School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Phases & aspects [began as Sesquiquadrate 135 Degree]

Started by Dhyana, Nov 28, 2010, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhyana

Hi again Stacie,

I went back and re read what you wrote again --s-l-o-w-l-y...

...SO wait --hmmm?  -i WASNT supposed to use 360 at all with that Jupiter/Moon example?

I was just to subtract 2, and that's it?

I hear you and I know you must be right, but it's still not clicking WHY?

if i went clock wise THEN i could see the two degrees, but not counter clockwise bc jupiter on the wheel is sitting below the moon???  :P

Stacie

my god woman what do you have there, mercury in aries?? ;)  i'm typing a response as we speak..and i'm not a little lightning rod like you seem to be, so gimme a few minutes to find my words.  and i adore your enthusiasm.

Dhyana

you made me laugh right out loud!!!

no, i have mercury in SCORPIO (but it's conjunct NEPTUNE) in H9

lol

Upasika

Hi Dhyana & Stacie,

I was just typing up the Jupiter/Saturn one Stacie, but maybe you're already covering that ...?
No point us both posting on it, that might just be more confusing ...?

Upasika

Stacie

ok..first, i don't figure degrees of separation thru a formal mathematical technique, i.e. subtracting whatever from 360.  i approach it visually.  starting at your slowest moving planet, you go in the opposite direction of the clock, counting the degrees along the way.  now i'm not suggesting you should manually count every single degree.  there are tricks.  for example, if saturn is at 22 pisces, we know that 22 virgo (virgo being the polarity point to pisces) will be 180 degrees.  using your jupiter as the other part to this example, we see that jupiter is not quite at 180 degrees, so at least you see right off that its going to be a figure less than 180.  to get to the precise number, you could start at 22 pisces, then count the number of signs, knowing that each sign contains 30 degrees.  so aries, tau, gem, cancer = 4 signs..multiply by 30 and you have 120 degrees.  then just add the degrees left from 22 cancer til you're at 4 leo..12 degrees, equalling a grand total of 132 degrees.  it will become more automatic the more regularly you practice..  

upasika, just saw your post...by ALL MEANS gifted one of the left-brains, if you have a more concise answer, please contribute.

so dhyana..does this make sense so far?..  

Dhyana

Yea, it makes sense so far.

Especially the example you gave of 180 degrees from one sign to its opposite sign is VERY useful !!(because those little tic marks are tiny, and i need my magnifier glasses  8) -LOL)

I have to play with it though.

As an aside--When my husband gives me directions somewhere and he draws a map-- I absolutely cannot read it. BUT when he writes it in full sentences, with word like "right" "left", (but def NOT  the words North, SOuth, East or West) --then I dont get lost.  Otherwise, I do. ;)

Thanks very very much Stacie. And I did have a very late cup of coffee.

Upasika

Hi Dhyana & Stacie,

OK I'll post what I had written up. Its based on a visual just like your approach Stacie, and actually yours is pretty nifty and simple, and if Dhyana you get that, then I'd say you'll be well on the way so don't labor too much with what I've written. But in case it adds anything it's below ...

Jupiter Rx at 4 16 in Leo H6, in relationship to Saturn 22 57 in Pisces in H1.

1. Forget about the houses and Rx, they aren't needed.
2. Determine which planet is slowest ...

... here's that lists again

Relative speeds of the planets/points...
ASCENDANT, MIDHEAVEN
Moon
Mercury
Venus
Mars
Vesta
Juno
Ceres
Pallas
Lucifer
Jupiter
Saturn
Chiron
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto
Sun

.. you can see Saturn is slower (further down the list) than Jupiter so Saturn is the slowest.

3. Start at Saturn and move ANTI clockwise around the chart till you come to Jupiter.

Saturn 22 57 Pisces
This is almost 23 degees so lets call it that for now ie. Beginning of the 23 deg mark in Pisces

Beg 23 Pisces to beg 23 Aries = 30 degrees
23 Aries to 23 Taurus = 30 degrees
23 Taurus to 23 Gemini = 30 degrees
23 Gemini to 23 Cancer = 30 degrees
=> Thats 30 deg x 4 lots of them = 120 deg we've counted so far  -   and we've got to the beg of 23 Cancer .

Add 7 degrees takes us to beginning of 30 Cancer, then add 1 more for that last deg to take us to the cusp of Cancer & Leo (or 0 Leo)
=> takes our tally up to: 120 + 7 + 1 = 128 deg

Now Jupiter is at 4 16 Leo so add approx 4 1/4 degrees
=> 128 + 4.25 = 132.25 degrees

and look in the list below ....

You'll see that 132.25 is in between First Quarter Trine and First Quarter Sesquiquadrate so its in the First Quarter for sure

Also because it's only 2 3/4 degrees away from 134.99 (which basically is 135 deg), its in orb of a Sesquiquadrate so its actually a First Quarter Sesquiquadrate

Degree   Phase Aspect
0           New Conjunction
30         New SemiSextile
36         New Decile
40         New Novile
44.99     New SemiSquare
45         Crescent SemiSquare
51.43     Crescent Septile
60         Crescent Sextile
72         Crescent Quintile
80         Crescent BiNovile
89.99     Crescent Square
90          First Quarter Square
102.86     First Quarter BiSeptile
108         First Quarter SesquiQuintile
120         First Quarter Trine
134.99     First Quarter Sesquiquadrate
135         Gibbous Sesquiquadrate
144         Gibbous BiQuintile
150         Gibbous Quincunx
154.29     Gibbous TriSeptile
179.99     Gibbous Opposition
180         Full Opposition
205.71     Full TriSeptile
210         Full Qunincunx
216         Full BiQuintile
224.99     Full SesquiQuadrate
225         Disseminating Sesquiquadrate
240         Disseminating Trine
252         Disseminating SesquiQuintile
257.14     Disseminating BiSeptile
269.99     Disseminating Square
270         Third Quarter Square
280         Third Quarter BiNovile
288         Third Quarter Quintile
300         Third Quarter Sextile
308.57     Third Quarter Septile
314.99     Third Quarter SemiSquare
315         Balsamic SemiSquare
320         Balsamic Novile
324         Balsamic Decile
330         Balsamic SemiSextile
359.99     Balsamic Conjunction

Stacie

nifty..i rather like that word  :)   thanks very much Upasika for supplying that info!..that is great...it is nifty.

so Dhyana, i think i see where the main mix up was when we first started the conversation..perhaps you're confusing the direction of clock-wise with counter-clockwise...that's what i'm hearing from what you posted earlier. that may be clear by now, but in case its not, let's clarify: so if jupiter is at 4 leo and moon is at 6 leo, and we're counting in the counter-clockwise direction, then we go 4 leo..5 leo..to 6 leo. this is counter-clockwise.

and it's not the coffee, it's that *desire* factor!  believe me, i'm in the same boat when it comes to numbers, measurements, and pretty much EVERYTHING linear.  The goof-ups i make are sometimes a magical wonder to behold.

Dhyana

Quote from: Stacie on Dec 03, 2010, 04:42 AM

and it's not the coffee, it's that *desire* factor!  believe me, i'm in the same boat when it comes to numbers, measurements, and pretty much EVERYTHING linear.  The goof-ups i make are sometimes a magical wonder to behold.

Stacie, i think you might be right about that! ;)

Yea, the clockwise/counterclockwise was a factor as well.

Stacie and Upasika,

I think I follow better now --

I will practice this again tomorrow and post what I came up with.

I feel a lot of gratitude that people all across the globe come together, without ever meeting each other in person, to help each other.

I really truly thank you both for being patient with me.

Upasika, I had already printed the material you posted a couple days ago. And it was those lists that I used to do the little I just tried. Thanks --You have always been so wonderful to me on here.

Love to you both,
Dhyana

Dhyana

And Stacie,

Thanks for the laugh you gave me here, on top of everything else

D

Stacie

most welcome!!...and i know that merc in scorp stuff since i have it there too.

all your points of gratitute are shared.  

glad you're asking the questions..good work..

Wendy

Quote from: Dhyana on Dec 03, 2010, 03:40 AM
Somehow it's not clicking in my brain yet

But I am hopeful it will! Keep giving me feedback.

By any chance, do you know which I was supposed to subtract fro 360?  --the 6  58, or the 4  16  ?? 

I thought I'm supposed to start with 360?

This is why I am posting my process here-- so I can get feedback and corrections.

Thanks again for the speedy response Stacie!  :D

Hi Dyhana,

I wrote out all my aspects from the bottom graph which comes with the chart from astro.com.  The list is quite long.  The process of writing out anything I am studying always helps me integrate it internally.

Here's a bit of what my list looks like:

Sun 17 Mercury 27 - conjunction
Moon 24 Venus 18 - trine
Sun 17 Venus 18 - semi-sextile
Moon 24 Mercury 27 - inconjunct/quincunx

I actually used the symbols for the aspects when I manually wrote them out to help me learn more about the ones I am especially unfamiliar with, like the semi-sextile and inconjunct.  I have always confused the two.  Okay, so then I figured out which was the slower moving planet.

Sun is slower than Mercury.  So from left to right-easy 10 degrees.  The conjunction is a New Phase which I looked up on Steve's phase chart which I believe he posted earlier. 

Let's do a harder one.  Jupiter 24 Gemini - Neptune 17 Scorpio

Which is the slower moving planet, Neptune of course.  My Jupiter is in the 12th house and Neptune in the 5th.  I start with 17 Scorpio and count to the right.  I go 30 by 30, 180 if the aspect is more than an opposition.  Meaning I go to the opposite sign, Taurus, which is 180 and add from there.  Then its only one more house of adding to get to Gemini 24.  So 17 degrees Scorpio to 17 Taurus = 180 + another 30 = 210 (17 Gemini) + 7 = 217 (24 Gemini).  217 is a Full Phase Bi-quintile.

Let me know if this helps.

Wendy

Lucius

I was wondering about the 165 degree aspect.  If there is an EA perspective of it and/or anyone here uses this - I've investigated only briefly & it seems to have meaning in context of charts.  I recall Noel Tyl felt that it related to 'obsession' - I was thinking along the lines of a feeling of 'fated - ness' or destiny.However I could see that quality tying into obsession.  I do believe that this aspect is part of the 'series' of aspects that includes the 135, right?  I assume it's fine to post here versus a new thread?  Thanks.

Dhyana

Yea! Wendy--

that helps because  it's  in basic WORDS and you used math.  It keeps me more organized when I just stick with simple instructions --otherwise I think what I do is over-complicate, over analyse, over theorize/conceptualize, if I dont get simple basic worded instructions.

How you explained that worked for me. Thank you.

I am going to do some of these tonight after I put my son to bed, and post.

Thanks alot for the specific example.
Dhyana

ari moshe

Hi All,
I'm actually noticing 3 threads taking place in this one.

I sense it would be a good idea to divide it. I think your question Lucius is good for a new thread, why not?

A few days ago I posted a thread providing guidance for determining the phasal relationship between planets- not sure if its a helpful description, but that may be a place to move this discussion...
https://forum.schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/index.php/topic,361.msg5814.html#msg5814

An idea came to me which is to start discussing the aspects in depth. To start a thread for each aspect, in the way that we are doing with the signs. In the same way that we started with Virgo, it makes sense to start with the gibbous phase sesquiquadrate (associated with Virgo).

Steve or another moderator, what do you say about tri-secting this thread and continuing to explore the sesquisquare?
Ari Moshe