Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phases and their polarities  (Read 1189 times)
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:24 AM »

Hello,
Jeff Green spoke about the temptation for a soul to try to operate in one phase via the opposite phase. For example a soul has planets in a balsamic phase, yet as a way to avoid the evolutionary requirements of that phase, the temptation is to to try to be like the opposite phase, the gibbous phase. I want to check my understanding here.

My sense is this is because aspects innately imply a process. Thus for each aspect it is necessary to fulfill the particular phase one is in in order to continue on the journey, proceed through the cycle in the right way. For any phase, this implies that the soul must be willing to adopt/cooperate the the nature of that particular phase. Based on that, I can understand the temptation to want to be in the opposite phase as the opposite phase literally contains the opposite psychology and thus "a way out" of the work necessary for the phase one is in.

For example planets operating in the balsamic phase require introspection and surrender to the flow. The very temptation in this case would be to WANT MORE CONTROL over things. Thus the possibility of trying to create a gibbous type of situation (Gibbous=control).

I also observe that this is very different than signs- it seems quite the opposite in fact. The key with phases is to actually stick to the phase one is in. Whereas with signs, embracing inner polarity is necessary. Is that an accurate comparison? Thank you,
Ari Moshe
Rad
Most Active Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:28 PM »

Hi Ari,

No, it's not. The phases, like the signs, do have their natural polarity as you know. The phases also internalize the polarity points just as the signs do. In your example, for example, the balsamic phase and it's polarity, the gibbous phase. All to often the balsamic phase creates an inner sense of emptiness, of diffuseness, of not being able to connect to anything, or make sense of anything. The gibbous phase, internalized, would then manifest as the person keeping itself busy all the time, the famous lists of things to do, of never doing the core of what needs to be done, all this in order to escape from the balsamic phase itself. Just one example.

God Bless, Rad
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:16 PM »

Hi Rad,

The gibbous phase, internalized, would then manifest as the person keeping itself busy all the time, the famous lists of things to do, of never doing the core of what needs to be done, all this in order to escape from the balsamic phase itself. Just one example.

I see- so this in fact IS comparable to the same tendency that would be found in the sign of Pisces itself.

Thank you again for your attention to these questions.
God bless,
Ari Moshe
Dhyana
Very Active Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 01:34 AM »

This was a very good read. Thank You Ari and Rad.

Dhyana
serban_p

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:59 AM »

Hi Rad, Ari,

I’ve been going over what you wrote and would like to ask the following question: are you saying that all phases inherently have the opposite phase as an integral part thereof (i.e. they internalize their polarity) and that it is a natural process for the Soul to experience that polarity as part of going through the actual phase the respective planets are in (i.e. as part of doing what is required), yet the tendency is to try to escape altogether to that polarity phase, i.e. to try to act as if the planets were in that polarity phase, in order to escape from the pressure of going through the actual phase that they are in?

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the same reasoning applies to individual aspects within phases as well, i.e. each aspect implies that the Soul would naturally experience the aspect which is 180 degrees apart (which would be a natural thing) and would also be tempted to totally escape to that aspect (which would be something that needs to be avoided).

To illustrate what I mean by this, if we take the crescent square, the pressure associated with this aspect, as a transition gate between the crescent phase and the first quarter phase, derives from the fact that the Soul is required to leave behind a yin phase of internalization and consolidation (crescent phase) and move into a yang phase where it is required to give concrete form to what has been consolidated so far (first quarter phase).

The polarity of that crescent square is the disseminating square. Since that polarity is internalized in the crescent square this would imply that the person with the crescent square would experience a feeling of alienation, which is a hallmark of the disseminating square. However, this feeling, which is associated with the disseminating square, would be a natural part of the crescent square experience because detachment from the environment is inherent to establishing something which is uniquely specific to that individual (i.e. something which is the result of the feedback gathered in the new phase pursuant to the initiation of a variety of experiences and the consolidation that has occurred in the crescent phase). In other words the Soul would necessarily require this sort of detachment (alienation) from its environment in order to be able to bring something utterly new into that environment, without borrowing the status quo opinions and beliefs, i.e. detachment is necessary in order to be out of the reach of the consensus opinions.

The temptation however would be for the Soul to attempt to totally escape to that polarity, i.e. to take refuge in that feeling of alienation. As such, there would also exist a temptation to avoid acting on account of not knowing what to believe in, which is to say that the Soul would be tempted to rely on the inherent alienation corresponding to the disseminating square so as to escape from the pressure of acting. Thus, the Soul would attempt to justify a failure to act and a resistance to the pressure of acting (crisis in action) on account of not being able to believe in what it is supposed to do (crisis in belief), not being able to relate, to find a meaningful purpose in doing what the crescent square requires the Soul to do (i.e. get out in the environment and establish what has been developed so far). In other words, the Soul would justify its refusal to advance along the evolutionary path as something like “I can’t be required to act (crisis action) in a world which means nothing to me (crisis in belief).”

The individual would also experience in the crescent square an inherent rebellion against the status quo which is naturally associated with the disseminating square. Much like the feeling of alienation referred to above, this inherent rebellion would be naturally experienced in the crescent square in order to enable the Soul to actualize, to take action. However the individual would be tempted to rely on that rebellion so as to reject any external attempts by the environment to get the Soul to actualize what has been developed in the crescent phase (i.e. the Soul would rebel against the need to take action).

All the best,

Serban
Steve
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:40 PM »

Hi Serban
I am posting a section from Jeffrey Wolf Green's workshop on Aspects, Phases, and Key Planetary Pairs. I think you will find it relevant to what you wrote even though it does not directly address a number of the specific things you wrote about.  I find the principles conveyed here quite relevant to questions about polarities of all signs and phases.
take care
Steve

NEW PHASE

We will always talk about polarities, yin/yang, light/dark, male/female, because to understand any one phase, you have to understand its opposite - its natural polarity. For example, to truly understand Virgo, you have to understand Pisces; to truly understand Capricorn, you have to understand Cancer, etc.

For example, most people think of Capricorn as crystallized in space, i.e. somehow without emotion relative to how Capricorn naturally projects itself. But, of course, underneath that Capricorn and the very basis of how it projects itself is Cancer. The essence of vulnerability. Why do you think Virgo needs crisis? Look at the polarity of Pisces. Virgo is going for a kind of reality that is not possible on earth - thus, crisis. In most cases, astrology is not taught this way, but it is very basic.

So, in order to understand new phase, we have to understand full phase. The new phase is, of itself, just that - new. The key word is instinctual. Instinct is without forethought, a feeling or inclination (it is not intuition, however), automatic reaction. Instinct is simply action without thought. So the instinct, in the new phase, correlates to the instinct to become. Is not life itself a continuous state of becoming? Becoming what? That which it is not. The instinct to become that which one is not equals action without forethought - the simple, instinctual urge to initiate action relative to one's need to become that which you individually are. Thus, the simple instinctual need to initiate action and through the inevitable reaction to the action, one develops knowledge. Does the baby know that the stove is hot before it touches it? It must create action in order to experience reaction, then it knows. Thus the knowledge that is gained in the new phase is determined through reaction to the action.

If we understand the nature of the circle from an evolutionary point of view because the phenomena of life and time and space evolves, it is not static, thank God, the new phase then means that any two planets in a new phase are embarking upon a new cycle of evolutionary development, that which has not come before. This implies that prior to this life a cycle has just ended that has been in place for beaucoup lifetimes. It is a brand new phenomena. There is not any conceptual superstructure to explain the reasons or whys behind the instinct to become. It does not have the conceptual equipment to explain why it wants to do what it wants to do. Thus, it needs independence and freedom to simply initiate whatever experiences are deemed necessary in order to discover the ongoing process of becoming through the reactions to the initiated experiences.

However when we understand the full phase, its natural polarity, the key word for the full phase is completion. What is completed in the full phase is the evolutionary journey from the new phase through the crescent phase through the first quarter phase through the gibbous phase. Any two planets you find in a full phase relationship, evolutionary speaking, prior to this life, have already come through these phases. Thus as the new phase planets and the individual who has these planets in this state interacts with life itself, it is instinctually and inherently going to be aware of other individuals, full phase, who have more of a conceptual ability to explain who and what they are and why they are there, why they are going to do what they are going to do, or what they have done. Through the natural temptation of this polarity to compare (the new phase is without conceptual ability to do so), there is going to be some degree of instinctual temptation to adopt the beliefs and/or value systems which are the basis of explanations in all people, in order to explain its own actions and thus be out of harmony with that inherent and emerging individuality implied in this new phase.

What commonly happens in this new phase/full phase phenomena is that the person fluctuates in extreme behavioral patterns - from one extreme of wanting to be absolutely alone and free to the cyclic need to be overly engaged or involved in a relationship with people who seem to reflect what the individual is trying to become. This creates two very deep alternating behavioral patterns which seem apparently inconsistent.

What this really touches upon is the nature of creation, the projection through time/ space - the need to become what? If the creator was perfect in the beginning why create anything? The implication is that the creator was, in the beginning, imperfect. The instinctual energy is related to that separating desire and the need to go back to God. If we agree that creation and its distinct forms did not create itself, then what created it? And if that which is called the creation point, the source, the uncreated created in Buddhist terms, and we observe things like imperfection - wherein lies the origin of imperfection? The inherent truth is in every part of creation, every molecule, every cell, every substance, every particle - so the instinct to become ultimately correlates to the creation projected, projection being an inherently masculine principle and contraction or reception being an inherent feminine principle.

So, in these two distinct phases, a mirror of this basic truth: On the one hand needing to act and in the process of acting in an environmental sense instinctually comparing, relative to full phase, other individuals to itself, creating retreat.

GIBBOUS
The polarity phase here is balsamic. The gibbous phase is now promoting the awareness of the nitty gritty details of one's mundane daily life on a moment to moment basis. I am sensing the balsamic polarity and I want to escape. I am tired of these routines. I am bored. The balsamic is the vision of the absolute, the timeless, divinity, the ultimate, the ideal. So now that I am living my life in this very mundane way, submitting myself to this sociological context, this polarity point progressively tempts me to escape, to compare my reality with an ideal reality that I cannot find, but only can sense. What if I have Mars/Venus in a gibbous phase? Are not my relationships going to seem less than adequate? As measured against the undefined ideal. I will get bored with the normal tedious work I have to do in relationships to sustain it. This could make me irritable and critical and help me to take all the stupid little details and irritants and cause me blow them all out of proportion.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 07:36 AM by Steve » Logged

ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:06 AM »

Thank you Steve, that was helpful to read.

Serban, I also want to offer a fun suggestion - if you are familiar with progressions, take a look at your own progressed lunar cycle. This is the phase created by the progressed Sun and Moon. They are in a certain phase right now, and every 3 something years they enter a new phase. Reflecting on the inner nature of your life during these past cycles will reveal a lot to you in terms of how you naturally related to the natural phases. I've been doing with quite a few charts and that's been very revealing for me.

For example my secondray progressed lunar phase just recently entered the balsamic phase. I feel like I am in a void, with absolutely no sense of direction or clarity in my life. While I'm very busy and it feels like my life is just getting started (Saturn is transiting through my 1st house now), this inner experience of emptiness, pointlessness is very strong. Often times, every day in fact I find myself keeping very very busy to the point of mental exhaustion. It's a very personal and complex experience, if I understood it better I'd probably be able to move through it more gracefully! The point is, the requirements at this time is to turn within. The resistance I am noticing is by way of me running to the gibbous phase- trying to fill the void with some sort of meaning, something to occupy myself.

Meanwhile, many other spiritual elements are coming together for me right now. I don't understand it at all, though I'm trusting God. In the balsamic phase, God has a plan, turn within and allow. That's the essence of it.
Love, am
serban_p

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2011, 10:21 AM »

Hi Steve, Ari,

Steve--thank you for posting the excerpt from JWG's workshop. However, I had already read that material several times (along with the entire transcript relating to Aspects, Phases and Key Planetary Pairs) before posting my question. So what I posted was my understanding of these issues, which I wanted to check / develop. In this light, please know that any sort of feedback regarding what I wrote will be highly appreciated as I am sensing the fact that grasping the issues related to phases and aspects is key to a solid understanding of EA (exactly as you previously said to me and I am very grateful for that. So I took your advice, studied the workshop transcripts and gave it a first attempt at the crescent square).

Ari--thank you for your advice. Although I am not that familiar with progressions, it sounds like a powerful tool which I will definitely try to develop so as to deepen my understanding. My progressed lunar cycle seems to indicate (assuming I got it right) that the progressed Moon is in full phase opposition to the progressed Sun (9-degree orb). However, my natal Moon is also in full phase opposition to my natal Pluto (7-degree orb) so this is a sort of an old pattern for me Smiley. I will definitely however use your advice to look at different periods in my life in this light.

All the best,

Serban
serban_p

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:38 AM »

Hi everybody,

Apologies for bringing this up again, but I was wondering whether anybody might have any specific feedback in connection with what I wrote about the crescent square. The only reason I'm bringing this up again is that I feel the importance of grasping these principles correctly and I would like to have a solid base for my future study of phases and aspects within them.

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Serban
Rad
Most Active Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:48 AM »

Hi Serban,

What you wrote is certainly within the realm of possibilities for the Crescent Phase square and it's polarity through the Disseminating Phase square. You put it together very well.

God Bless, Rad
serban_p

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:58 AM »

Hi Rad,

Thank you so much for taking the time for this!

All the best,

Serban
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Video