School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Nodes (true vs. mean) & aspect phases: applying vs. separating

Started by seeking_truth, Oct 12, 2011, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seeking_truth

Hi,

Since the nodal axis moves clockwise/retrograde through the zodiac--whereas the planets move counterclockwise/direct, I wanted to know how to determine whether an aspect to the nodal axis is applying or separating.

I finished reading Deva's book (Evolutionary Astrology: Pluto & Your Karmic Mission) a few weeks ago.  It was amazing!  Very helpful, Deva!  This was the first I had heard about aspect phases.

For example, my Moon is about 8 degrees past an exact opposition to my natal Pluto.  With Pluto aspects, you start from Pluto, then move counterclockwise toward the other planet, correct?  This would make an aspect of about 188 degrees, a separating Full Phase Opposition.  If my Moon were just before an exact opposition, it would be an applying Gibbous Phase Opposition, correct?

But how does this work with the Nodes if they're moving in the opposite direction?  Pluto is square the nodal axis, with the SN on the left (resolution node).  Therefore, starting from Pluto, Pluto is making a 270-degree square to the SN.  Although the square is very tight, my SN (using the True Node) is about 271 degrees past Pluto.  So is this a Last Quarter Square (separating)?  Yet at the time of my birth, the SN and Pluto were actually moving away from each other, applying to an exact square (Pluto & the NN were moving toward each other).  Do I use this logic instead and consider this a Disseminating Square (applying)?

This little difference of just a couple degrees seems to play a big part in determining the evolutionary growth of the aspect's lesson--whether or not one has already reached a peak in a prior lifetime.

Oh, by the way, does EA focus on the True Node or the Mean Node?  I've heard that some astrologers (of any paradigm) like to use the True Node in the natal chart, but the Mean Node in progressions and Nodal transits.  This would obviously make a difference.  In the above example, my Mean Node would actually be slightly less than 270 degrees away from my Pluto.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions,

Jen

Rad

Hi Jen,

This topic has been covered extensively on the message board. Click on the Search tab above and then type is "applying and separating aspects to the nodes".

God Bless, Rad

Steve

hi Jen

Just want to add that after you read the material Rad suggested you search for, feel free to post further questions or comments.  Its just that many things have already been covered here at great length.  Rather than rehash them, its easiest to first have have people read what's already been posted.  After that, someone can always have questions or comments that have not yet been discussed.  You are quite welcome to ask those or make comments, either as new posts or as add-ons to older posts.

As far as true and mean nodes, Jeffrey taught us to use true nodes with the reason true nodes are what exist in the sky.  Means are mathematical abstractions that exist only in human brains.  EA is about what is natural, not what is man made.  Thus true nodes correlate to actual reality.

And, welcome to our message board.  Please feel at home here.  Thanks for your contributions.
Steve

Elen

seeking_truth

Hello again,

Thank you all for your replies.  I had done a search but didn't get very good results--must have been a problem with my search terminology.

Yes, the True Node makes sense to me.  I've always used it, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks, Ellen--I read the posts from the link you provided.  I think I get it.

Simply put, for an aspect between two planets, start from the slower planet, then go counter-clockwise to the faster planet to calculate the aspect phase.

Aspect between a planet & the Sun, always start with the Sun, then go counter-clockwise.

For an aspect between any planet (including Sun) and a node, start with the planet, then go clockwise to the node.

EX:

Saturn at 5* Virgo, Moon at 6* Virgo: New Phase Conjunction
(Saturn counterclockwise to Moon)

Saturn at 5* Virgo, Pluto at 6* Virgo: Balsamic Phase Conjunction
(Pluto counterclockwise to Saturn)

Sun at 5* Virgo, Pluto at 6* Virgo: New Phase Conjunction
(Sun counterclockwise to Pluto)

BUT...

"Any Planet" at 5* Virgo, Node at 6* Virgo: Balsamic Conjunction
("Planet" clockwise to Node; "Planet" & Node moving toward each other)

Node at 5* Virgo, "Planet" at 6* Virgo: New Conjunction
("Planet" clockwise to Node; "Planet & Node moving away from each other)

Sorry to rehash, just thought I'd contribute an ultra-simplified version (it's the teacher in me).

Hope I got it right!

Thanks again,

Jen

Rad

seeking_truth

Thanks, Rad!  Helps to know I'm on the right track.

Have a great day!

Jen

Elen

Hi Rad,

Just to clarify: when figuring out aspects involving a planet and node, there is no need to take into consideration the speed of the planet, correct?  The way to figure it out is to "stand" on the node, so to speak, facing the center of the chart and from there determine if the planet is to the left or right of the node.  Once that is figured out, the aspect can be determined.  Correct?

Thanks.  And sorry to go over this.  I felt a little confused from the discussion on the thread I posted a link to, which I think is the best discussion about this on the board.  The method of standing on the node makes the most sense to me...

Peace,
Ellen

Rad