School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Mercury Rx and Mercury Rx transit

Started by Rick, May 02, 2011, 03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Hi all,
I have been talking with someone who has Mercury retrograde in her natal chart.  During this past retrograde cycle most of last month, I found it intriguing to hear that much of what she did during this cycle was almost the opposite of the rest of us.  She make quick decisions, where she is normally very indecisive.  She did a ton of work on a brand new website, made a major purchase etc.  All of these things that we are warned about or struggle with during Mercury retrograde. 

My question is, is all of this because she has it natally, so most of her everyday life feels like we do during the Rx, or does it have to do with all of the other aspects within the chart.  Meaning, is this a somewhat generic phenomenon or is it specific to individuals based on the rest of the chart and placement of the Rx etc

Thx
Rick

Steve

Hi Rick

Any planet retrograde inverts its normal function from outward to inward.  The eyes turn inward.  That is the intention.  Natal Mercury retro (I am one myself) is, lifelong, purging the buildup within the Soul of excessive information that is holding back the Soul's progress going forward.  Jeffrey described it as they are only interested in that which has relevance to their intended life path.  Thus they can have difficulty in school where rote memorization of unnecessary information is required.

In terms of what you asked about, we can't generalize.  You said she felt normal during this recent Mercury retro.  We don't know from that if this is generally her experience or it was a more unusual experience.  I had somewhat a hard time myself, as did many other people with this most recent one, as did many others from what I was hearing from people.

What would be true is natal Mercury Retro people are more at home with the archetypes of Mercury retro, since much of it is what their inner experience is like most of the time.  A difference is when Mercury is direct they are somewhat alone in their orientation as it is a minority of people.  When its retro everyone is feeling it.  Many not-rx people have not learned to traverse that rx terrain and may be having a difficult experience during that period.  Its not so much the natal RX person has an easy time of it as they have more practice working with it.

You also have to take into account everything in someone's chart.  Some people's natal charts will show harmonious resonance with that natal Merc rx while others will be in varying states of rebellion or disharmony.  Also have to take into account aspects the transiting Merc rx makes to the natal chart.  If its trining a lot of planets, for example, it could make for a smoother passage.  That wouldn't be so with every Mercury retro.

Rick

Awesome,
Thx for the insights Steve.
Much appreciated.

Wendy

Quote from: Steve on May 02, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Rick

Any planet retrograde inverts its normal function from outward to inward.  The eyes turn inward.  That is the intention.  Natal Mercury retro (I am one myself) is, lifelong, purging the buildup within the Soul of excessive information that is holding back the Soul's progress going forward.  Jeffrey described it as they are only interested in that which has relevance to their intended life path.  Thus they can have difficulty in school where rote memorization of unnecessary information is required.

Gosh, this is so true for me too.  Natal Mercury retro--I don't store the information I learned in school or elsewhere unless it correlates to my life path.  My mind finds most information irrelevant and therefore extraneous, and I just don't plain recall it.  And I have felt awkward socially at times, because of this, so it's nice to hear a description of the retro function.

Blessed be...
Wendy

Oliver Fred

Hi All,

I wanted to ask, in this thread, if Mercury retrograde (or any other planet) aspecting another planet makes the planet its contacting act as if its retrograde. I think I recall (ha!) something about that being called a "de facto" retrograde. If so, should those planets be seen as retrograde all the time? I personally have only Chiron retrograde, aspecting seven planets, itself squaring my nodes. Should I view just CHiron as retrograde or all those it touches? Thanks for any help with this. (I'm trying to get my astro juices back up for the Conference!)

-Oliver

Rad

Hi Oliver,

JWG taught the a retrograde planet aspecting a non-retrograde planet correlates to an 'oblique' retrograde. So it's not like the non-retrograde planet is actually, directly, retrograde. It's an 'indirect' retrograde in that the retrograde planet itself that is impacting on the non-retrograde planet in this way causes that non-retrograde planet to obliquely act retrograde but only with respect to actual planet that is retrograde and aspecting that non-retrograde planet.

God Bless, Rad