School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Coursework: Black Moon

Started by Rav, May 14, 2013, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me.

I use the astrological package Janus and I have uploaded each EA coursework chart onto the system and I've noticed that the chart location of the Black Moon is different on the computer charts when compared to the location on the printed charts of the EA coursework documentation.

For example - homework chart 1 states that the Black Moon is located in the 7th house in Leo at 28 degrees. On my computer chart it states that the Black Moon is located in the 8th house in Virgo at 9 degrees! Everything else is pretty much the same. Therefore I am trying to figure out why this Asteroid is located in a different position!

Would anyone know why this could be? And is anyone else a pro on Janus software? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I asked Deva and she suggested I should try this message board.

Many thanks in advance.

Rav.

cat777

Hi Rav,

It may be because the Black Moon is similiar to the lunar nodes in that it has both mean and true positions.  The difference can be huge - up to 30 degrees.  So I'm thinking the two programs that were used to calculate the charts are set differently in regard to the mean or true position of the Black Moon.

cat 

Rav

Hi Cat

That would make sense, thank you so much for responding. I will check out the program settings.

Many thanks.

Rav.

cat777

Hi Rav,

I use janus 4 softwrae so I played with it a bit.  I see you can set the nodes to True or Mean, but do not see anyplace to set it for the Black Moon.  I was hoping that the node setting would take care of both but ran out of time to check.  Being that you didn't mention the nodes being different than the Solar Fire Charts, I have a hunch it is independent.

I am wondering if the BM can be set to True or Mean in Solar Fire?  Maybe someone here can answer that for us. 

Each program may only be using a default setting and how would we know which is which?

cat

Rav

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to find my way around Janus software myself!

Rav.

cat777

Hi Rav,

I haven't found the answer yet, but this is very interesting:

http://astrologer.ru/book/dark_moon/index.html.en

cat

cat777

Ok, in regard to Solar Fire:

"The Black Moon is one of the chart points which may be displayed in any chart or grid also sometimes known as the Black Moon Lilith and is popular in Europe. This point is the empty focal point of the Moons orbit around the earth, which is also the apogee of the Moons orbit. The speed based on an orbital period of 3231.45 days. It is possible to select the Black Moon as either the true (osculating) apogee or the mean apogee in the Preferences section of Solar Fire."

Linda

Hi Cat and Rav,

Here's a link to the Asteroids thread where we just covered the three Liliths:

https://forum.schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/index.php/topic,309.msg17668.html#msg17668

and here are instructions for Solar Fire settings:

https://forum.schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/index.php/topic,309.msg17813.html#msg17813

Linda

cat777

Hi Linda and Rav,

Thanks Linda.

Rav, it seems that janus is giving Mean BML.

Check out the link below.  You enter your birth time and date and get both Mean and True (as well as "natural")  

Mean Apogee is Mean BML
Osc (oscillating) Apogee is True BML

Based on the answers given here, what I get on my chart in janus is Mean BML

http://www.kentauren.info/menu/index1.htm?page=/cgi-bin/planephn.pl

cat

Rav

Hi Linda and Cat,

Thank you for the information and links.

Cat - the BML is set to calculate the mean position rather than the true, as I contacted a Janus software engineer. They didn't say as to whether it can be amended, just that the default setting is set at Mean.

I'm very likely just going to invest in Solar Fire software if I can't figure out how to change the settings. The Virgo in me likes to be precise!  :)

Your assistance in this has been greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Rav.

cat777

Hi Rav,

Honestly, I don't see any way to set it (in Janus).  Being that EA always uses "True" - it would be a pain in the neck to have to go calculate it somewhere else (like the link above) and pencil it in and figure out all the aspects, so it seems that Solar Fire is the only real option.  I think I read that there are only three programs that even include it and only Solar Fire was mentioned as being capable of calculating either or.  :-)

Other than that, janus is a fine piece of software  :-)
cat

Rav

Hi Cat,

I don't think I've got the patience to sit and work out all the aspects etc! Lol  And I agree, apart from this issue with BML, Janus is a really good software package.

Rav.

Rav

Hi all,

I have another question regarding the Black Moon.

Does anyone know the planetary speed of this asteroid? I've look through the EA glossary and other notes but can't seem to find anything on this. Can anyone help clarify this?

Many thanks,

Rav.

Linda

Hi Rav,

Black Moon Lilith is not a solid object. It is a mathematical point of alignment, the apogee of the Moon's orbit, furthest away from the Earth. 9 year orbit. Spends 9 months in each sign.

However Asteroid Lilith, a real object, traveling between Mars and Jupiter has an orbital period of 4.36 years.

Love,

Linda

Rav

Hi Linda

Thank you for the information provided.

Much appreciated,

Rav.