Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: re: aspects - just want to see if I'm on the right track  (Read 827 times)
Elen
Most Active Member

« on: May 20, 2011, 12:34 PM »

Hi All,

I don’t know if this has been gone over here but I was just thinking about aspects from the perspective of the lunation cycle and it just really hit me (finally getting this!... always seems to take a subjective brainstorm…) how the 8 phases of the Moon follow a yang-yin pattern and wanted to see if how I'm thinking of this right:

New – yang
Crescent – yin
First Quarter – yang
Gibbous – yin
Full – yang
Disseminating – yin
Last Quarter – yang
Balsamic – yin

The aspects at the cusps of these phases would be moving from yin to yang or yang to yin:

Semisquare (45deg) – beginning as yang, progressing to yin
Square (90 deg) – beginning as yin, progressing to yang
Sesquiquadrate (135deg) – beginning as yang, progressing to yin
Opposition (180deg) – beginning as yin, progressing to yang
Sesquiquadrate (waning, 225deg) – beginning as yang, progressing to yin
Square (waning, 270deg) – beginning as yin, progressing to yang
Semisquare (waning, 315deg) – beginning as yang, progressing to yin
Conjunction (0deg) – beginning as yin, progressing to yang

There seems to me to be the idea of (progressive) surrender (progressive being, maybe?) for the aspects that are moving from yang to yin:

Semisquare (waxing & waning)
Sesquiquadrate (waxing & waning)

And for those moving from yin to yang, perhaps progressive actualization (or becoming)?

Square (waxing & waning)
Opposition
Conjunction

What stimulated my thinking on this was the sesquiquad in my own chart between my Sun & Moon.  (My Sun is at 4+ deg Cap, 4th house.  My Moon is at 19+ deg Taurus, 8th house.)  The idea of the sesquiquad is one of frustration.  On the one hand, there is an understanding and I suppose an anticipation of the need to integrate fully into the social realm (anticipating – or preferring.. - the move from yin to yang at the end of the Gibbous phase); I think if the early (yang-influenced side of the) sesquiquad could have its way, it would skip right over the Gibbous phase entirely and on into the Full phase - because it relates to the yang energy of that phase.  Yet, if one has not succeeded in the inward focus of the Gibbous (yin) phase, there will be a lack of understanding of how one actually fits and/or how one actually goes about integrating who one is into the larger social realm.  It struck me that the sesquiquad becomes, progressively as it moves from the yang to yin side of itself, a chance to withdraw and reflect and I think also a chance to revisit and/or recover parts of oneself that perhaps were not fully developed before the 1st quarter kicked in.  In other words, the requirements of the 1st quarter perhaps necessitated a kind of sacrifice of certain developmental needs.  And now, at the sesquiquad, there is the chance to recover these, with the awareness that the goal, ie, the reason for recovering these aspects is so that integration can occur more completely at the opposition.  But one has to overcome initial resistance to get to this place.  I found this to be an extremely helpful way to look at this aspect.  If one considers that the Full Moon (yang), like the 1st Quarter (yang), will happen of its own (whether one is ready or not), then it makes sense, and perhaps is an inbuilt wisdom, that there would be a time to regroup, revisit, recover, before the next burst of energy/activity.  Thinking about it in this way is giving me a great deal of understanding into my own situation.  And, contrary to what one might think, it feels that it is opening up the possibility of actually acting in the world as I now understand and accept that my efforts to do just this (ie, go deeply within to recover lost and undeveloped parts of myself) has not been in vain or wrong or misguided or selfish or irresponsible, etc (my judgements, really, not anyone else’s).  Rather, it’s been a necessary step (a necessary learning for the sesquiquad?).  In other words, thinking about it like this has helped me to stop resisting and second guessing the process that is naturally occurring (and has been for many years, but in the face of strong inner and outer resistance and misunderstanding), and to instead allow it, finally, to happen.

I don’t know if this way of looking at these aspects (particularly the waxing sesquiquadrate) is EA proper and I would appreciate feedback on that.  But, as I said, it has given me insight into my own experience, and it feels to me that looking at the rest of the aspects using this cipher could be fruitful (I’m sure others have already done so – I know that Ari has done quite a bit of work on the aspects and phases…) – but I’m also looking forward to deepening my own understanding in this way.  What interests me right off the bat is the idea of the yin phases, just generally, as being built-in regroup phases where reflection and recovery can happen after bouts of activity.  What perhaps, before, had to be sacrificed can now, in these periods, be recovered or restored.  Perhaps “failures” in the yang phases will be found, in the yin phases, to have been the result of undeveloped aspects of oneself that one had to put on hold until the yang phase completed itself…

One question I had is how might this yang-yin pattern express itself differently depending on evolutionary stage?  Possibly the further along a Soul is in its development, the deeper the yin phase?

Thank you, everyone.  I appreciate the opportunity to post this here and also I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this.

Ellen
Rad
Most Active Member

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16 AM »

Hi Ellen,

"I don’t know if this has been gone over here but I was just thinking about aspects from the perspective of the lunation cycle and it just really hit me (finally getting this!... always seems to take a subjective brainstorm…) how the 8 phases of the Moon follow a yang-yin pattern and wanted to see if how I'm thinking of this right:

New – yang
Crescent – yin
First Quarter – yang
Gibbous – yin
Full – yang
Disseminating – yin
Last Quarter – yang
Balsamic – yin

Yes, this is correct.

The aspects at the cusps of these phases would be moving from yin to yang or yang to yin:

There seems to me to be the idea of (progressive) surrender (progressive being, maybe?) for the aspects that are moving from yang to yin:

From taking action to the resolution of that action

And for those moving from yin to yang, perhaps progressive actualization (or becoming)?

From that which is existing to taking action in order for that which exits to evolve

Square (waxing & waning)
Opposition
Conjunction

What stimulated my thinking on this was the sesquiquad in my own chart between my Sun & Moon.  (My Sun is at 4+ deg Cap, 4th house.  My Moon is at 19+ deg Taurus, 8th house.)  The idea of the sesquiquad is one of frustration.  On the one hand, there is an understanding and I suppose an anticipation of the need to integrate fully into the social realm (anticipating – or preferring.. - the move from yin to yang at the end of the Gibbous phase); I think if the early (yang-influenced side of the) sesquiquad could have its way, it would skip right over the Gibbous phase entirely and on into the Full phase - because it relates to the yang energy of that phase.  Yet, if one has not succeeded in the inward focus of the Gibbous (yin) phase, there will be a lack of understanding of how one actually fits and/or how one actually goes about integrating who one is into the larger social realm.  It struck me that the sesquiquad becomes, progressively as it moves from the yang to yin side of itself, a chance to withdraw and reflect and I think also a chance to revisit and/or recover parts of oneself that perhaps were not fully developed before the 1st quarter kicked in.  In other words, the requirements of the 1st quarter perhaps necessitated a kind of sacrifice of certain developmental needs.  And now, at the sesquiquad, there is the chance to recover these, with the awareness that the goal, ie, the reason for recovering these aspects is so that integration can occur more completely at the opposition.  But one has to overcome initial resistance to get to this place.  I found this to be an extremely helpful way to look at this aspect.  If one considers that the Full Moon (yang), like the 1st Quarter (yang), will happen of its own (whether one is ready or not), then it makes sense, and perhaps is an inbuilt wisdom, that there would be a time to regroup, revisit, recover, before the next burst of energy/activity.  Thinking about it in this way is giving me a great deal of understanding into my own situation.  And, contrary to what one might think, it feels that it is opening up the possibility of actually acting in the world as I now understand and accept that my efforts to do just this (ie, go deeply within to recover lost and undeveloped parts of myself) has not been in vain or wrong or misguided or selfish or irresponsible, etc (my judgements, really, not anyone else’s).  Rather, it’s been a necessary step (a necessary learning for the sesquiquad?).  In other words, thinking about it like this has helped me to stop resisting and second guessing the process that is naturally occurring (and has been for many years, but in the face of strong inner and outer resistance and misunderstanding), and to instead allow it, finally, to happen.

I don’t know if this way of looking at these aspects (particularly the waxing sesquiquadrate) is EA proper and I would appreciate feedback on that.  But, as I said, it has given me insight into my own experience, and it feels to me that looking at the rest of the aspects using this cipher could be fruitful (I’m sure others have already done so – I know that Ari has done quite a bit of work on the aspects and phases…) – but I’m also looking forward to deepening my own understanding in this way.  What interests me right off the bat is the idea of the yin phases, just generally, as being built-in regroup phases where reflection and recovery can happen after bouts of activity.  What perhaps, before, had to be sacrificed can now, in these periods, be recovered or restored.  Perhaps “failures” in the yang phases will be found, in the yin phases, to have been the result of undeveloped aspects of oneself that one had to put on hold until the yang phase completed itself…

This is wonderful intuitive work that you are doing Ellen.

One question I had is how might this yang-yin pattern express itself differently depending on evolutionary stage?  Possibly the further along a Soul is in its development, the deeper the yin phase?

The real difference is the degree of conscious understanding of the entire process Ellen. The archetypes that you are describing exists for all Souls, and operate in an archetypal way. The very last phase in balsamic, thus yin. Thus, in the ultimate scheme of things, the Soul finally surrenders to it's MAKER, and return HOME as a result of that surrender.

So nice to have you back here Ellen.

God Bless, Rad
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:25 AM »

Hi Ellen,

"I don’t know if this has been gone over here but I was just thinking about aspects from the perspective of the lunation cycle and it just really hit me (finally getting this!... always seems to take a subjective brainstorm…) how the 8 phases of the Moon follow a yang-yin pattern and wanted to see if how I'm thinking of this right:

New – yang
Crescent – yin
First Quarter – yang
Gibbous – yin
Full – yang
Disseminating – yin
Last Quarter – yang
Balsamic – yin

Yes, this is correct.

From taking action to the resolution of that action
Hi Rad,

Thanks so much for your feedback.  This distinction you make here is really interesting to me.  I was thinking as I was thinking about how to describe it of how Robert Schmidt, in his PHASE lectures was talking about the feminine principle.  While it is commonly thought of merely "rest", in fact it is a dynamic principle in that what it is doing is bringing that which had been set in motion to completion.  This seems to resonate with what you are saying here.

From that which is existing to taking action in order for that which exits to evolve

This is very helpful.  I love EA because everything always comes right back to the basic principles, and bringing it back to those always brings such clarity and insight.  Thank you for this.

Square (waxing & waning)
Opposition
Conjunction

This is wonderful intuitive work that you are doing Ellen.

The real difference is the degree of conscious understanding of the entire process Ellen. The archetypes that you are describing exists for all Souls, and operate in an archetypal way. The very last phase in balsamic, thus yin. Thus, in the ultimate scheme of things, the Soul finally surrenders to it's MAKER, and return HOME as a result of that surrender.

So nice to have you back here Ellen.

God Bless, Rad

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement, Rad.  It is good to be able to participate here and I will continue to do so as I'm able.  It struck me the other day as I was talking to someone about the EA stages about just how incredibly much I have learned here, and in such a short time, really.  I have grown more through EA and my participation here than at any other time and in any other place in my life.  I thank you for that, and everyone here.  For now I feel that my work is more inward, in particular really spending time on my own with the archetypes.  I feel if I don't do this now, as I am feeling drawn to do, I won't be able to move onto the rest of my life when the time comes for that.  So wish me luck!

Much love, Rad - and gratitude,
Ellen

ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:01 PM »

Hi Ellen, I want to share my own experience of what you are describing here. And I really appreciate your thoughts about the yin phase.

When an aspect is at the very end of a yang phase it implies a familiarity with action, exerting oneself. The karmic resistance that the soul will face, in a general way, would be to slow down and to integrate. And as you pointed out, it also has a "regrouping" quality to it - restoring peace. Seeing this in my own chart has helped me to reflect on the ways in which I "move around too much" I have the very very last stages of a first quarter sesquiquad between my pluto and north node. It is literally only 6 minutes from entering into the gibbous phase. This is a profoundly strong statement in regards to the work I am to do in this life: to limit my choices (first quarter) and get down to work (gibbous) in the appropriate way. Evolutionarily speaking, this is new for me. Therefore, as an ea astrologer would predict, I have experienced great resistance around this - in particular the gibbous phase psychological distress of "I don't even know how to ____".

For now I feel that my work is more inward, in particular really spending time on my own with the archetypes.  I feel if I don't do this now, as I am feeling drawn to do, I won't be able to move onto the rest of my life when the time comes for that.  So wish me luck!

I just want to comment, as per that lunar phase you spoke of in your own chart, that there will be no time when you will move onto the rest of your life.
With Love,
Ari Moshe

Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18 PM »

Hi Ellen, I want to share my own experience of what you are describing here. And I really appreciate your thoughts about the yin phase.

When an aspect is at the very end of a yang phase it implies a familiarity with action, exerting oneself. The karmic resistance that the soul will face, in a general way, would be to slow down and to integrate. And as you pointed out, it also has a "regrouping" quality to it - restoring peace. Seeing this in my own chart has helped me to reflect on the ways in which I "move around too much" I have the very very last stages of a first quarter sesquiquad between my pluto and north node. It is literally only 6 minutes from entering into the gibbous phase. This is a profoundly strong statement in regards to the work I am to do in this life: to limit my choices (first quarter) and get down to work (gibbous) in the appropriate way.

Hi Ari,

Thanks so much for you thoughts on this.  Always very helpful.  Could you elaborate on the part I've highlighted above, especially the part about getting down to work in the appropriate way...  Very curious about this in terms of how you experience what that means and how that relates to the sesquiquad (see further comments below)..

Evolutionarily speaking, this is new for me. Therefore, as an ea astrologer would predict, I have experienced great resistance around this - in particular the gibbous phase psychological distress of "I don't even know how to ____".
Wondering if you could elaborate on this also.  I have found that for myself, the answer to the dilemma, "I don't even know how to.." is to do what you talk about above - limit choices and get down to work in the appropriate way.  Is that how you are thinking of it?  I find that the trick with the sesqiquad (or I suspect this is the trick) is to not get caught up in what one "should be doing" in the world, but rather to focus on the inner need/direction (yin), and then let whatever flows from there happen.. Curious about your thoughts.
For now I feel that my work is more inward, in particular really spending time on my own with the archetypes.  I feel if I don't do this now, as I am feeling drawn to do, I won't be able to move onto the rest of my life when the time comes for that.  So wish me luck!

I just want to comment, as per that lunar phase you spoke of in your own chart, that there will be no time when you will move onto the rest of your life.

Hmm.  Again, would you mind elaborating?(given what I wrote above...)

Thank you, Ari...

With Love,
Ari Moshe

ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:10 AM »

Hi Ellen,

The main issue is making rational excuses that have the purpose of keeping me from doing what I am meant to do. When it comes to doing what I am meant to do, eventually I have to let go of those excuses and JUST DO IT. And in just doing it, I become more focused and internal, and in a gibbous way, over time I create supportive routine and learn to just be ok with where I'm at/doing the best I can every day.

That's what I mean by "appropriate way".

Wondering if you could elaborate on this also.  I have found that for myself, the answer to the dilemma, "I don't even know how to.." is to do what you talk about above - limit choices and get down to work in the appropriate way.  Is that how you are thinking of it?  I find that the trick with the sesqiquad (or I suspect this is the trick) is to not get caught up in what one "should be doing" in the world, but rather to focus on the inner need/direction (yin), and then let whatever flows from there happen.. Curious about your thoughts.

Yes, and the "should be's" of course apply to the gibbous phase. The disseminating phase sesquiquad is about focusing on the internal structure of one's social reality and making necessary adjustments to align with it.

There will be no time when you move on to the rest of your life: The Virgo/gibbous pattern of "default self doubt" lends to thinking things like "I will be ready when..."
With Love,
Ari Moshe
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:22 AM »

There will be no time when you move on to the rest of your life: The Virgo/gibbous pattern of "default self doubt" lends to thinking things like "I will be ready when..."
With Love,
Ari Moshe

I see where you're coming from, Ari.  Perhaps better to say that the surrender to the sesquiquad, and the ongoing process of inner directedness, IS the "getting on with the rest of my life...."  And that is ongoing.

Addition: One more thought on this.  The sesquiquad, and any aspect, occurs within the context of an entire chart.  Perhaps by finally doing the work of the sesquiquad, one can, in terms of the rest of one's chart, finally begin to get onto that - to the rest of one's life, so long as one remembers to continue to do the work of the sesquiquad also.  In other words, by resisting the evolutionary imperative of the sesquiquad, perhaps one actually hinders the rest of one's development.  This statement, of course, would have to be evaluated within the context of any given chart...  Food for thought, anyway.

Further addition: Ari, I think what I'm responding to is the sense of hopelessness that your statement brings up for me.  To abide by your statement, I would have to concede that there can be no possibility of any kind of happiness or fulfillment in life.  I feel that, indeed, by settling into the work of the sesquiquad - by finally GETTING that - I will now be able to go into that work, and that work, while ongoing and within the context of that sesquiquad itself, will always lead to further inner work - the next layer that one "realizes" one must develop or delve into; nevertheless, it is this work that is awakening in me the realization that, inded, if I actually DO apply myself to do that inner work, that will make it possible to act in the world - to have actually internalized the necessary knowledge to proceed.  I may feel, always, that there is the next thing.  And indeed there always will be.  Yet at the same time, as long as one resists the sesquiquad, my feeling is that fulfillment in the world is absolutely impossible because you can never be anything more than a sham, never having really internalized or gained genuine understanding or knowledge.  It is the difference between the FACT that one does not know anything (because one has not made it one's own) vs the FEAR (not based in fact) that one does not know enough.  Virgo can act in the world, but it must do so even though it feels that it is not ready.  If Virgo has not done the necessary inner work, or learned the necessary craft or whatever, then that fear will be based on fact.  If Virgo HAS done the necessary work, then that fear will not be based on fact and Virgo will need to find a way to act anyway, and trust/surrender (Pisces polarity).  Sorry to go on about this but this is an important point for me.  I guess I'm thinking of the sesquiquad as only one facet of a whole chart..

With kindness,
Ellen
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:06 PM by Ellen » Logged
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:56 PM »

Hi Ari,

Just in case you already read my post, I added a couple of additions to it.

Best wishes,
Ellen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: