Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: question for admin  (Read 1352 times)
Elen
Most Active Member

« on: Jun 28, 2010, 08:02 AM »

Hello,

I had something I wanted to run by the administrators.  I have been contemplating ways for me to start building community for myself in my new location and, obviously, it makes sense to branch out in the areas in which I have an interest.  One thought I had was to put out an offer to have monthly evolutionary astrology meetups (perhaps putting it out there for different communities - lgbt and astrology come to mind right off).  My thought was that I could bring a dvd to each meeting and we could watch that, then discuss.  I could then direct anyone who attends to this site, where they could learn more, ask questions, etc.  (I would NOT be presenting myself as a teacher of EA, just a fellow student.)  However, I wanted to know if those of you who run The School of Evolutionary Astrology would be ok with that.  One further thought I had was that I could charge a nominal fee - maybe $5.00 per month - and that would go directly to the school.  If anyone decided they wanted to purchase the material for themselves, they would no longer have to pay the monthly fee.  I have no idea whatsoever if there will be any interest in this idea if I put it out there, but, if you all are ok with it, I thought I'd give it a try.  Also, if you are ok with the idea but have modifications/other ideas, I'd very much like to hear those.

Thanks for considering my request,

Ellen
Steve
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2010, 08:45 AM »

Hi Ellen

This sounds fine to me.  That is just an opinion from me, not a definitive answer.  We don't really have a structure in place to make definitive answers on questions like this.  Nothing you suggested feels off to me.
Steve

Hello,

I had something I wanted to run by the administrators.  I have been contemplating ways for me to start building community for myself in my new location and, obviously, it makes sense to branch out in the areas in which I have an interest.  One thought I had was to put out an offer to have monthly evolutionary astrology meetups (perhaps putting it out there for different communities - lgbt and astrology come to mind right off).  My thought was that I could bring a dvd to each meeting and we could watch that, then discuss.  I could then direct anyone who attends to this site, where they could learn more, ask questions, etc.  (I would NOT be presenting myself as a teacher of EA, just a fellow student.)  However, I wanted to know if those of you who run The School of Evolutionary Astrology would be ok with that.  One further thought I had was that I could charge a nominal fee - maybe $5.00 per month - and that would go directly to the school.  If anyone decided they wanted to purchase the material for themselves, they would no longer have to pay the monthly fee.  I have no idea whatsoever if there will be any interest in this idea if I put it out there, but, if you all are ok with it, I thought I'd give it a try.  Also, if you are ok with the idea but have modifications/other ideas, I'd very much like to hear those.

Ellen

adina

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2010, 09:45 AM »

Hi Ellen,

I appreciate your need to build community in a new location.  As a member of the Council, though, I'd like to ask what DVDs you have in mind before I add my two cents' worth.   Smiley  Do you mean the Pluto School DVDs, or individual lecture/workshop DVDs?

Adina
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010, 09:53 AM by adina » Logged
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:30 AM »

Hi Adina,

Thanks for your response.  I have both, but I was thinking only of the school dvd's - the 27 dvd's issued by The School of Evolutionary Astrology.

Hi Ellen,

I appreciate your need to build community in a new location.  As a member of the Council, though, I'd like to ask what DVDs you have in mind before I add my two cents' worth.   Smiley  Do you mean the Pluto School DVDs, or individual lecture/workshop DVDs?

Adina
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:34 AM »

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your response.  I realize your answer is not definitive and I will wait to hear from others.  One further question I wanted to ask was, thinking about the economic times, would it feel acceptable to put in a qualifier about the $5.00 fee, ie, for those who feel they can afford it...?  Also, my brother, who is letting me stay with him for the meanwhile, might possibly also be interested, and I was wondering if you (and the Council generally) would feel ok, should he decide he wants to, to share the dvd's with him.  I was thinking in his case that there would be no fee..... It is also quite possible that he may choose not to pursue this option.  He's very interested in what I have talked to him about re: evolutionary astrology and I would like to be able to offer him this possibility if the Council is ok with it.  (He is currently unemployed, as am I, though in his case, it looks like he may have found a job.)

Peace,
Ellen
Hello,

Ellen
Steve
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2010, 12:57 PM »

Hi Ellen
I realize your answer is not definitive and I will wait to hear from others.  One further question I wanted to ask was, thinking about the economic times, would it feel acceptable to put in a qualifier about the $5.00 fee, ie, for those who feel they can afford it...?  Also, my brother, who is letting me stay with him for the meanwhile, might possibly also be interested, and I was wondering if you (and the Council generally) would feel ok, should he decide he wants to, to share the dvd's with him.  I was thinking in his case that there would be no fee..... It is also quite possible that he may choose not to pursue this option.  He's very interested in what I have talked to him about re: evolutionary astrology and I would like to be able to offer him this possibility if the Council is ok with it.  (He is currently unemployed, as am I, though in his case, it looks like he may have found a job.)

The reason Adina asked you if you were thinking of using the 27 School DVD's or the workshop DVD's is because we don't really want the school DVD's being shared with anyone.  Back in the days when the school was distributed on VCR tapes new students had to sign a form stating they would not share the tapes with anyone else.  We didn't implement that rule when we went to the DVD version.  But we really don't want the school course shared with people who are not students, even people with a strong interest, because it is valuable and unique information, which is why there is a cost associated with it.  The cost helps people make a commitment in becoming a student, realizing it is something that is worth the price to them.  In addition that is how the school supports itself and maintains its projects, like this message board.

I didn't understand, in my original comments to you this morning, that you were referring to sharing the School course with others.  It will be fine to share the workshop dvd's under the plan you suggested.  Also you can have discussion of material in the EA books, the Pluto books, Deva's books, etc.  In other words, there is plenty of EA material available besides the DVD course that people can learn about EA from, and we much prefer that you use these other materials for your study group.

As far as people who can't afford $5 to watch the workshop dvd's, sure that is fine.

I'm sorry for my earlier confusion.   Adina contacted me about this before, and after discussing it, this is what we concluded makes the most sense. 
thank you
Steve

Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2010, 01:18 PM »

Hi Ellen
I realize your answer is not definitive and I will wait to hear from others.  One further question I wanted to ask was, thinking about the economic times, would it feel acceptable to put in a qualifier about the $5.00 fee, ie, for those who feel they can afford it...?  Also, my brother, who is letting me stay with him for the meanwhile, might possibly also be interested, and I was wondering if you (and the Council generally) would feel ok, should he decide he wants to, to share the dvd's with him.  I was thinking in his case that there would be no fee..... It is also quite possible that he may choose not to pursue this option.  He's very interested in what I have talked to him about re: evolutionary astrology and I would like to be able to offer him this possibility if the Council is ok with it.  (He is currently unemployed, as am I, though in his case, it looks like he may have found a job.)

The reason Adina asked you if you were thinking of using the 27 School DVD's or the workshop DVD's is because we don't really want the school DVD's being shared with anyone.  Back in the days when the school was distributed on VCR tapes new students had to sign a form stating they would not share the tapes with anyone else.  We didn't implement that rule when we went to the DVD version.  But we really don't want the school course shared with people who are not students, even people with a strong interest, because it is valuable and unique information, which is why there is a cost associated with it.  The cost helps people make a commitment in becoming a student, realizing it is something that is worth the price to them.  In addition that is how the school supports itself and maintains its projects, like this message board.

I didn't understand, in my original comments to you this morning, that you were referring to sharing the School course with others.  It will be fine to share the workshop dvd's under the plan you suggested.  Also you can have discussion of material in the EA books, the Pluto books, Deva's books, etc.  In other words, there is plenty of EA material available besides the DVD course that people can learn about EA from, and we much prefer that you use these other materials for your study group.

As far as people who can't afford $5 to watch the workshop dvd's, sure that is fine.

I'm sorry for my earlier confusion.   Adina contacted me about this before, and after discussing it, this is what we concluded makes the most sense. 
thank you
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your clarification.  The reasoning makes perfect sense and I will not proceeed to share the dvd materials with others. 

Adina,

Thanks for jumping in and getting that clarified.

Peace,
Ellen
Deva

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2010, 08:14 AM »

Hi Ellen-just wanted to say this feels like a good way to proceed with this idea, and I hope you are able to share this EA material with others who are interested in learning.
Thanks
Deva
Bradley J
Very Active Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:48 PM »

Ellen,
Thanks for asking this question.  I have had similar thoughts and desires, but have remained within the community of this mb and my private studies.

Blessings,
Bradley

Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:41 PM »

Hi Ellen-just wanted to say this feels like a good way to proceed with this idea, and I hope you are able to share this EA material with others who are interested in learning.
Thanks
Deva

Hi Deva,

Thanks so much for your response.  Based on Steve and Adina's input, I would like to clarify.  My understanding is that the school would rather I not share the 27 dvd course dvd's, but it would be ok to share the independent lecture dvd's.  Is this also what you are saying?  Thanks so much for answering.

Peace,

Ellen
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:31 AM »

I really appreciate that idea Ellen. Just letting everyone know, I'll be gone for a week...
Deva

« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:17 AM »

Hi Ellen-yes that's correct. As long as you don't share the 27 dvds the idea sounds really good to me.
Deva
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2010, 06:48 AM »

Hi Deva and All,

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement of this idea.  Hopefully I will find people who are interested.  It would be so wonderful to feel a sense of localized community in addition to the community here on this website.  It would also be a great stabilizer for me in terms of study.

Peace,
Ellen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Video