School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Astrologer/client relationship

Started by Linda, Mar 25, 2013, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendy

Wendy

Quote from: Wendy on Apr 18, 2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the response Rad.  I appreciate learning about this.

God Bless,
Wendy

Rad

Hi Wendy,

I am considering that, at some point, of starting a medical thread in which we can review and discuss the anatomical and physiological astrological correlations that JWG taught.

God Bless,Rad

Upasika

I'd be totally into that Rad, it'd be so wonderful if you did that !

Rad

Hi Upasika,

Well I am really thinking about it. If we do it it will have to be done very carefully because of various laws in various countries concerning medical laws. So am thinking about how to do it in such a way as to not violate any of these things.

God Bless, Rad

Wendy

Hi Rad,

I would totally be into studying JWG's perspective on medical astrology!  I am aware of medical astrological laws and hope we can find a way to pursue.  I'm not sure its a problem to study it, it's more of an issue when applying it with clients, for money, at least that is my understanding.

Thanks and God Bless,
Wendy

ari moshe

Oh gee I'd love the opportunity to practice that Rad.
One thought that shows up is to preface that thread with a disclaimer of some sort.

Upasika

Hi Rad / all,

I can see we would need to be sure we were legally protected. I'm no lawyer, but I cannot imagine how any country that legally supports free speech could object to the simple learning/discussion of medical astrology that such a thread would amount to ...??

As Wendy says, applying the knowledge to clients for money is an entirely different issue - numerous countries have laws restricting what may be possible. But that would be something each participant/reader would need to take responsibility for, by clarifying for themselves what exactly they are permitted to do by law in their respective countries. Often it amounts to not being allowed to advertise or officially practice medicine without certain qualifications/permits.

My own view though, is that having the knowledge itself can do no harm, and even if only used indirectly, could potentially be very helpful. In the vein of what Ari suggested for the thread itself (which seems a good idea), I'd initially give any potential recipient of medical advice from me a full unconditional disclaimer (possibly signed by them) to the effect that I am not medically qualified as such, and unless confirmed as safe by their healthcare professional, to approach cautiously as any suggestion I gave must be used at their own risk.

However, used with sensitivity, intuition and maturity ... given how amazingly accurate EA is in it's workings, I would sense this knowledge could be invaluable to have at our disposal and could potentially benefit many. My feeling about it anyway...

blessings Upasika

Rad

Hi Upasika, Wendy, and Ari

Thanks for your thoughts/ suggestions about this. I will consider your suggestions, and others, to see if it will be ok to do this. If we do it will occur after we are done with the thread on the planetary method.

God Bless,Rad

Gonzalo

Hi Rad,

I would like to add my opinion about the potential for legal liability arising from postings related to health issues. Personally I would like to have the opinion of a US lawyer involved in this legal area, but I don't know who to ask, so I'm just posting my opinion and what I discussed with a couple of other Chilean lawyers.

1) Even though in principles there should be no question that the intention of the thread would be the EA learning of medical astrology, and not the counseling of clients or patients, there are in fact many people who are seeking medical information on the internet, for their own health improvement or their client's health. Also, there are many websites offering medical information. Here I found some information on this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761893/

2) Some of the information that these "˜patients' or practitioners can find in this way can be suitable for their health needs, and some not, depending on each case, and since offering or just posting health information is different than counseling and prescribing-which needs to occur on an individual basis- in principle it should be the sole "˜patient' or practitioner's liability if they chose to apply the "˜information' to the individual case.

3) This also involves the freedom of expression which is so important in the US constitution, much more than in other countries.

4) HOWEVER, the potential does exist that someone may wrongly apply the information and knowledge to an individual case to which it is not applicable, and obtain undesired results. Further, I can imagine that posting health information that can provide an accurate understanding or diagnosis, beyond consensus, or information that can work in very effective ways in the cases when it does apply, such as EA and Rad's knowledge can offer, can attract people wanting to put such source of information down. And, in these cases, the "˜arguments' against this would of course revolve around medical information ethics, medical fraud (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/06/cureall.shtm), etc. A specific point to consider relates to "˜alternative' remedies, and further, some remedies which the same website offers or refers to.

5) I totally agree with the need to consider a very clear DISCLAIMER. I think a Disclaimer should state:

(1) That the information posted has a general nature, or applies only to the real or hypothetic birthcharts discussed, and does not mean to be applicable to other people.

(2) That each individual case is unique, and thus, the individual people should not rely solely on EA medical information that has not been given on an individual consultation basis.

(3) That the information provided originates in astrological and alternative medical understanding, and not necessarily in medical science, and that the EA practitioners are not medical doctors or acting as such.

(4) That the type of medical information or knowledge that is shared here, including references to alternative remedies, is not meant to replace medical treatments or prescriptions when applicable, and that each individual person should always consult their own personal medical advisor.

Such type of Disclaimer could perhaps be added in the "If this is your first visit, please read this first", in the heading of the thread, and automated to appear in the individual posts within the thread.   

I think such type of Disclaimer should suffice, but I still feel that perhaps it could be good to have a US lawyer opinion on this matter anyway. I'm wondering who could I ask having knowledge in this field who would be willing to give advice without charging, but perhaps some other participating in this message board can have closer connections with US lawyers.

God Bless, Gonzalo

cat777

In regard to Medical Astrology, Eileen Nauman is possibly the foremost authority on Medical Astrology in the U.S.  She wrote a classic text way back in 1970 I believe.  Naumean is not afraid to share her knowledge or findings on-line or in print.  She is however very  good at pointing out what you should, can, should,'t and can't do with such knowledge. 

There should be no reason why we can't discuss Medical Astrology here and learn what JWG taught.  Like Gonzalo suggests there should be a disclaimer.

Here is a good article on the subject:

http://innerself.com/content/self-help/personal-growth/astrology/health/5569-medical-astrology.html

The important part:

"As a medical astrologer, the goal is not to prescribe for the client (which is against the law) but rather to become a clearing-house of information, in addition to educating a client about possible choices. A medical counselor can become the hub of a wheel, educating him/herself in many systems of medicine, and approaches to healing, that are available to clients.

It is very important not to misrepresent what you are and what you do. When a client accepts you as a medical astrologer, it is not the same as if s/he accepts you as his/her "doctor". Nothing could be further from the truth. In essence, you are a healer using the tool of astrology as a focus on health-related problems. Your responsibility is to send this individual (after informing him/her of the many choices s/he has) in a direction s/he has chosen and is comfortable with to seek competent medical help.

A medical astrologer does not tell a client to take a vitamin, mineral, herb, homeopathic remedy, or anything else. The medical astrologer educates the client about these things, then leaves the responsibility of choice up to the person. One's health is one's own responsibility. Gradually, people in this country are coming to view and accept this vital concept. Your health is your responsibility."