School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Degrees of the moon's nodes

Started by bluesky, Apr 07, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesky

Hi there, I have been wondering if there's any significant to the actual degree of the moon's nodes -- aside from aspects being made to it -- ie. would a nodal axis across 1 degree be someone who is finishing up "lessons" regarding that nodal placement, and someone with nodes across the last degree of the sign be indicative of someone who is beginning to work with that nodal axis placement, since the nodes are retrograde?

so, is there are difference between (for example) 29 degree Aries/29 libra nodal axis and 0 degree Aries/0 degree libra?

thanks for any insight anyone might have.

Steve

Hi bluesky

Quote from: bluesky on Apr 07, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi there, I have been wondering if there's any significant to the actual degree of the moon's nodes -- aside from aspects being made to it -- ie. would a nodal axis across 1 degree be someone who is finishing up "lessons" regarding that nodal placement, and someone with nodes across the last degree of the sign be indicative of someone who is beginning to work with that nodal axis placement, since the nodes are retrograde?

The simple answer is what you said is correct.   29 will have new phase-like qualities to it - instinctual, and 0 will have balsamic-like qualities - culminating.
Steve

bluesky

Steve, thanks for your answer.

jana

Quote from: Steve on Apr 07, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hi bluesky

Quote from: bluesky on Apr 07, 2010, 01:49 PM

The simple answer is what you said is correct.   29 will have new phase-like qualities to it - instinctual, and 0 will have balsamic-like qualities - culminating.
Steve

Forgive me if I am being dense, but doesn't the 29th degree imply the planet has transited the whole sign and therefore culminating? What am I missing?

Many thanks and blessings,

Jana

bluesky

Hi Jana,

I was talking about the moon's nodes in particular (rather than the planets themselves). So, since they are moving in a retrograde motion and moving backwards through a sign, the moons south (or north) node at say 29 degrees is, as Steve puts it, initiating the "lessons" of that sign.

I was curious about this, since in my own life, I have south node in Capricorn while one of my niece's has it there too, but much earlier in the sign. Let's just say she realized a lot of the positive capricorn lessons at an earlier age than I did!

So, Steve's "simple" answer basically confirmed my thoughts about this.

Steve

Jana

Just to clarify bluesky's answer:  the mean motion of the nodes of the moon is retrograde - they move backwards.  Thus, unlike almost all other symbols in a chart, they enter a sign at 29 degrees and exit it at zero.   That is why I described 29 as new phase like, and 0 degrees as balsamic like.

For almost all other chart symbols, what you described is correct.
Steve

Dhyana

Quote from: Steve on Apr 08, 2010, 06:54 PM
Jana

Just to clarify bluesky's answer:  the mean motion of the nodes of the moon is retrograde - they move backwards.  Thus, unlike almost all other symbols in a chart, they enter a sign at 29 degrees and exit it at zero.   That is why I described 29 as new phase like, and 0 degrees as balsamic like.

For almost all other chart symbols, what you described is correct.
Steve
[/u][/color]

Steve,  when you said the part in red, did you mean that for all other chart symbols it would be correct EXCEPT IF THOSE PLANETS ARE ALSO RETROGRADE?
just trying to comprehend it all

Thanks
Dhyana

tammycossey

I think it might make a difference if it was a true node or means (SP?) node. Please  help me I'm confused

bluesky

I would like to ask another question about this:

is there any significance to the nodes being direct rather than retrograde? ie. last degree of sign with nodes direct, first degree of sign with nodes being direct - does this imply additional meaning?

thanks again for any insight :)

Steve

Hi all

Let's try not to left brain something that is inherently simple and make it overly complicated.

The mean motion of the lunar nodes is retrograde in all charts, even if the nodes are direct in a specific chart.   In all cases the nodes enter a sign at 29 degrees and exit at zero degrees.

The mean motion of EVERY PLANET is DIRECT, even the ones that are retrograde for almost 6 months a year.   Even if a planet is retrograde in a chart, it entered a sign for the first time at zero degrees and exits after 29 degrees.

There is no planet whose mean motion is backwards through the zodiac.   In other words, Neptune leaves Aquarius and enters Pisces, not Capricorn, in 100% of cases.    Whereas, the nodes leave Cancer and enter Gemini, not Leo, in 100% of cases.

Bluesky, Jeffrey taught that in his experience, in general people with nodes direct had a clearer sense of what they were here for earlier on than people with nodes retro.  My own experiences haven't been conclusive about that observation.  I've discussed this with a few other EA astrologers, and they are inconclusive about it also.  It's something you can observe in charts, and come to your own conclusions.

Tammy, thanks for your thought.  It has noting to do with whether using mean or true nodes.  EA astrologers have been taught to use true nodes, as that is what actually exists in the sky.  
  There is a difference between mean nodes and mean motion.   Mean nodes is a mathematical abstraction that smooths out the actual motion of the nodes.  This does not exist in reality, only in abstraction.     Mean motion means that, overall, the movement of the nodes is retrograde, even though there are periods when the nodes are direct and moving forward.   All of my previous comments were about mean motion, not mean nodes.

bluesky

Steve, thanks for your response.

tammycossey

Thanx I was beginning to panic!!!! After taking Jeff class in 1997 I,m final going to finish my homework!!! Namaste Tammy