School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Guru-disciple path

Started by mountainheather, Aug 24, 2010, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ari moshe

Bluesky, you might really like that Dan Millman book, which is the same one I referred to "Way of the Peaceful Warrior".

QuoteI guess my question would be, is it possible for a person to evolve to the spiritual stage and have a streak of violence, which could be transformed by a spiritual practice such as martial arts.

To address that question, astrologically there are so many possible paths depending on the karmic and evolutionary condition of a soul. For example, I know a soul who is in the spiritual state who has the sn in Aquarius in the 1st house, squaring Uranus in Scorpio in the 9th. Prior to this life he has trained extensively in martial arts- possibly with special roles to fulfill, traveling long distances, sneaking into places, doing spy work etc. In this lifetime, he knows how to fight. Strangers sense his energy and try to pick fights with him all the time. He has learned to use his martial knowledge only when absolutely neccesary. He does not ever want to be violent towards anyone. He is currently in a committed relationship and raising a family. So in this case he has learned to transmute his anger by way of opening his heart to being a householder, being a partner, and letting go of the solo path.

On the flip side-
I just counseled a soul who has Pluto in Libra in the 10th, NN in Scorpio in the 1st, with Neptune in Sag in the 1st (not conjunct) which squares Neptune in Virgo in the 9th. What did I recommend to her? That she explore intensely rigorous physical activities such as Kundalini yoga, and or martial arts.  She has one hell of a lot of suppressed anger and a karmic pattern of self destruction/masochism.
Martial arts would be a very appropriate spiritual practice for her, which in this case would help her learn how to be defensive in a way that is natural and necessary. This would allow enable her to become more responsive and active in pursuing her own dharma, on her own.
Ari Moshe

Elen

Hi bluesky,

To follow up on what Ari wrote, I was also thinking of "The Art of War".  I have read only bits of it, but more have heard comments about it here and there.  Really, one's first effort is how to AVOID war.  If you think about that, that in itself leads the way to a very profound spiritual practice.  Also, it has always been my understanding that use of one's martial arts skills - the direct physical aspect of it - is meant to be a last resort.  Again, that to me would suggest the possibility of profound spiritual practice.  Also, with regard to the body itself, I think there is a middle way between complete narcissism and complete denial.  Our bodies are a gift.  Caring for it and enjoying it I don't see as contrary to a spiritual focus.  What Ari wrote about his Yoga teacher's reminder of why they are doing Yoga really struck me.  That is exactly what I have been trying to get to on my own journey down the "personal trainer" path.  Just couldn't put it into words and couldn't quite contact it because I hadn't heard it spoken (thank you, Ari!) and it is definitely not the norm in the field.  But that doesn't make it not a possibility...
Peace,
Ellen

PS Thanks, Ari, for Dan's correct last name and the name of his book.

Elen

Hi bluesky,

Here's a link to a video of Shi Yang Ming.  I definitely think it shows his spiritual orientation.

http://www.usashaolintemple.org/video-onestepbeyond/

Ellen

bluesky

Steve and Ari, thanks for your feedback.  Ellen, thanks for the link.

:)

PatriciaW

Oh I just read this... this has been an area of intrest to me as it shows up so much in regression work. In reality if anyone has been incaranting in say the last 4,000 years much of the history of humannity has been one of warring. In my view we are all working thru the collective wounds of war. It seems to me that warriors go thru a long karmic history with war with a few distinct phases that can play out thru a series of lifetimes. A turing point lifetime seems to be one of disillusionment, where the warrior or soldier sees into the stupidty of repeated killing, from that point onwards it seems the soul works to uplift or purify all of the ingrained warrior skills thru several lifetimes essentially setting the person on a path of becoming a spiritual warrior...

Stacie

Quote from: bluesky on Aug 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
... there must be people going through the spiritual stage with a physical "edge", and this would be a way of channelling it.  I'm thinking of David Carradine in Kung Fu.

Hi Bluesky,

It may also be useful to consider that there is an entire soul type that correlates with the naval chakra...souls who in essence reflect the nature of this chakra..pluto/mars.  Spiritualization of these souls would naturally embrace paths that allow them to harness and spiritualize the "˜physical edge' that is intrinsic to their natures/soul structure.  There's a chapter in Autobiography of a Yogi that to me, reflects the specific focus you are talking about...chapter 7 I think it is..The Tiger Swami..

Stacie

Stacie

oops..nope its chapter 6

bluesky

thank you, Stacie! I have access to that book and will look this up.