School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Desire to further understand the compensation aspect of Jupiter

Started by Eric, May 25, 2010, 03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Hi All,

Before exploring the nature of compensation, I just wanted to express my profound gratitude to Jeffrey for creating this map called EA. As I have been rereading the Pluto volumes (which often seems like the first time as new correlations surface and my understanding of the material progresses) the deeper my appreciation grows of the pure genius of this paradigm in revealing the stunning creativity our souls orchestrate. Thanks for the frame of reference, which has been instrumental in igniting a renewable source of reverence and relevance in the wonder of it all...:)(:

On to Jupiter and compensation/overcompensation. I was just watching the DVD on planetary archetypes (again) and had to stop to explore this notion of compensation (Jupiter) in further detail (Mercury).
This function of Jupiter seems to be in high gear within our society along with projection from the inconjunct to the 4th and our sense of security within society. It seems that our collective Jupiter has gone too far thus threatening our collective security and in fact our home where we all live. Which as I look at the current transits of  Jupiter in Balsamic conj. to Uranus, opp. Saturn Rx. (all late in signs) square Pluto Rx opp. So.Node conj. Lucifer, no wonder there is a strong urge for hang on to the remaining life vests tightly.

Is Jupiter/Sag./9th  in and of itself always about unbridled expression? Prone to overdo, unless checked by Saturn? Which sends my thoughts to the phasal relationship between these two. Yes?

The metaphor of driving a vehicle on an icy road comes to mind. The more cautiously one is driving, the less likelihood of having to compensate or avert potential disaster and by contrast, the faster one is driving in such conditions, the more likely such action is to put one in the ditch with the potential trip to the morgue oneself or the funeral of the pedestrian taken out through reckless abandon.

Also, if anyone cares to share anecdotal stories related to this type of compensation in any of the various ways it plays out, along with the attendant desires the soul has in manifesting this type of scenario, I would greatly welcome further insight into this dynamic.

Blessings,
Eric

Steve

Hi Eric

I'm not clear if you are correctly grasping the principle of compensation.  Not sure if some of the examples you are giving have much to do with compensating.

The gist of compensation is, (as an example) if a person feels inadequate and bad about themselves inside (Virgo-like) they may cultivate an outer persona that seems really self-confident and almost full of self (Leo like).    It works the other way around also.

Quote from: Eric on May 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
This function of Jupiter seems to be in high gear within our society along with projection from the inconjunct to the 4th and our sense of security within society. It seems that our collective Jupiter has gone too far thus threatening our collective security and in fact our home where we all live. Which as I look at the current transits of  Jupiter in Balsamic conj. to Uranus, opp. Saturn Rx. (all late in signs) square Pluto Rx opp. So.Node conj. Lucifer, no wonder there is a strong urge for hang on to the remaining life vests tightly.

QuoteIs Jupiter/Sag./9th  in and of itself always about unbridled expression?
no

QuoteProne to overdo
That  is one way it can manifest

Quoteunless checked by Saturn?
That is one way it can be "checked".

QuoteWhich sends my thoughts to the phasal relationship between these two. Yes?
The Jupiter-Saturn cycle is a very important 20 year cycle.

Here are some words Jeffrey wrote about it many years ago:

Again, Jupiter is correlating to your beliefs and how these beliefs are going to be linked or in harmony or disharmony with the consensus belief patterns of the culture in which you find yourself thus, impacting, i.e. beliefs do determine lifestyle, on your ability to economically survive. If one's beliefs are inherently antithetical to society's beliefs, one would have to create a lifestyle outside that society which impairs one's ability to earn a living, to make it financially.

Mercury in Pisces and Jupiter in Gemini in last quarter square would be confused about all kinds of ideas which come at them because they are susceptible to the prevailing ideas and would try to adopt them for themselves because they do not know what to think, Pisces. It is in a mutational state, crisis in consciousness, it is leaving behind that which has come before, but without conception, Pisces, and trying to compensate, Jupiter in Gemini, by adopting those Gemini ideas and calling them their own. But, because of the impulse of the last quarter, it will just throw out as it goes. It will adopt, apply for a while, throw out, adopt some more, throw out so there will be cycles of clarity where some ideas will work for a while, then they will not work which sets in motion a pattern of collecting more information, etc.     
The economic issue relative to philosophy is obvious. The Jupiter/Saturn cycle has a 20-year life, from conjunction to conjunction.and comes to a point of maturity at the opposition every ten years. When they are in a new phase, you have the impulse of a new economic philosophy relative to political context which is now initiated by whoever happens to be holding power. "Reaganomics" was new relative to what had just happened.

For example, in the 1920s, credit spending came into vogue with respect to the stock market, with futures, speculations, things based on paper rather than reality. We had a president, Harding, who created massive economic problems, who was then followed by Reagan's greatest hero. This new economic philosophy generated the great depression by 1930. Next came FDR and yet another economic philosophy. So the 1940s were prosperous with respect to a wartime economy, the initial seed of the industrial military complex. Then, again recession in the 1950s. The 1960s were a prosperous decade, a democratic balanced budget, Lyndon Johnson, based on another military economy, the Viet Nam war. The 1970s were another recession decade.. (Notice that the Democrats have generated prosperous times and not Republicans, despite the claims to the contrary.) Then comes along Mr. Reagan with his balanced budget by 1982! How many Americans bought into it? Remember the famous commercial "The shrinking dollar"? It is the economic philosophy of the party that is operating here, Saturn/Jupiter. So, we come to an opposition again in 1989 and 1990. It suggests that the 1990s might not be different no matter who is in power because things are too totally out of whack.

So, unless drastic measures are made, the 1990s may very well be, at least for the U.S., that is the context we are speaking of - drastic while at the same time, necessary. If the strength of the economy is based on foreign investments and most of the foreign countries own the gold which is that basis of the U S. economy, what happens when they buy out? It means that when investments in this country are no longer attractive, they can get a rate of return in another country better than this one. When it comes to money, there is no loyalty.

Eric, I suggest you go to Pluto Vol 1 and read about Pluto in the 9th house.   This will give you the core/key archetypes for 9th/Sag/Jupiter.   In EA these correlate to "natural law" and "natural times", to the intuition, to attempting to understand one's cosmological place in the Universe. 

The manifestations of 9th/Sag/Jupiter you refer to are distorted manifestations, when its carried to extremes and based on self interest - for example, it was during Pluto in Sag that we had the Internet stock bubble in the 90's and the housing bubble in the 2000's.   Even Greenspan called it "excessive exuberance", a very Sag term.  And it was Pluto in Cap that brought an end to the housing bubble, so in that case you are correct that Saturn checked the bubbly nature of Jupiter.  But that was only necessary because greed had entered the picture, something for nothing, and ever more, ever more, the sky's the limit.   Those archetypes are contained within the spectrum that Sag can manifest as but they are far from inevitable - only when the archetype is distorted by self-interest over carrying out natural intuitive intentions of sharing giving inclusion.
Steve

Dhyana

STEVE WRITES "The gist of compensation is, (as an example) if a person feels inadequate and bad about themselves inside (Virgo-like) they may cultivate an outer persona that seems really self-confident and almost full of self (Leo like).    It works the other way around also."

Hi Steve,
Could you say it, in your words, for the other way around? It would be helpful for me, to hear it said.

Thanks,
Dhyana

Steve

QuoteSTEVE WRITES "The gist of compensation is, (as an example) if a person feels inadequate and bad about themselves inside (Virgo-like) they may cultivate an outer persona that seems really self-confident and almost full of self (Leo like).    It works the other way around also."

A person with a big ego presenting themselves as humble and serving

Eric

Hi Steve,

QuoteI'm not clear if you are correctly grasping the principle of compensation.  Not sure if some of the examples you are giving have much to do with compensating.

Yeah, I'm trying to grasp the nature of compensation (which seems like an important concept to fully understand because one can see that dynamic occurring not only in people but on the planet itself as a natural response to prior extremes) from an brief aside that JWG mentioned on the DVD of Planetary Archetypes. He said that "compensation is another Jupiter function" referring in that instance specifically to how men (consensus patriarchal types) felt threatened by the rebalancing of power which occurred as Neptune transited Libra.

I reread the chapter on Pluto in Sag., and didn't find any reference there to compensation. So still trying to grok JWG's statement.

Essentially, compensation manifests as a form of rebalancing an attitude or behavior or organism which has swung outside the bounds of equilibrium. The reason for the original swinging outside the bounds would seem to have the intent of evolutionarily stimulating movement within a form where stasis has outlived its usefulness. Accordingly, the more energy expended in trying to remain the status quo, the more leverage is required to dislodge it. Just thinking out loud here.

In this light (assuming that I am somewhat on track in grasping the intent of compensation), the nature of this dynamic would be related to the karmic function of natural law as it relates to evolution itself. So in effect, the intention itself of evolution is to expand which happens sometimes gradually and other times in cataclysmic ways depending specifically on the extent to which natural law is either aligned with that intention or not.

Think I'd like to stop for the moment to hopefully receive more feedback regarding this matter. Also I hope there is a bit more clarity to this post vs. my last. Still trying to grasp the Jupiter function JWG tied to compensation.

Thanks,
Eric   

Steve

Hi Eric
Quote from: Eric on May 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to grasp the nature of compensation (which seems like an important concept to fully understand because one can see that dynamic occurring not only in people but on the planet itself as a natural response to prior extremes) from an brief aside that JWG mentioned on the DVD of Planetary Archetypes. He said that "compensation is another Jupiter function" referring in that instance specifically to how men (consensus patriarchal types) felt threatened by the rebalancing of power which occurred as Neptune transited Libra.

I reread the chapter on Pluto in Sag., and didn't find any reference there to compensation. So still trying to grok JWG's statement.

I directed you to Pluto Vol 1 chapter on Sag/9th not to read about compensation but because of your statement
QuoteIs Jupiter/Sag./9th  in and of itself always about unbridled expression? Prone to overdo, unless checked by Saturn? Which sends my thoughts to the phasal relationship between these two. Yes?
so that you could review the core Jup/9thSag archetypes and thus answer your own question about is it always about unbridled expression.  You probably didn't find much about unbridled expression in there at all, which was my point, that is one expression of Jup/9th/Sag but far from a key core one.   I understand now that you are trying to learn about compensation.  A deeper understanding of those archetypes overall might help you understand the role and extent compensation plays among them - to keep it in perspective.

I asked the question about compensation myself a long time ago.  Here is the transcript I found in the old message board archives:

Jupiter / Compensation
Posted by Steve on May 06, 2002 at 01:29:48:
Hi Jeffrey In the video while you are explaining 1st stage individuated you say that the typical reaction here is to compensate and that compensation is a Jupiter principle. I am not understanding the connection between compensation and Jupiter. Can you please explain?
Thank you, Steve

Jeffrey: Steve People in the beginnings of the first stage individuated do in fact feel very different than the consensus folks/state thru which they have just evolved and yet because it is relatively new it of course creates a deep sense of insecurity and anxiety in terms of fully acting upon this individuating impluse .. as a result of that fear such folks 'compensate' by way of trying to counteract this inner sense of insecurity and anxiety by creating the external appearance of normalcy including the very structures of their life .. including many 'friends' that come out of that very consenus .. 'normal' type jobs, etc .. thus creating a living lie because of the act of compensation .. all of us can 'compensate' in areas of our life relative to where we feel most insecure or powerless ..

Steve: Thanks... That part I understand. What is the connection between that and Jupiter? That is what I don't understand.

Jeffrey: Steve The connection is simply the fact that jupiter correlates to the dynamic of compensation .. no different than, say, venus has a correlation to values ..

Marc: steve ... i have heard jeffrey talk about the square from sagitarius to virgo. virgo and lack creating the need to compensate/exagerate (sag) for that lack

Steve: Marc - thank you, this is what I was after - Steve. Now I get it

QuoteEssentially, compensation manifests as a form of rebalancing an attitude or behavior or organism which has swung outside the bounds of equilibrium. The reason for the original swinging outside the bounds would seem to have the intent of evolutionarily stimulating movement within a form where stasis has outlived its usefulness. Accordingly, the more energy expended in trying to remain the status quo, the more leverage is required to dislodge it. Just thinking out loud here.

I don't think I agree with the way you phrased this Eric.  I would say compensation is a form of AVOIDING rebalancing.   Because it comes out of denial, where the person believes (Jupiter) that the way they are showing up IS the truth, when in fact it is a way of avoiding looking at (Virgo, denial) the actual reality, and pretending to be something other than what they really are.  That is not my definition of rebalancing.   If they OWNED the underlying condition and then practiced coming from a polarity to work towards balancing it, that I'd describe as rebalancing.  Denial can never be a path to equilbrium. 

QuoteIn this light (assuming that I am somewhat on track in grasping the intent of compensation), the nature of this dynamic would be related to the karmic function of natural law as it relates to evolution itself. So in effect, the intention itself of evolution is to expand which happens sometimes gradually and other times in cataclysmic ways depending specifically on the extent to which natural law is either aligned with that intention or not.

I'm not sure I'd call compensation a natural phenomena.  Its more like a survival mechanism.  A person feels so wounded inside they can't show up as what and where they really are - they pretend (fooling themselves) to be more than or less than what they actually are.  That is to survive.  If aligned with natural law, a person would just accept wherever they found themselves to be - why would they need to compensate?   

There's a big difference between being aware you feel highly inadequate, accepting that you do and showing up anyway with acceptance of your inadequacies (humility), and showing up acting like you are confident and self-assured, an adopted persona, when that is not at all where the person is within themselves.  In other words, compensation is more making a condition even more out of balance than it is rebalancing a condition.

Does this help?
Steve

bluesky

Hi Steve and Eric,

could I throw out an example here for analysis' sake?

say, pluto in scorpio opposite jupiter in taurus - the 1st stage individuated person feels deep inadequacies with respect to transformation, deep relationships, etc. (whatever is indicated by scorpio) and because of that compensates (jupiter) by showing up as very taurean - sefl-sufficient, etc.

also, I would like to clarify that compensation via jupiter is distinct to the 1st inidivuated state?

thanks for any feedback.

I'd been meaning to post about jupiter myself since I heard it mentioned on a recent Kristin Fontana show - something about jupiter indicating what a person needs to give up in order to make room for "something else".

Steve

hi bluesky

Quote from: bluesky on May 26, 2010, 04:51 PM
could I throw out an example here for analysis' sake?

say, pluto in scorpio opposite jupiter in taurus - the 1st stage individuated person feels deep inadequacies with respect to transformation, deep relationships, etc. (whatever is indicated by scorpio) and because of that compensates (jupiter) by showing up as very taurean - sefl-sufficient, etc.

Sure, that fits, as an example

Quotealso, I would like to clarify that compensation via jupiter is distinct to the 1st inidivuated state?

I would say that is not correct.  Compensation can show up in someone in any evolutionary stage where the person is not operating fully aligned with natural law.

QuoteI'd been meaning to post about jupiter myself since I heard it mentioned on a recent Kristin Fontana show - something about jupiter indicating what a person needs to give up in order to make room for "something else".

The thought is one that Jeffrey used to say, that where Jupiter is transiting it has gifts to bring you.  But you have to be willing to give something up before you can receive the gifts.  The "something" is not some random something that you pick out yourself.  Rather it is something that has become outmoded in the life and needs to be let go of.  I'd say its not a conscious process - Jupiter is intuition - one would just know what the something needs to be.  No letting go, no gifts.  Jupiter transits are more benign than say Saturn transits.

bluesky

Eric

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back on this, and for the info from the old message board.
The whole thing hasn't quite settled in yet, which maybe is indicative of a question which hasn't been fully formulated yet. The original impetus was sparked by Jeffrey's statement correlating those two things and I had a really big belly laugh when you got the response fom him:
QuoteJeffrey: Steve The connection is simply the fact that jupiter correlates to the dynamic of compensation .. no different than, say, venus has a correlation to values ..

I guess I'm missing the simply part.
I understand Marc's comment which is simple and does help to explain this partially. Maybe half, and it would seem to describe compensation from a psychological perspective for which EA wins grand prize in my view. Possibly this is the extent for which this comparison was meant.

As this subject has at its root, the archetype of Jupiter, I am still pondering the whole concept as it might relate to natural phenomenon as well. Looking at the etymology of the word compensation I found this: compensate
   1640s, from L. compensatus, pp. of compensare "to weigh one thing (against another)," thus, "to counterbalance," from com- "with" (see com-) + pensare, freq. of pendere "to weigh"

As I am sitting outside looking up at the full moon (which is quite lovely) at this moment, maybe the moon could be used to illuminate this concept I am trying to comprehend. According too prevailing theory, our moon was created from the impact of a large body to the Earth. Part of the earth was evidently sheared off and those parts accreted eventually into what I see tonight.

The Earth itself presumably had been without an orbiting satellite prior to this impact, and thus had to compensate or counterbalance as a result. Another form where this may be seen would be after a lightening strike in a forest which then causes a wildfire. The entire ecosystem affected by the fire would then have to compensate for its' new circumstances. Or on a cellular level, the introduction of a virus into an organism would cause that organism to compensate in some way as a reaction to the threat of the virus.
So with these examples there seems to be various scales at which compensation occurs, yet if your perspective was within the earth, or the forest, or the organism your response mechanism would be very much the same. Which points me back to your point Steve of compensation being a survival mechanism.

Maybe along with the crisis you related in the waxing square from Virgo to Sag there is also the adjustment or rebalancing which has to be made with the inconjunct from Sag to Taurus for the survival of the forest or organism or person.

Have to get off now or I'll be compensating with too much caffeine from lack of sleep tomorrow:)
Thanks for walking down this road with me Steve, I really appreciate what you have to say and look forward to any comments you may have.

Pleasant Dreams,
Eric

Steve

Great example of compensation. 

Extreme anti-gay California Republican state legislator, voted for every anti-gay bill that came up during his time in legislature.  In March was discovered coming out of a gay bar early in the morning. 

Compensation.

Now, recovery from compensation - owning who he is
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/05/former_family_values_ca_legislator_ashburn_comes_o.php

Thus we see compensating is not balancing any scale, its creating additional unbalance. 

Taking yourself back, owning who you are - that is what balances scales.

ari moshe

Here's his chart- (I put Sun on the first house for no birth time)
He said in the interview "I've been hiding"- made me wonder how Neptune came into play as well.

This whole thing started with the transiting nn was on his Jupiter. Being in Capricorn is so descriptive of the nature of his compensation- lying about who he is for the sake of social acceptance, fearing rejection etc.

Steve

Hi Ari

I think you got the year wrong on that chart - you have the birth year as 0194, which was 200 years after Jesus's time.

As far as what you said, I don't know enough about the guy to guess on evolutionary stage.  But his behaviors speak of 1st stage indiv, above and beyond any signature in his birth chart.  Living a lie, creating a fake reality attempting to fit in. 

Then comes a Plutonian sort of event, where his actual reality is exposed for the whole world to see, no doubt creating inner meltdown in him.  To his credit, instead of disappearing into the night out of public view, or claiming he is not gay (like Larry Craig did even after being busted) he goes to the opposite extreme, starts becoming an outspoken advocate for the way he's actually been all along, and against everything he's professed to be.  Saying in effect "I can no longer live a lie" - the intended lesson in 1st stage indiv. 

If we want to project into a future, its not too hard to see how he could over time become something like a militant gay rights advocate, and how a 2nd stage indiv identity could begin to develop around that (in this or future lives), with the tendency to over-identify with his new "unique" identity, subconsciously attempting to balance the scale for what he previously denied (through compensating, pretending to be something other than what he really was).  That is how these things work, oscillating from one polarity to the other (Libra-like) until over long periods of time equilibrium of inner synthesis of polarities develops - what we tend to call balance.  But balance is dynamic, not static - you can't "reach a state of balance" because the dynamics of balance are ever-shifting.  We have to learn to be flexible enough to ride that wave, wherever its going at any moment in time.

ari moshe

:D

It ends up that his actual nn is conjunct the Jupiter Neptune of the 2000 year old guy. Perhaps a prior incarnation as a Roman Senator?