Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Dec 16, 2019, 06:46 AM
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Asteroid Goddesses - the undistorted Natural/Divine Feminine  (Read 118668 times)
Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #285 on: Jun 09, 2019, 05:46 AM »

Hi Kristin and Nerissa,

Kristin, really loved this  Grin and that you took the time to answer and bring your Wisdom, thank you!

does reflect a changing of the guards and while all women will not dive into the freedom with a new pair of wings, it will energize more acknowledgement of the fire that burns within. It will give women more courage to not only ask for what they need but to honor what they need without apologizing for it.

So agree... Great image! I was thinking about it and there is a natural sense of maturity coming with accepting the answers one gets. Meaning the answers will always be correct from the soul's point of view, probably specially at this times with the Feminine issues coming so strongly, and women can show their personal sense of inner authority in accordance to their higher self not if they get or not get what they thought they wanted or needed, and whether or not personal truth fits within the structure of those needs. In sense that knowing what one needs comes also with the knowledge one can meet its own needs, sometimes can't and that doesn't diminished them in anyway, or literally fly to meet it and if it is in the spirit of the times. Personal truth seems very much the glue that is putting all together moving forward.

Also ended up getting the book you mentioned in a matter of minutes, even though my time for reading now is very limited gotta appreciate times when library keeps growing now with jupiter traveling my third house  Wink adding to Rad's previous recommendations earlier in the thread, hope i can catch up with the information slowly!

Nerissa, thank you so much for your kind words   Smiley
It's true right? and also amazing.
Now there is one thing you said it's also quite interesting for me, the fact we are on similar 'boats', right when i was drawn in the past couple of days, don't quite remember how and why, to the the asteroid Sedna.

There is a lot of information already in page 1/2 of this thread, and as you might know, Sedna's many approaches to the myth all agree that at some point she ended up in a boat with a her father that then cut off her fingers and let her drown in the Sea where she remained ever since.

I have not come to many conclusions by myself yet, but simply seems she is letting us know of the importance to now bringing her back. The times we face, survival, and the fact that she travels slowly and is for years on the last degrees of Taurus, one of Lilith's south nodes, the one that also brings up issues of survival for women's natural roots. She seems also to be a symbol of being lost, the Sea, the Spirit, on the consequences of the abuse of the "male patriarchal God", the father, that cut off her fingers, or her ability to do for herself.

I like to add to the myth the story of the Skeleton Woman from Clarissa Pinkola Éstes in Women Who Run With the Wolves, because it's like a follow up on the story, on bringing her back that is beautiful. Just like Rad mentions (pag. 2 of the thread) about the discovery chart making Sedna's chart very connected to Pluto's chart, and the fact that Éstes, shows Skeleton Woman as Life/Death/Life aspect of women and their capacity to regenerate, if only we All accept things live and die, against all delusions all should be pretty, avoiding dealing with the reality of the deep stuff. This what it looks like she brings. But i will dive in a bit more and if anyone has any insights to share on it that would be great! :-)

Abraço,
Helena

P.S. Just noticed current Jupiter in transit is conjunct Sedna's Pluto discovery chart!
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 04:03 AM by Helena » Logged
Nerissa

« Reply #286 on: Jun 17, 2019, 02:53 PM »

Thank you again, Helena - more wonderful thoughts!

I don't have a lot to add - really just want to pipe in & say thanks & keep thread going...

The myth of Sedna has always resonated with me. I have also lived in those regions where her myth is organic. It's quite the story of betrayal - & yet the people depend on her for their livelihoods - they cannot catch the seals or other food if she doesn't help them: & yet she is cast away....entirely alone at the bottom of the sea...

To have cast away the divine feminine (not just 'women' or 'females') is to have cast away the root of wholeness and inclusiveness, the totality wherein there are no opposites anymore or divisiveness - instead of living in that wholeness they now have to 'consult' with her to access their natural birthright: as though it were outside of themselves versus within.....seems to sum up patriarchy to my mind!

Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #287 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02:13 AM »

Hi Nerissa, All,

completely agree with you Nerissa. From what i've been understanding she is all about recovering that wholeness within. The message from the myth ends up being one of self-respect, like she embodies the whole relationship Yod, truly mastering it from an undistorted perspective. As you say, unlike many other Goddesses she gives/nurtures/grants wishes only when people come to her and show respect, a highly develop Libra trait, very different from conditional giving, also very grounded in herself, deep in the Sea... Wow Libra, Taurus, Neptune!

I have been really curious and fascinated with Sedna relative to Lilith and, even though diving in astronomy makes me feel like a kid in a playground, also in a very good way :-), i found out some interesting things.

From what i've seen so far, Sedna for me has an underlying role on the re-emergence of the sacred feminine that is starting to show itself coming from the depths, and She really comes from the depths! A trans-Neptunian object, it's one of the most distant known so far in our solar system.
Astrologically Sedna is very much the embodiment of the water trine, an actual Sea/Trans-Neptunian Goddess, not only showing in the discovery chart, but well, she is in the depths of the sea, far far away and still nurturing body and soul of humans, whether we consciously know it or not. It seems Sedna has a special place in the collective unconscious.

One of the facts that most stands out to me when i started searching briefly is coming to know it takes her circa 12000 years to complete one cycle around the sun, and making the correlation that 12000 years is too half of one Yuga cycle, if i am correct. It is intriguing!
Searching further it seems the numbers from that cycle change, depending on the sources, range from 10000 to 12000 years, the most precise being 11487. Still, in any case, around 12000 years.
Then, seeing in the beginning of the thread Linda mentions this orbit "coincides with the rise of the patriarchy and the beginning of agriculture" seems to point in that way? Rad would this correlation be correct?

If we focus on her connection to Lilith and Lilith's nodes is even more interesting to find out that Sedna is thought to come closest to the Sun in the years 2075-76, a rather rare event.
Considering Lilith's south nodes range from 25 Taurus to 19 Cancer (and this last being conjunct Pluto's north node), we know she started making a conjunction to 25 Taurus in 2016.
At this time, 2016, the nodal axis was sn pisces/nn virgo, Neptune and chiron were both in Pisces and Saturn was in Sagittarius, conjunct Sedna's discovery natal Pluto, there was an earth trine between Sedna, Pluto and Jupiter, and also a Lilith/Pluto south node conjunction in Capricorn.
Further more, in 2075, Sedna will be conjunct the north node of the moon in cancer, Neptune will be also in cancer, all at some point conjunct pluto's north node and making a journey to the last sign of Lilith's south nodes. Saturn will be back in 2075 to same conjunction to Sedna's natal pluto in Sagittarius like in 2016. Lilith will travel from Leo to Scorpio that year, ending the year in Scorpio, trine to Senda and the north node.

I won't probably be here to find out what's going to happen, or maybe not in a human body, but would certainly love to! Although it is of concern to me, relative to what humanity is going to do, seeing Pluto, Uranus, Sedna and the moon's nodes will be making a t-square, in aries/capricorn/cancer, with pluto squaring the nodal axis and chiron also in aries making a square to neptune in cancer. Too much futurology maybe... But probably the next 50 years or so will be much significant to how we are bringing Her back, Sedna being symbolic of the unconscious beat for it to be heard, seen and felt, considering women's natural roots and the future of the Soul at the same time, nurtured with the wisdom of the past. We need boats and nets and a lot of fishing but i see mostly we need not to trow her away again back into the ocean like the mythological father, whenever she/it seems scary (Estés brilliantly shares this view point in the tale i previously mentioned).

Also, i like that in the myth her fingers and nails turn into sea mammals, fish, most mentioned are seals and whales, because of the spirit these animals carry in helping/teaching us access the unconscious and inherent creative nature. Seals for instance live mostly in the sea and only come to land to give birth and breed their babies, what a symbol connected to Sedna as a Divine Feminine Goddess! Some in the species also don't have ears, which help them do swim better and, in a more symbolical away, helps stay connected to the inner voice, inner self and creative gifts, away from unnecessary noise. Isn't a possibility that her message, coming closest in some years, that something is in gestation, something new coming to land, and we have the opportunity, now in these years, to chose what that will be, relative to the Sacred Feminine?
Personally i do know the power of the whale in a very strange/funny way... At some point in my life i lived in a place for a short period and decided, when i moved in, to finally hang in my bedroom wall a beautiful illustration of a humpback whale under the moon, that for some reason i had for some time and never look like it belong somewhere else (i even attempted to put it in another place before ending up falling in the floor, so i gave up Cheesy).
That specific time i ended up digging a lot of stuff that was hidden in the depths of my soul for sure, sometimes pretty scary things we avoid seeing or thought we had already dealt with, others accessing a creative magnetic place we all have and from where everything comes, sometimes starting as inspired dreams. And for some reason i can relate part of the enfolding of very significative events to the presence of the whale and her spirit near me, and how that was a symbol of the times i was so strongly living simultaneously, for better or worse. This only to illustrate the significance of these symbols/beings and how they can work in our lives whether we consciously want them to or not. They do.

Again just some thoughts, questions, ideas that can add to this mysterious times God/dess is bringing.

Helena
Rad
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #288 on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:03 AM »

Hi Helena,

"Then, seeing in the beginning of the thread Linda mentions this orbit "coincides with the rise of the patriarchy and the beginning of agriculture" seems to point in that way? Rad would this correlation be correct?"

Yes ........

God Bless, Rad
Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #289 on: Jul 04, 2019, 07:31 AM »

Hi Rad,

Thank you for your clarification, it is intriguing indeed... I have also been searching for more information on Sophia (asteroid 251) and got a bit unclear with information here in additional threads

http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/forum/index.php/topic,472.0.html

http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/forum/index.php/topic,462.0.html

From what i understand, Sophia is Divine Mother/Mother Earth originally linked to Christianity, and from a gnostic perspective Sophia is the "Embodied Wisdom of the Earth".
In the thread it is said that Sophia relates to the original 'sacred prostitution' and that Sophia and Vesta have each their own archetypes but share the aspect of sacred prostitution. Could you share a bit more on the meaning of the archetypes and how they connect?

Intuitively i do find Sophia, Vesta and Magdalene connected in some form of trinity but would like to understand the reason why i tend to feel it is so, but at the same time i do find it hard to understand the 'sacred prostitution' linked with an undistorted view of the archetypes for each. I take that Sophia and Vesta come through Madgalene, in a actual human body... But if that is so are we talking of the de-evolution of the archetypes from the sacred and original to the prostituion aspect, but they do in fact refer to natural women and the symbolism of Vesta?
If we are to refer to this symbols for an original perspective, in the natal chart, do we see them as possible having gone through one or both phases, distorted/undistorted, but most importantly now, do they show where souls, women and men, can find direct connection the wisdom of the earth within their own bodies?

Thank you,
Helena
Nerissa

« Reply #290 on: Jul 04, 2019, 09:31 AM »

Helena,
Thank you for asking these questions. It's funny how synchronistic this message board, EA are....& especially anything regarding the feminine asteroids

Lately I have been thinking of the symbolism of the 'Star' tarot card & how it relates to these divine feminine symbols....the card brings into play the ancient priestess, the cycle of Venus, really all of the deep symbolism of Venus & it seems these other archetypes either are that Venus symbolism or sorta 'satellites' of it.

I am interested in how Magadalene correlates to Sophia, Venus. Like you said seems the 'embodiment' of the archetypes, energy, truth of the divine feminine

All this is so synchronistic for me - the other year first discovered these points in my chart & just recently revisited as I'm thinking of all this & how it relates to the 'Star' card.

Magdalene & Sophia are conjunct my SN Venus
Their NN are conjunct my sun (& not far from venus)

Had forgotten all this until now! Just like when this thread started I was rereading the Lillith book & unbeknowest to me was having my Lillith return!

The topic of asteroids, sacred priestess, divine feminine are some of my favorite threads on the board. I'm looking forward to Rad's insights..

Thanks.....
if this is muddled thinking - sorry: still drinking morning coffee!!

editing to add: yes, I'm thinking of the trinity here as well. 333 is a number I see all the time! Understand it's correlated to Magdalene & that archetype, which makes sense as the trinity seems to be an interface between embodiment & the disembodied....again: need more coffee - best my brain can explain for now Wink

Another edit: interesting their north nodes tend to travel through Virgo mostly (dipping into Leo & Libra too) - I associate the priestess archetype with Virgo, and for that matter Mary Magdalene with Virgo, too & also consider Vesta a co-ruler....just interesting that this archetype is being developed via Magdalene & Sophia
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2019, 03:32 PM by Nerissa » Logged
Rad
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #291 on: Jul 05, 2019, 05:45 AM »

Hi Helena,

"From what i understand, Sophia is Divine Mother/Mother Earth originally linked to Christianity, and from a gnostic perspective Sophia is the "Embodied Wisdom of the Earth". In the thread it is said that Sophia relates to the original 'sacred prostitution' and that Sophia and Vesta have each their own archetypes but share the aspect of sacred prostitution. Could you share a bit more on the meaning of the archetypes and how they connect?"

Christianity had not manifested yet when the idea/belief of the sacred prostitute first manifested. So the idea of Sophia being related to this is beyond me other than a 'projection' by humans that comes from the collective memories of that time into another time. There was no such thing as the sacred prostitute in Judaic times of old. In the original time of this the belief of the sacred prostitute was one wherein a women could absolve the 'sins' of men through sexual intercourse with women who were so designated as a sacred prostitute. This idea/ belief itself is traceable to Vesta in the sense of one of the natural roles of the total archetype of Lilith was one wherein certain women would initiate puberty age boys into sexuality: keepers of the flame. Those women were the archetype of Vesta within the totality of Lilith.

Coming down through time in many different cultures, patriarchal times, it was common for example for the fathers of puberty age boys to have them sexually initiated by prostitutes: "sacred" or not.

"Intuitively i do find Sophia, Vesta and Magdalene connected in some form of trinity but would like to understand the reason why i tend to feel it is so, but at the same time i do find it hard to understand the 'sacred prostitution' linked with an undistorted view of the archetypes for each."

The idea/belief of the 'sacred prostitute' itself is a distortion of natural laws. Remember this idea/belief was created by men, not women.

""I take that Sophia and Vesta come through Madgalene, in a actual human body... But if that is so are we talking of the de-evolution of the archetypes from the sacred and original to the prostituion aspect, but they do in fact refer to natural women and the symbolism of Vesta?"

The totality of the natural women in all of her natural manifestations correlates to Lilith. Remember too that the natural women relative to natural laws in not inherently monogamous. The natural women by choice would have sex with many men. In the end this was for survival of the species because of the need for genetic variation that allowed for a progressive strengthening of the immune system of the human species.

That natural law coming through time, distorted by men, manifested then as 'prostitution' where women were paid by the various men she would have sex with in some way. So from the natural to the distorted.

"If we are to refer to this symbols for an original perspective, in the natal chart, do we see them as possible having gone through one or both phases, distorted/undistorted,"

Yes  .....

but most importantly now, do they show where souls, women and men, can find direct connection the wisdom of the earth within their own bodies?

The wisdom of the Earth, all of it's natural laws, can be aligned with by liberating from all the various 'beliefs' invented by men over great lengths of time and,  in so doing, redefine themselves naturally as natural men and women relative to the natural laws of each.

God Bless, Rad
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2019, 07:38 AM by Rad » Logged
Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #292 on: Jul 05, 2019, 08:01 AM »

Hi Rad and Nerissa,

Rad, i understand all you mention, so maybe my question was confusing in the first place, my apologies for that. Originally my question is related to the other thread here in this points,

"Sorry one more question popped into my head. Do you think the asteroid Sophia relates to the original sacred prostitution?

Yes ..........."

"When I asked about the astrological symbols relating to sacred prostitution i was unclear about the vesta women. Are the Vesta and Sophia asteroids interchangeable with the two or is there another symbol that relates to the vesta women but not to sacred prostitute?

They are not interchangeable. Each has their own total archetypes but do share this aspect of the sacred prostitute. The Vesta archetype of itself does not necessarily mean that the aspect of the sacred prostitute that is contained within it have been lived out in all when considering it in all Souls/ birth charts. It is a possibility but not an absolute."

I see my confusion started with the expression 'original sacred prostituition' related to Sophia, Vesta and natural women, when the expression is in fact already a distortion in itself and i feel the need to in my mind at least differentiate natural vesta women and the invented 'sacred prostitute'. But if you don't mind me ask again, when original sacred prostitution is mentioned above, it means then original vesta women and not the distortion?

So my question is in what way the archetypes come combined and what is specific to each, in a natural expression, as i understand what has happened when the archetype of vesta became distorted but do not follow the connection to Sophia/Vesta in natural times. I take from your answer it simply evolved side by side with vesta and all distortions therein?
Would you agree in interconnectedness of Sophia/Vesta/ Magdalen (Lilith)? Magadlene's presence is certainly a root force and inspiration for all women, specially now with incredible presence and manifestation in collective consciousness (both the distorted and original too), but i still feel like i miss the total link to Sophia.

Nerissa,
also enjoyed so much reading your post! So true.. and well, the synchronicities.., this ' EA house' honours God/Dess for sure, so it seems all people coming to it with a desire to share end up always giving something of value for sure. I also have Madgdalen/Sophia conjunction in my chart and both also conjunct other planets,  nodes and asteroids, including in one side Lilith, the other also sn venus/ sn neptune. And then Sn magdalen conjunct my sun. So i was thinking if that is really a coincidence or something more general and ended up realising, from what i saw (if someone has other information please correct) that Nodes of Magdalen and Sophia, always conjunct. That is something to considerer in the link between the two. For example today,
Magdalene 25 Gem, SN 29 Pis, NN 28 Leo
Sophia 25 Libra, SN 24 Pis, NN 23 Leo

P.S. So nice you bring up the star card of the tarot! I don't know much about tarot but if i had to pick up a card to look at would certainly be the star :-)

All the best,
Helena
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2019, 08:07 AM by Helena » Logged
Nerissa

« Reply #293 on: Jul 05, 2019, 01:11 PM »

Helena,
I'm not surprised at all to see these archetypes so prominent in your chart!

& yes - you're correct: the NNs of Sophia & Magdalene are in cahoots - pretty amazing really Smiley

To me the Star card represents the pre-patriarchal archetype I associate with the divine feminine & the 'priestess' (for lack of a better word)....since this is an astrology board, I won't delve further into the symbolism! But - lots of great articles & really beautiful art work that depicts the card out there

Thank you Rad for your insights & clarifying some of these ideas for me

Rad
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #294 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:57 AM »

I see my confusion started with the expression 'original sacred prostituition' related to Sophia, Vesta and natural women, when the expression is in fact already a distortion in itself and i feel the need to in my mind at least differentiate natural vesta women and the invented 'sacred prostitute'. But if you don't mind me ask again, when original sacred prostitution is mentioned above, it means then original Vesta women and not the distortion?

The original Vesta archetype correlates with the natural Lilith archetype, and expression of it, BEFORE the patriarchal times began. It when the patriarchal times began that things like the 'sacred prostitute' were created by men that reflects the distortions to the natural archetype of not only Vesta, but the whole of the archetype symbolized by Lilith.

"So my question is in what way the archetypes come combined and what is specific to each, in a natural expression, as i understand what has happened when the archetype of Vesta became distorted but do not follow the connection to Sophia/Vesta in natural times. I take from your answer it simply evolved side by side with Vesta and all distortions therein?"

I already tried to answer this Helena by describing what the natural Vesta archetype was in the times before the patriarchy. It is from that natural role in those pre-patriarchal times that became distorted once the patriarchy was set in motion: i.e the 'sacred prostitute'. The archetype of Sophia is not linked with the archetype of Vesta other than being it's own archetype within the totality of the natural women as symbolized by Lilith.

The archetype of Sophia as I understand it is one of a natural teacher, a teacher of natural laws. Thus, the inherent wisdom because of the knowledge of those natural laws. When this becomes distorted it can then manifest on 'beliefs' as defined by various patriarchal religions versus the direct knowledge gained from all the natural laws that DO NOT REQUIRE BELIEFS AT ALL. Relative to the distorted Sophia this then can manifest as trying to convert others to whatever the nature of the beliefs are: the only way stuff.

"Would you agree in interconnectedness of Sophia/Vesta/ Magdalen (Lilith)? Magadlene's presence is certainly a root force and inspiration for all women, specially now with incredible presence and manifestation in collective consciousness (both the distorted and original too), but i still feel like i miss the total link to Sophia."

There is of course a natural connection, inter-related, of these natural archetypes as rooted in the totality of all of those archetypes as symbolized by Lilith. To me Magalene is the archetype that  correlates and teaches about the natural union of the body and the Soul, and how natural sexuality as defined by the natural roles of both women and men is used, can be used, to actualize that natural alignment.

God Bless, Rad
Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #295 on: Jul 14, 2019, 05:17 AM »

Hi Rad,

still find i need to go through all you mention a bit more for my own understanding but really appreciate you answered even though my questions were not that clear.
This you wrote really helps and gives meaning to this questions,

"The archetype of Sophia as I understand it is one of a natural teacher, a teacher of natural laws. Thus, the inherent wisdom because of the knowledge of those natural laws."

"Magdalene is the archetype that  correlates and teaches about the natural union of the body and the Soul, and how natural sexuality as defined by the natural roles of both women and men is used, can be used, to actualize that natural alignment."

Thank you very much,
Helena
Helena
Very Active Member

« Reply #296 on: Jul 22, 2019, 03:52 PM »

Hi All,

Can't resist to share this i remembered today. Around this time last year i saw a documentary about the life story of an incredible woman, flamenco dancer La Chana. I was far from aware at the time i saw it, of the passion we've been devoting to Lilith and Teachings here in the thread and how this all correlated, but something was so strong and primal about this woman i stood the entire film in an almost hypnotic state coming from her presence, her story and her strength. Such an incredible presence of what it is a woman coming from her own root, all others around her stand still in awe and deep respect. That's at least how i felt the entire film.

The story also shows Lilith's forced descent to the underworld, and how the patriarcal model imposed its fear and castration of the natural woman in the shape on a violent jealous husband demanding her retreat from the stage when she was at peak of her career, but also Lilith's rise and how she came back thirty years later, with her root strength intact, even if she had to dance sitting! This for me is one of the most remarkable examples of Lilith and truly a living Goddess.

This soul has natal Lilith at 19 Capricorn, exact to her Pluto Sn. Sn Lilith is exact to moon's NN in gemini and NN Lilith conjuncts ruler of moon's nn, mercury, natal sun and widely conjuncts sn moon in sagittarius.
If capricorn correlates to the beat, drumming, audible marking of time, here is this woman connecting to her root in such direct, physical, natural way.
Her birthdate is December 24, 1946.

I will leave bellow a link to the trailer of the documentary and to film if anyone is interested to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPgocPh3we0

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/lachana

Enjoy,
Helena

Kristin
Very Active Member

« Reply #297 on: Oct 27, 2019, 12:22 PM »

Hi All,

I came across a book review of Janis Joplin which prompts me to add this to our thread on Lilith. She was/ is a perfect example of Lilith manifesting within the 2nd stage Individuated Evolutionary State that begins to emerge into the 3rd Stage Evolutionary State.

I am including a review of the book here so we can all see how her Soul manifested in this way. I am attaching her chart that has her original Lilith in Aquarius conjunct her natal Venus and Lunar S.Node in the 12th. Her N.Node of Lilith is at 26 Sagittarius conjunct her 10th House Mars, and her S.Node of Lilith is at 28 Taurus in her 3rd conjunct Uranus and Saturn in Gemini, and is squaring her Lunar Node, and squaring her natal Lilith and Venus.

So, I thought I would share this in order to learn ever more about Lilith as an archetype. If any of you have your own observation or questions please share.

Namaste,

Kristin

Here is that book review:

A New Biography of Janis Joplin Captures the Pain and Soul of an Adventurous Life

Had she not died at 27 of an accidental heroin overdose, Janis Joplin would be 76 — two years younger than Paul Simon and four years younger than Mavis Staples. Singers with scorched voices sometimes settle more deeply into them. (Have you heard the most recent Marianne Faithfull album?) One wonders at the body of recordings Joplin might have made.
A new biography, “Janis,” by the music writer Holly George-Warren, performs a service by stripping away a lot of the noise around Joplin — cackling and bawdy, she was America’s first female rock star and Haight-Ashbury’s self-destructive pinup girl — and telling her story simply and well, with some of the tone and flavor of a good novel.
This is fundamentally an Eisenhower-era misfit story, and there are a lot of those. But Joplin’s story has a special freight of pain in it. Before it embraced her, Texas turned her into a pariah.
She grew up in Port Arthur, a conservative oil town on the Gulf Coast, where her father worked for Texaco. She was a tomboy who knew early she was different.
There was her complicated sexuality. (She would go on to sleep with both women and men.) There was her instinctive and outspoken liberalism, especially as regards race, which set her sharply apart from her peers.
Then there were her looks, which she despised. “She thought her nose was too big, her mouth was too big,” a friend commented. “She had freckles.” Joplin referred to her own “little pig eyes,” and mourned her unruly hair.
The critic Ellen Willis caught why Joplin’s looks came to matter deeply in the 1960s. Her metamorphosis into a Dionysian goddess meant, among other things, Willis wrote in Rolling Stone in 1976, “that a woman who was not conventionally pretty, who had acne and an intermittent weight problem and hair that stuck out, could not only invent her own beauty (just as she invented her wonderful sleazofreak costumes) out of sheer energy, soul, sweetness, arrogance and a sense of humor, but have that beauty appreciated.”

Back in Texas, however, Joplin’s whole vibe alienated people. She read “On the Road” and started calling herself a beatnik. She was a sloppy dresser. She wasn’t invited to her senior prom. Even friends wrote cruel things in her yearbook.
She made trips with boys across the border into Louisiana to see bands, and got branded a harlot. A football player nicknamed her “Beat Weeds,” a reference to pubic hair. “When Janis walked down the hall,” George-Warren writes, “the jocks threw pennies at her and called her ‘whore’ and ‘slut.’”
Among the jocks at Joplin’s high school was Jimmy Johnson, future coach of the Dallas Cowboys. In 1993, he told Sports Illustrated, “Beat Weeds … never wore any panties.” George-Warren comments: “How Johnson came by this knowledge is unclear.”
While Joplin was at the University of Texas at Austin, which she attended only briefly, a fraternity sponsored an “Ugliest Man on Campus” competition. Someone entered Joplin anonymously and posters of her went up everywhere.
From early on, Joplin escaped into music. She was the kind of fan who, after hearing Elvis Presley sing “Hound Dog” on the radio, sought out the original recording by Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton. (Joplin would later have an early hit with her version of Thornton’s “Ball and Chain.”)
She learned enough about folk and the blues to stand eye-to-eye with (largely male) roots music geeks. She was a big reader, thanks in part to her shyly intellectual father. On tour she’d travel with bags of books. She named a dog Thurber, after James Thurber, the New Yorker humor writer.
Friends knew she had a powerful and unusual sound, just hearing her sing along to the car radio. This was in an era of pretty soprano voices like Joan Baez’s. Joplin was like the girl in the fairy tale who, every time she opens her mouth, out hops a toad.
Joplin made the hairs on the back of people’s necks prickle. She began playing coffee houses and hootenannies in Austin and elsewhere, and floored listeners; she had the force of an opera singer. She did a version of “St. James Infirmary” that unnerved people.

Joplin had an itch for emancipation. She began shuttling between Texas and the West Coast, sometimes hitchhiking. She became a well-known performer at Threadgill’s, the Austin restaurant and music venue, before she moved out to the West Coast for good.
Her big personality had a dark side: depression, anxiety, mood swings. She had a capacity for excess, and a nimbus of exhausted hedonism trailed along with her. She smoked, she drank people under the table and she slowly but enthusiastically turned to drugs. She was a meth addict by the time she was 22. “Hey, man, what is it? I’ll try it,” she said. “How do you do it? Do you suck it? No? Do you swallow it? I’ll swallow it.”
The rest of Joplin’s story is better known. She joined the Bay Area band Big Brother and the Holding Company, and became an international star after the band’s 1967 performance at the Monterey Pop Festival. Some felt that the members of Big Brother weren’t on her level as musicians; she eventually went solo.
George-Warren must have needed a special database to keep up with Joplin’s lovers. “Honey, get it while you can,” she sang. She took her own advice. She was an omnidirectional sexual omnivore.
Joplin took in men and women the way most people take in the morning newspaper. She slept with sailors, musicians, fans and members of the Hells Angels. She turned tricks when stranded and needing money. She joked that one partner “made love in iambic pentameter.” She drove into Mexico for an abortion.
She had relationships with Ron “Pigpen” McKernan of the Grateful Dead and with Country Joe McDonald. Leonard Cohen wrote “Chelsea Hotel No. 2” about her. She had dalliances with Peter Coyote and Kris Kristofferson, whose “Me and Bobby McGee” she covered. She slept with Joe Namath, of all people, and possibly, George-Warren suggests, with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Dick Cavett. One of Bruce Springsteen’s early bands opened for Joplin in New Jersey. “Help, she’s after me!” Springsteen told his guitarist Steven Van Zandt.
Not everyone loved her music. “If I want to hear black singing, then I’ll listen to black singers,” Mick Jagger reportedly said. Joplin’s shows, like her life, were so intense they made people fear for her safety and sanity.
Writing in The New Yorker, Willis described a Joplin show that was “the most exalting, exhausting concert I have ever been privileged to see, hear and feel.” Joplin gave so much that Willis, presciently, became concerned.
“I didn’t know if I wanted the responsibility of taking; I felt a little like a vampire,” she wrote. “From now on, I decided, after two encores I stop clapping.”

Here is a link to a biography of her:

https://www.biography.com/musician/janis-joplin

And

Janis Joplin On Her Own Terms
Her transformation from the ugly duckling of Port Harbor to the peacock of Haight-Ashbury

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/janis-joplin-on-her-own-terms-86303/

* joplin.JPG (85.4 KB, 483x579 - viewed 36 times.)

* janis.JPG (162.77 KB, 1066x1003 - viewed 45 times.)
Rad
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #298 on: Oct 31, 2019, 09:11 AM »

HI All,

Here is another example of a young women who when she was just 15 years old sailed solo around the world: the youngest ever. This is such a wonderful example of Lilath from a natural point of view. Her natal Lilath is at 6 degrees of Taurus conjunct her Lunar South Node at 26 Aries. Her S.Node of Lilath is at 16 Cancer which is ruled by her Leo Moon. Her N.Node of Lilath is at 3 Sagittarius which is conjunct her natal Jupiter, and Pluto at 28 Scorpio.

Here is a short story about her:

Laura Dekker: a heroine for our times

She survived weeks at sea with just a few cockroaches for company – and did her homework too. Emine Saner salutes the teenage sailor

Guardian
1/12/2012

What do you do when you fulfil your life's ambition at the age of 16? Laura Dekker, the youngest sailor to circumnavigate the globe single-handedly, arrived at the Caribbean island of St Maarten on Saturday to a rapturous welcome and a relieved family. While we wait to hear what does next, we celebrate her life so far.

She was born to sail

Her Dutch parents were living on a yacht in a port in New Zealand when Dekker was born and she was six when she first sailed solo. At eight, she decided her dream was to sail around the world, and, aged just 13, Dekker sailed solo from the Netherlands to England and back – a trip her father had hoped would "cure her wanderlust", according to her website. Her mother has said "she sails like a devil", while her grandfather says "she's a stoic. She will keep a cool head in the most extreme of situations."

She is good with cockroaches

She took on six-metre-high waves and extreme weather – on one occasion, heading in to the Cape of Good Hope, her storm jib (a sail used in storms) got jammed and she finally managed to take it down in the early hours of the morning. Another of her sails ripped completely during the voyage. She slept on a damp bed and lived on rice and pasta, with cookies and pancakes as an occasional treat. She dodged near-collisions with cargo ships, and worried about pirates. Not in the least squeamish, she had to rescue live flying fish that had flung themselves into her cabin, and scrub the stinking remains of decomposing squid from the deck. She survived weeks at sea with no company – except for the ants and cockroaches that had stowed away in her cabin. On top of all that, she had to do schoolwork.

She is determined

All of the above was nothing compared to the battle she faced against the Dutch authorities before she set off. Although her parents supported her plans, Dekker was placed under state guardianship by a Dutch court, which stopped her attempt to start her world voyage when she was 14, saying it was unsafe and would damage her development. A few months later, she ran away but was found in St Maarten and escorted back to the Netherlands. In July 2010, a court lifted the state supervision and said the trip could go ahead (in the meantime, Dekker had done training in first aid and sleep management, and was a more experienced solo sailor). "Over a period of 11 months I was constantly afraid that Youth Care would lock me up," she wrote on her blog. "It was all a frightening and traumatic experience. So often these terrible memories come to me. I can't ignore them. Now, after sailing around the world, with difficult port approaches, storms, dangerous reefs, and the full responsibility of keeping myself and her boat Guppy safe, I feel that the nightmares the Dutch government organisations put me through, were totally unfair." In their defence, Joost Lanshage from the Netherlands Bureau of Youth Care said: "If Laura had drowned we would be accused of not doing enough to protect her. Thank God she's OK and I think that's partly due to the safety measures we enforced as part of the condition for allowing her to go."

She becomes the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe

Dekker has just pipped the previous youngest, Jessica Watson, an Australian who sailed around the world, arriving in Sydney In May 2010, three days before her 17th birthday. In June 2010, Abby Sunderland, a 16-year-old sailor from the US, was rescued in the Indian Ocean after breaking her mast in an attempt to do the same. It was back in 2009 that a boy – 17-year-old Michael Perham, from England – held the record. However, Guinness World Records will not verify any of these claims, saying they do not want to encourage minors to take on dangerous challenges.

She is a reluctant superstar

Reading the blog Dekker kept during her voyage, it is clear that she values solitude and a proximity to nature. She writes about meeting penguins, seals, birds, whales and dolphins and has a deep appreciation of the beauty the world has to offer. "Yesterday the clouds gathered in an arch that reached down to the sea far on the horizon, and when the sun came down floating in the water it turned the arch into a barrel vault of lights," she wrote on Christmas Eve. "Sometimes I try [to] adjust the sails to make us go faster, but mostly I simply enjoy the endless silky blue ocean and the quiet peace that it brings," she wrote earlier in December. You can feel the apprehension of the media attention she knew she would eventually attract. "At sea, I feel comfortable and I come to rest."

Attached is her chart (no birth time), and a jpg of her.

Here is a link to YouTube about her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA60BScgmzw

Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

* laura.JPG (37.28 KB, 351x372 - viewed 31 times.)

* laura dekker.JPG (158.28 KB, 1150x1004 - viewed 50 times.)
Sunya

« Reply #299 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:26 AM »

Thanks for this examples.

Is the travel around the seas, the way Dekker has recover her skipped step, neptune jupiter on the second. Proving her self she can survive and going beyond her limitations?

It's so beautiful this neptune jupiter, ideal travel around the natural oceans.

There is one thing that I don't understand, how she activated her ppp in the 7???

It seems all this journey quite individual in an aries way, it's true also that her skip step in second house is quite individual also, but I can not find the activation of the 7th house.

In regard to lilith the taurus side could be all the survival thing, and the sixth house... Al the techniques and learnings about how she make her own boat, trainings and the detail of making homework in the middle of the ocean, it's right?

Some more consideration to Chek if are riggt

The creation of his own boat could not be the first time, South node in the 5th, ruled by Mars in the oceanic 12th house, this Mars could also mean the captive experience by tee Dutch authorities and the fear of being captured again.

In regard to the north node, she definitely find a new innovative way, and she seems quite detach from relationships.

But I insist... I can't find how her ppp is working. Could be activated with the relationship with her father??? She learn all the navigate and boat construction from him.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2019, 08:10 AM by Sunya » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: