under it's feet. Yes, it can crane it's neck and and eat a little of that grass on the other side, the New Phase, but must remain behind the fence.

Thanks, Rad.  The "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" metaphor helps a ton.  Now I have the feel of it.

Ellen

Wendy

Hi All,

Is there information on how to determine the phasal relationships on the forum.  I ordered Deva's book today so I can study the phases in depth, and I have two readings coming up Saturday and Monday and I would like to have the depth of understanding regarding their charts.

I am grateful for this forum and all the feedback and guidance I receive.

Wendy

Steve

Hi Wendy

Quote from: Wendy on Apr 07, 2010, 09:15 PM
Is there information on how to determine the phasal relationships on the forum.  I ordered Deva's book today so I can study the phases in depth, and I have two readings coming up Saturday and Monday and I would like to have the depth of understanding regarding their charts.

I think you are asking how to calculate the phase between two planets.

Count the # of degrees between the two planets.  Go from the slower moving planet to the faster moving planet, counter-clockwise, that is, from left to right.  The slower moving planet is the one that is farther away from the Sun, in the physical solar system.  If you are working with Saturn in the 3rd house and Jupiter in the 10th, count the # of degrees between Saturn in the 3rd, through the 4th, 5th, etc. until you reach Jupiter in the 10th.

There are some exceptions. 
When working with the Sun and any other planet, the Sun is always the baseline, meaning you treat it as if it is the slower moving planet.

The lunar nodes are exceptions as their mean motion is retrograde.  In that case you move CLOCKWISE ( through the houses backwards) from the planet to the node.  If Venus is in the 4th and the south node is in the 11th, start with Venus in 4th, moving to the 11th.  Count the # of degrees between Venus and the south node.
  The # of degrees between Venus and the north node would then be the # of degrees between venus and south node, plus 180.  In this example, the north node would be in the 5th as the south node is in the 11th.

Then determine the phase in which that # of degrees is located.  I've attached to this a PDF copy of the phases and aspects diagram I use.

ari moshe

Thanks Steve, that was a helpful diagram.

In an earlier thread https://forum.schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/index.php/topic,186.0.html Deva talked about correlating the 8 phases to the archetypes. Would that associate New phase with Aries, Crescent with Taurus, First quarter with Cancer, Gibbous with Leo, Full with Libra, disseminating with Scorpio, Last quarter with Capricorn, and Balsamic with Aquarius?

Is there any material on that? I apologize if that info is already in your book Deva, it's currently on loan to someone else.

Ari Moshe

Steve

Hi Ari

Quote from: ari moshe on Apr 08, 2010, 11:29 AM
In an earlier thread https://forum.schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/index.php/topic,186.0.html Deva talked about correlating the 8 phases to the archetypes. Would that associate New phase with Aries, Crescent with Taurus, First quarter with Cancer, Gibbous with Leo, Full with Libra, disseminating with Scorpio, Last quarter with Capricorn, and Balsamic with Aquarius?  

I would correlate the phases like this
New phase - Aries - initiation
Crescent - Taurus - internalization of new phase
First quarter - Gemini - choices to be made
Gibbous - Virgo - humbling/adjusting
Full - Libra - enter the social sphere- compare and contrast self to everyone else
disseminating - Capricorn - what has been learned enters the mainstream
Last quarter - Aquarius - begin breaking free from, or rebelling against, all that has come previously in this cycle
Balsamic - Pisces - culmination of the entire cycle, it dissolves back into from whence it came

When I was learning the cycle of aspects and phases I initially tried to correlate the phases directly to the zodiac wheel.  I was having trouble, especially with disseminating, which would have been scorpio but is not scorpio like at all.  I asked questions about this.  Jeffrey's answer was he had never taught the cycle of phases as a direct correlation to the 12 signs of the zodiac.  They are two different systems.   

All of the archetypes of the zodiac are found in the cycle of phases, but not necessarily in the exact same location in the wheel.  All the archetypes are there because they are the totality of life in human form.  But we can't make a literal one to one comparison, by numeric degrees, between the zodiac and the cycle of phases. 

Another thing about the cycle of phases is they point out the significance of the bi-quadrant points, the 15 degree midpoint of each fixed sign.  Those correlate with the transitions from the yang to yin phase in each of the 4 quadrants of the cycle of phases.  That is, the beginning of the Crescent phase, when overlaid on the zodiac, occurs at 15 taurus - beginning of Gibbous at 15 Leo, etc.   This highlights the significance of semi-squares (45 degrees) and sesquiquads (135 degrees) as these are the aspects at the change from the yang to the yin half of each quadrant, midpoints of the squares, oppositions, and conjunctions.
Steve

Wendy

Thanks Steve and Ari.  All this information is very helpful.

Wendy

Oh Steve thanks so much~this diagram is great!  I just realized that you included it as I reread your response post to my questions.

Blessings,
Wendy

Wendy

I had a session with a new client today, and I calculated the phases of all the planets aspecting her nodes, dispositors of nodes, Pluto and the planets aspecting it prior to the session.  Wow, I felt very confident in my ability to relay pertinent revalance to how those phases and aspects are influencing the client's life.  

I feel like a just graduated into the next phase of my own astrological ability, especially with NN in Gemini, I see how using calculations and factual data tempers my Sag tendencies to intuit the chart.  Combinding both sources of truth offers my Mercury function to come more fully alive and offers greater context to the entire scope of the chart.

I am loving the Evolutionary Astrology interpretation!  I feel like I have found home.

Thank you Jeffrey Green, and all.

Blessings,
Wendy

I do have some clarifying questions about her chart.  Should I write up my analysis of the chart and post it as a new topic? or put it on an existing thread?

Steve

Hi Wendy
I do have some clarifying questions about her chart.  Should I write up my analysis of the chart and post it as a new topic? or put it on an existing thread?

I suggest you start a new thread
Steve

ari moshe

Hi Steve,

I've been sitting with your astrological correlations to the 8 phases. Those correlations make sense to me as far as them seeming to describe the overall nature of the phase.

However I am wondering how it is at all possible that there ISN'T a clear and mathematically consistent correlation between the phases and the zodiac.

The reason why this is so perturbing to me is because the relationship between Aries and Cancer is a clearly definable relationship that can be measured by 90 degrees of separation. Likewise, the relationship between a new phase conjunction and a first quarter square is a clearly discernible relationship that can also be measured with a 90 degree elongation.

And so if we were to associate any zodiac sign to any phase, to me it seems intuitive that we would have to apply all the other zodiac sings to the other phases, according to the proper degree elongations.
Thank you,
Ari Moshe

Steve

Hi Ari

When I was first grasping phases I was trying to make those astrological correlations that you are trying to make.  I was having trouble with getting some signs to fit.  I posted that question on Jeffrey's at that time message board.

His answer was that the phases and the zodiac were two different systems, that he had never taught an exact correspondence between them.  At that point I stopped looking for exact correspondences. 

I describe it to people as there are similarities, but they are not identical.  All of the 12 archetypes are found within the cycle of phases of course, but not in the identical layout to the zodiac.  In some cases, as you point out, the correlation is identical.  But it is not identical in all.   

Disseminating would correlate with half of Scorpio and all of Sag in the zodiac.   Yet disseminating by its nature corresponds to Cap.   Last Quarter correlates with Cap and 1st half of Aquarius in the zodiac.  Yet the function of LQ is not Cap in nature, it is more Aquarian, completing and beginning to break away from what has come before.  How would you correlate that to Cap? 

I am not challenging you, I am asking how you would see it that way.  I also, at one point, wanted to see it that way.
Steve.

Quote from: ari moshe on May 21, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Steve,

I've been sitting with your astrological correlations to the 8 phases. Those correlations make sense to me as far as them seeming to describe the overall nature of the phase.

However I am wondering how it is at all possible that there ISN'T a clear and mathematically consistent correlation between the phases and the zodiac.

The reason why this is so perturbing to me is because the relationship between Aries and Cancer is a clearly definable relationship that can be measured by 90 degrees of separation. Likewise, the relationship between a new phase conjunction and a first quarter square is a clearly discernible relationship that can also be measured with a 90 degree elongation.

And so if we were to associate any zodiac sign to any phase, to me it seems intuitive that we would have to apply all the other zodiac sings to the other phases, according to the proper degree elongations.
Thank you,
Ari Moshe