School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

opposition aspect

Started by bluesky, Mar 22, 2010, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesky

He there,

my question is about the opposition aspect. I heard Deva talking on Kristin's show last week and she characterized the opposition as a "throwing off" aspect. I think I have seen Deva describe it this way on the forum before.

I haven't heard it described this way and I thought it was an interesting take. Usually it is described as an integrating or projecting configuration (at least from what I've read).

I'm hoping anyone here can elaborate on the throwing off - for example's sake, let's say the person has a planet in the 1st house opposing a planet in the 7th house. Is the 7th house planet, due to it's position in the "other" part of the chart, the energy that is being thrown off?

Say mars is in gemini in the 7th house - is it the energies expressed by mars in gemini that is being reworked in some way - is it being REJECTED (maybe I'm taking the "throw-off" too literally)? Also, how would the evolutionary state of the person play into this? assuming that the throwing off would be accomplished in very different ways depending on whether the person is consensus, individuated, or spiritual...

one more thing...since the nodal axis is a natural opposition, can this "throwing off" also be applied to it? this is an intriguing idea to me - since, from what I understand, the nodal axis is about integration. So maybe throwing off wouldn't apply to it...

thanks for any insight anyone here may have. ???

Deva

Hi, thanks for posting this question. I wanted to clarify my statements about an opposition, and let others add insight as well.  An opposition symbolizes that something has reached an extreme, and must be brought back into a state of balance. In order to do this, we must "throw off" specific dynamics symbolized by the planets by house and sign that are creating an extremity. For example, if I have Venus/Pluto oppostion, this dynamic would be specific to relationships in the context of the issues of equality, and reaching a balanced state of giving and receiving within relationships, and also the person's inner relationship with themselves. The oppostion symbolizes that the person is throwing off extremes relative to his or her approach to relationships in general, and must also change his or her inner relationship with him or herself that created these types of relationships. (The nodal axis is included in this).
Thanks for posting.
Deva

Kristin

Hi there,
Just a few things to add. Yes Blue sky, an opposition is an opportunity to throw off something and any opposition can be viewed as such, including say a transiting opposition of Mars opposing Pluto and so on. This can serve like a tuning fork for the Soul if they are getting off track at all, throwing off dynamics or forcing one into an experience that puts a spotlight on where things are out of balance. In a natal chart using your Mars and opposing a planet in your first house, can be a signature where your will/desires are opposing those of others..so you are learning to align your will, with the will of others and meeting people halfway. Depending on what that Mars is opposing, will explain what those opposing desires are about but certainly in the area of relationships. For example if that Mars is opposing Saturn, someone might continue to attract people that want to bulldoze them so the need here is to establish your own inner authority and platform of strength. To become very clear on what you need, yet still considering the needs of others and then making choices from there, ie not undermining your own needs.The opposition will continue happening through attracting more oppositions until you respond appropriately for your Soul's necessary growth and throw them off. Then when you are successful with throwing them off, those two planets making the opposition play out more like a conjunction - a powerful new beginning.

So instead of feeling overwhelmed by a natal opposition or feeling fear around seeing one on its way through transit..take the Mars lead and use it as a vehicle to accelerate your evolution.

Peace,
Kristin

bluesky

thanks Deva and Kristin for your answers  :)

Wendy

Quote from: Dhyana on Mar 25, 2010, 12:06 AM
It is such a subtle dynamic and I have to be so deliberately honest with my self here bc it is very easy for me to project either back onto the other or onto myself, creating a lot of disturbances and energy imbalance within relationships and/ or within my body. Often times, it leads to not being at all clear when to trust, whom to trust,what to trust and what/whom not to.  It is also a place where I can very easily end up opening my boundaries too much, or too little. It is like a razors edge. It is my life's work. I believe I am throwing off Self/Soul doubt and learning to honour the Soul in all and everybody I meet, BUT THIS TIME WITH DISCRIMINATION!

Yes, opposition is a major theme in my life as well, hence a life's work for sure especially with Pluto and Venus involved with similiar 1965 opposition.

I have felt for most of the years I have studied astrology that the oppositional aspect was one in which I was either embodied in one or other, especially as I first began a conscious journey, hence I was throwing off my familial past (4th house) or trying to embrace my own authority and work in the world (10th house).  Then as I worked with it further, I was able to embody both when I allowed both themes (planetary and house) to move through me in healing work and devotion to home (Saturn/Chiron opp Uranus Pluto Venus).

I wonder how this "throwing off" of the themes that come up given the nature of the opp aspect relate to the stages of soul evolution, especially when one has numerous planets in direct opposition and continues to move back and forth in an attempt to throw off the presenting themes.

Maybe this question should go on the other thread, just making lots of connections here.

Thanks for the post.

bluesky

Dhyana and Wendy,

my chart is loaded with oppositions - visually, it is a see-saw pattern with a t-square to nepture.  I often finding myself instinctively checking my own behaviour (is this person simply mirroring me?), imaging myself in someone else's shoes, etc. Very polarity!

Anyway, I have been contemplating the opposition along the following lines (with respect to evolutionary states):

consensus (may) = projection
individuated (may) = throwing off
spiritual (may) = integration of the polarities.

I realize this may be a simplistic view of the opposition aspect. I also realize that the chart needs to be considered as a whole, but that whole breaks down to parts...

Anyone who's got any ideas, insight - please feel free to jump in.

Elen

Quote from: bluesky on Mar 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
Dhyana and Wendy,

my chart is loaded with oppositions - visually, it is a see-saw pattern with a t-square to nepture.  I often finding myself instinctively checking my own behaviour (is this person simply mirroring me?), imaging myself in someone else's shoes, etc. Very polarity!

Anyway, I have been contemplating the opposition along the following lines (with respect to evolutionary states):

consensus (may) = projection
individuated (may) = throwing off
spiritual (may) = integration of the polarities.

I realize this may be a simplistic view of the opposition aspect. I also realize that the chart needs to be considered as a whole, but that whole breaks down to parts...

Anyone who's got any ideas, insight - please feel free to jump in.

Hi bluesky,

This is great.  I don't have any ideas/insights to contribute but this is so helpful for me in my ongoing efforts to understand how the dynamics of the chart are expressed differently depending on developmental stage.  Would you mind of I copied your post over to the evolutionary stages thread?  It would fit perfectly there...

Peace,
Ellen

bluesky

Hi Ellen,

no problem. I am going back to your thread about EA states myself to post a question. that thread keeps growing AND getting better and better ;D

Wendy

Thanks Bluesky.  I like the simplicity, it certainty helps when observing charts and working with the stages in consultations.