School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Asteroid Goddesses - the undistorted Natural/Divine Feminine

Started by Linda, Sep 06, 2010, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

Hi Everyone,

Lilith - Ceres - Pallas - Vesta - Juno - Sedna - Eris - Amazon (Amazone)
- or any other

The Asteroid Goddesses correlate to the Natural Feminine and her expression of the intuitive "feeling self."  Patriarchal projections and psychological crises have distorted the natural meanings of the Feminine - so let's dig deep and examine the core archetypal principles that revive the actual, natural expression of the Asteroid Goddesses along the lines suggested by Brenda, Rad and Kristin recently.

Quote by Brenda:
.......if you look at the archetypal meanings of some of the Asteroid goddesses coming into prominence, such as Sedna, Eris, Lilith--in a patriarchal world, we get interpretations that are focused on their anger, retribution, etc, so the feminine continues to be distorted. With Ceres, we get examples of that linked to abductions and abuses of women, more related to the famine aspect, than the nurturing and abundance the Goddess holds.

Quote by Rad:
It could be very useful to examine the patriarchal overlay/projections into these natural asteroid Goddesses. And in that examination to recreate the actual, NATURAL, meanings and correlations to those asteroids.

Quote by Kristin:
I recently saw a movie that perfectly reflects the results of what happens when you abuse and destroy a natural Lilith. The movie is called "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - a Danish movie and the first of a trilogy. The lead woman in this movie is the embodiment of a Distorted Lilith - a movie where some sweet justice is served... by her.  Underneath her understandable wrath and revenge is an echo of her raw feminine beauty, which includes her fearlessness, sexual prowess and power.  I agree with Rad that it would be useful and valuable to explore some of the Goddess asteroids and the NATURAL meanings of these archetypes. Goddess Bless the Goddess.

Kristin

Hi Linda,

I would like to also add the asteroid Amazon - shown as Amazone in the ephemeris.
I love your fighting spirit - let's Go FOR IT!

Peace,
Kristin

Linda

Juno

Juno is associated with the signs of Libra and Scorpio.  She is the Goddess of Marriage and represents the capacity for committed relationships utilizing the feminine energies to express creativity, sensitivity, equality, refinement, sharing and faithfulness.

In Greek mythology she was known as Hera, Goddess of the Earth and Moon Phases.  Her husband Jupiter, King of the Heavens, had many affairs, slowly stripping her of her powers;  nevertheless she vowed to stay faithful even though her ideals were never met.  In the on-and-off-again relationship, she became portrayed as a jealous, possessive, manipulative, vindictive and raging shrew. 

Patriarchal distortions:

* the "powerless" woman vowed to an unequal marriage
* the "little woman" behind the big man
* the "battered wife" in domestic violence
* the "neurotic wife" whose needs are thwarted
* the "shrew" of violent temper and speech
* the wife "tied to the kitchen sink"
* marital collapse:  the unfaithful husband and the betrayed wife
* the woman denied expression of her natural self
* the sexless marriage
* the rejected, victimized, and displaced woman

Revival of natural expression for the Asteroid Goddess, Juno:

* equality and balance in relationships
* need for commitment and consistency
* need for joy, passion, intimacy and humour
* mutual sharing, love, honesty and understanding
* women reclaiming their power
* full expression of one's creativity
* the need for space for oneself
* self-sufficient rather than co-dependent relationships

Linda

Quote from: Kristin on Sep 06, 2010, 07:39 PMI love your fighting spirit - let's Go FOR IT!

Hi Kristin!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I hope others will join in.

Love,
Linda

Bradley J

This is great! 
Thanks for starting this thread Linda

Goddess Bless,
Bradley

Elen

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for starting this thread.  I am very interested in learning more about these archetypes and will mostly be reading along as I don't have much to contribute.  However, your post brought up a question for me about faithfulness.  I'm having a hard time understanding this term outside of my own patriarchal conditioning and I'm wondering if you and/or others could describe it as it might express itself in a more natural way.

In a patriarchal way, faithfulness to me seems to imply self-sacrifice and loyalty, but loyalty to patriarchal norms/ideas/etc, not to natural law.  Any other ideas on this (how faithfulness plays out in patriarchal terms)?  Hope this question is ok for this thread.  It felt important for me to understand within the context of the asteroids/goddesses we're exploring.  But if you think it is better to post as a separate topic, let me know and I can do that.

Peace and gratitude,

Ellen

Rad

Ellen, et-al,

Juno, in natural law, correlates to the power of commitment to one other where both in that commitment are themselves defined by Natural Laws: the natural masculine, and the natural feminine. Juno correlates in this way to the power of each to help facilitate the growth and evolution of the other, and thus the ongoing evolution of themselves within the context of the committed relationship. Additionally, Juno correlates, in Natural Law, to the evolution of our sexuality within the context of a committed relationship: to the point where the deepening sexuality between the two  becomes a vehicle of Soul evolution. In the end, it correlates to using the vehicle of sexuality to create a trance state wherein the inner Godhead can be experienced within because of the trance like state that suspends the ego in such a way that a gravitational shift occurs, for certain amount of time, so that the center of gravity is then in the Soul itself.

This is very different that the patriarchal conditioning of 'faithfulness' correlates mainly to the women being expected to remain faithful even as the patriarchal man gives himself the right to be with others, while maintaining his 'committed' relationship to his partner. The typical dual standards and hypocrisy that emanates from the patriarchy in every way.

God Bless, Rad

Rad

Hi All,

Here is a great link to a site about Goddesses. It lists all the various Goddesses, and the cultures they come from. By clicking on whatever one you wish will bring up a his/herstory of that Goddess.

http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/goddess-myths.htm

God Bless, Rad

BrendaP

Linda, you are so well organized and very clear about this.

Thank you Rad for the site.

I have listened to Demetra George on Kristen's show, and will share some of the notes I took from that. I have also started reading Jean Shinoda Bolen's work on the Goddesess, and as a psychotherapist she gives examples for empowering and healing through the archetypes.

One thing Bolen noted about Juno/Hera, was that her retribution was not directed back to her husband who was deserving due to his philandering and betrayal, but rather directed at the other women he was involved in or taken out on their children. In a male dominated system a woman then must manipulate and do things in a more underhanded, indirect way. I don't have concrete examples at hand, but several instances of a mother killing her children to get back at a husband, have shown up.

Per my notes from D. George, Juno shows what you need day to day to stay in a relationship--this being demonstrated by the sign Juno is in. It shows the need for equal, just, fair partnership.

In the Myth, she gave up her power to her partner, who then, did not live up to his committments. This George says is her pathos lies in that she didn't get what she was promised, while giving up a lot of her own power . It will also show "cycles of leaving and returning, the tit for tat reciprocation that goes on in marriages."

Would Juno at the consensus level, be more representative of the patriarchal distortion?  A woman who marries a man, deriving her own power and status in society relative to this man--who does not honor her or their committment--she can't retaliate at him directly, so she takes it out on others.

BrendaP

Am on an old, slow compter, having challenges.

Continuing, about the levels of Juno... (and I am not fully clear, but putting it out there)

Juno at the Individuated level--would be more reflective of the undistorted feminine, in that she is not in subjugation in her marriage, that she retains her power, is able to be in a fair, equitable relationship. She would not stay in a relationship if the committment was violated and not reparable.

Juno at the Spiritual level--taking this from my notes from D. George--representing Tantric union of opposites--using the union for spiritual progress, Demetra says this is especially with Juno/Neptune or Vesta contacts.

Thanks.

Elen

Quote from: Rad on Sep 07, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ellen, et-al,

Juno, in natural law, correlates to the power of commitment to one other where both in that commitment are themselves defined by Natural Laws: the natural masculine, and the natural feminine. Juno correlates in this way to the power of each to help facilitate the growth and evolution of the other, and thus the ongoing evolution of themselves within the context of the committed relationship. Additionally, Juno correlates, in Natural Law, to the evolution of our sexuality within the context of a committed relationship: to the point where the deepening sexuality between the two  becomes a vehicle of Soul evolution. In the end, it correlates to using the vehicle of sexuality to create a trance state wherein the inner Godhead can be experienced within because of the trance like state that suspends the ego in such a way that a gravitational shift occurs, for certain amount of time, so that the center of gravity is then in the Soul itself.

This is very different that the patriarchal conditioning of 'faithfulness' correlates mainly to the women being expected to remain faithful even as the patriarchal man gives himself the right to be with others, while maintaining his 'committed' relationship to his partner. The typical dual standards and hypocrisy that emanates from the patriarchy in every way.

God Bless, Rad

Hi Rad,
Thank you so much.  I believe I understand now.  In matriarchal times, when people were living according to natural law, monogamy was not the norm.  HOWEVER, faithfulness (ie, commitment to one another) was one possible way that 2 people could choose, and this was done when 2 people were making a commitment (ie, their own decision based on free choice) to foster each other's growth and in some cases foster each other's relationship to the Divine. Is this correct?  And is this (faithefulnees/commitment within natural law) more likely to be the exception than the norm?

Thank you.

Ellen

Linda

Quote from: BrendaP on Sep 07, 2010, 02:45 PM
In the Myth, she gave up her power to her partner, who then, did not live up to his commitments. This George says is her pathos lies in that she didn't get what she was promised, while giving up a lot of her own power. It will also show "cycles of leaving and returning, the tit for tat reciprocation that goes on in marriages."

Hi Brenda,

I also caught Kristin's radio show with Demetra George (wonderful!) in which it was discussed that some mythologists considered "that Juno willingly gave over her power to Jupiter" and that women want to give their power away to their husbands when they're married.  

The deeper meaning and reason behind giving her power away was out of an expectation and desire for a deeper, more equitable union where true intimacy and depth could be shared (Libra).  (Natural Law)

In Jupiter's tyranny, Juno was forced to wear a chastity belt, while he philandered about, completely ignoring her.  Her rage came from the total subjugation of her power (Scorpio).  In committing and sacrificing herself to him, she was deprived of her sacred sexuality customs, belief system and rituals.  She was unable to express her "natural self," nor able to express her unique individuality within the marriage.   (Distortion)

We can see the early origins of "man-made guilt" : the shame of leaving a marriage, the shame experienced by a displaced woman left to fend for herself in a patriarchal dominated society, being "owned" by a man like a piece of property.  (Distortion)

Juno would not give up - but stayed for the fight (Scorpio).  The patriarchy distorted the ability for women to defend and protect themselves, and this how they came to be known as "the weaker sex."  Why did she keep going back to him?  This is typical of modern domestic violence scenarios.  (Distortion)

Another example of patriarchal distortion is Jupiter's total disregard for not only his wife, but also for the women that he used along the way.  The term "woman hater" comes to mind.  Perhaps the early origins of rape, having power over another.  (Distortion)

In Natural Law, the couple are equal, not superior/inferior to one another.  They would naturally share their resources.  (Natural Law)

Brenda said:
QuoteWould Juno at the consensus level, be more representative of the patriarchal distortion?  A woman who marries a man, deriving her own power and status in society relative to this man--who does not honor her or their commitment--she can't retaliate at him directly, so she takes it out on others.

I would agree that this type of arrangement is evident in the 'consensus' level.  Open marriage could be evident in the 'individuated' level.  A woman taking her rage and misplaced anger out "on others" is definitely a distortion.

Rad

Hi Ellen,

"HOWEVER, faithfulness (ie, commitment to one another) was one possible way that 2 people could choose, and this was done when 2 people were making a commitment (ie, their own decision based on free choice) to foster each other's growth and in some cases foster each other's relationship to the Divine. Is this correct?"

Yes.

"And is this (faithefulnees/commitment within natural law) more likely to be the exception than the norm?"

It was more of the exception than the norm. And one of the key reasons for that is the evolutionary / biological imperative to create ongoing diversification within the gene pool that allowed the immune systems within the species to keep evolving in order to deal with the equally mutating, and evolving, nature of bacterias, viruses, parasites, and fungus.

God Bless, Rad

Elen

Quote from: Rad on Sep 08, 2010, 10:28 AM

It was more of the exception than the norm. And one of the key reasons for that is the evolutionary / biological imperative to create ongoing diversification within the gene pool that allowed the immune systems within the species to keep evolving in order to deal with the equally mutating, and evolving, nature of bacterias, viruses, parasites, and fungus.

God Bless, Rad

Hi Rad,
Thank you so much for your answers.  I have just one follow-up, if you have time.  In the above quote, you say that it "was" the norm and the reasons why.  I understand that it is not the norm now (at least the stated norm or the ideal), but wouldn't it still hold true re: the immunological reasons for it still, ideally speaking (ie, in terms of natural law) to STILL be the norm today (ie, non-monogamy).  It is quite striking to me the # of auto-immune dieseases now and just the level that the human species seems to be susceptible to disease generally...

Peace,
Ellen

Linda

Sedna  
the return of the Divine Feminine

* Inuit Goddess of the Arctic Deep.
* Her 10,000 year orbit coincides with the rise of the patriarchy and the beginning of agriculture.
* Discovered November 2003.
* She is a new world goddess rather than old world.
* Named after the Inuit goddess who lives at the bottom of the Arctic ocean.
* Planetoid;  red coloured;  3/4 the size of Pluto;  10,500+ year orbit.
* She cycles through the "inner Oort cloud."
* We are ready to incorporate her archetypal meaning into our evolutionary unfoldment.

"The last time Sedna was this close to the Sun, Earth was just coming
out of the last Ice Age.  The next time it comes back, the
world might again be a completely different place."

[Michael Brown, one of Sedna's discoverers]

The Myth - sacrifice, betrayal, abandonment, redemption

Briefly, one version of the myth tells of a beautiful young woman Sedna who marries a seabird disguised as a handsome young man.  She suffers betrayal in the unhappy marriage.  Her father rescues her and they set off in a boat.  A raging storm blows up, and to calm the sea, her father throws her overboard.  Clinging tightly to the side of the boat, her father chops off her fingers one by one.  As her fingers fall into the water they turn into whales, seals and sea-lions.  When all her fingers are gone, she sinks to the bottom of the sea to become the Immortal Sea Goddess.  As the Mother of all Sea Creatures, she presides over all fish hunted for food.  If not respected, she sends starvation to punish the humans.  Shamans must descend into the deep, past the abyss of the dead, to soothe her, in order that the food supply continues.  When she is treated with respect, she releases her bounty.

Sedna's message

* Affects cycles of growth on the Earth.
* Deals with the cyclical relationship between humanity and Earth's bounty (or withholding of her gifts).
* Teaches respect for the oceans, the biological origin of life on Earth.
* Sends a harsh warning as our oceans become polluted.
* Re-focuses on the rights of women, children, and the environment.
* Brings balance between the sexes, races, and species.
* Deals with vast millenia, and a new level of cosmic understanding.

Since Sedna is so "new," perhaps we can formulate some deeper meanings in line with Natural Law that can be attributed to her?  

Sedna presently sits at 22.35 deg Taurus Rx.