School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

Reading Chart Aspects Accurately

Started by Dhyana, Apr 08, 2010, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhyana

I am posting my chart wheel and the data sheet from astrodienst.com here because I am having trouble figuring out some technicalities regarding aspects, especially aspects to the nodes.

I am putting up my chart for the sake of figuring this out, bc this is a difficulty I have when I bring up charts from astrodienst.(I'm not not as skilled in technical part of chart reading as the intuitive part relating to the archetypes ).I was told many months ago, by Kim Marie, that I have the moon square the nodes-- but I simply do not see it in the chart I have from astrodienst.com. It does not list this square to the nodes. I would like to know how one can see the squares to the nodes without it being listed on the chart data? As I look at the diagrams that come with the wheel as well as all the data below the wheel, on the row of the NN, the only aspects I see to the NN is the Sesquiquadrate to Mars, and the Opposition to Mercury. Am I missing something?

And what about aspects to the South Node?  How do we deliniate those aspects?  On most chart diagrams I have seen, the SN is not even listed in the data below the wheel at all? How do we find the aspects to the SN?  Or are the aspects to the SN simply IMPLIED by the aspects to the NN?

My aim in asking for help with reading these wheels and data sheets is to be able to find skipped steps in the charts I look at.

Is there a different chart software, preferable free online, that actually lists in WRITING  the aspects, rather than gives out just the diagram data sheets? --that anyone might know of?  

This has been a real stumbling block for me in moving ahead with my EA understandings when looking at charts,especially. If the aspects to the NN is not spelled out clearly and REAL OBVIOUS then I just can't seem to figure it out technically.
It seems the data listed on sites like astrodienst may not list ALL aspects?

Could someone list the aspects to the NODES with my chart I have posted and perhaps explain how you found them so that I may be able to do the same for charts in the future?  

ANY SUGGESTIONS REGARDING THIS TOPIC WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED --THE MORE THE BETTR!  Thanks so much for your time~

Thanks anybody.

Dhyana

Elen

Hi Dhyana,

A square = 90 degrees.

An orb = the # of degrees +/- exactitude (in this case of 90 degrees) that one allows in calculating aspects (in this case, the square).  Programs use different orbs to calculate aspects, so if you or someone else uses wider orbs than the program, the program will not show it.  I don't know if you can adjust the width of the orbs on the astrodienst program.  I also use astrodienst, so I don't have another program to recommend to you.

Calculating aspects:

Your NN is at 15 degrees Taurus.  Moving counterclockwise around the chart, count the degrees to your Moon (6 degrees Leo).  Each sign takes up 30 degrees.  So, from 15 degrees Taurus to 15 degrees of the next sign (Gemini) = 30 degrees.  From 15 degrees Gemini to 15 degrees Cancer = 30 degrees.  From 15 degrees Cancer to 15 degrees Leo = 30 degrees.  Total = 90 degrees (square aspect).  Your Moon is at 6 degrees Leo, however, not 15 degrees Leo.  That makes it (your Moon) 9 degrees short of a full 90 degree square.  If you allow an orb of 10 degrees +/-, your Moon falls within orb of a square.  (People often use 10 degree orbs for the Sun/Moon.  I'm not sure what is standard within the EA paradigm.)

The SN is always exactly opposite (180 degrees) the NN, so if a planet is square one node, it is square the other.  Since your NN is 15 degrees Taurus, your SN is then at 15 degrees Scorpio.  If you continue counting degrees, in 30 degree chunks, from 15 degrees Leo, you will find that 180 degrees falls at 15 degrees Scorpio.

I hope this helps. 

Peace,
Ellen

PS It can be helpful to think in terms of the Triplicities (signs that are trine - 120 degrees - one another) and Quadruplicities (signs that are square - 90 degrees - one another).  It can be a kind of shorthand.  Once you have them down, then it's just a matter of seeing if the planets fall within orb.  In your chart,  Taurus, Leo and Scorpio are part of the FIXED Quadruplicity (Aquarius is the 4th sign in this group).  These signs are always square or opposite (opposite = 180 degrees, which is 90 degrees x2) one another.  However, because there are 30 degrees to a sign, planets may not always fall within orb for an aspect to occur, ie, you could have a planet at 1 degree Taurus and another at 29 degrees Leo.  30 degrees from 1 degree Taurus = 1 degree Leo.  Add 10 degrees and it only takes you to 11 degrees Leo.  The planet at 29 degrees Leo is not within orb. 

PamS

Hi Dyanna,

ok, no problem..

I actually dont mind doing this as it keeps my tech skills in flow....

What I did was put your chart into Porphyry house system which is what we use in EA"¦  

The only changes are the Nodes which now are in 3/9 and not 2/8"¦  with 3rd house  being NN (Taurus)  and 9th house being SN (Scorpio)

Yes you have Moon square the Nodes...  a square is 90 degrees.... look at the moon and count 90 degrees to the left (as you are standing on the moon looking into the chart) you get 6 degrees Taurus well within the 10 degree for a square..

Jupiter is a wide square the Nodes its 10 degrees, I would read it as skipped step too....

Moon in Leo in the 6th is a skipped step for you with the resolution node being the NN in Taurus in the 3rd...

NOTE**  this is the confusing stuff in EA ---With the nodes you start with planet and count clockwise to the node....

with the planets you start with the largest planet and move counterclockwise- except the sun, sun aspects always start with the sun and move counterclockwise....

remember clockwise will we moving backwards through the zodiac

Ruler of the SN is Pluto in Virgo in the 7th

SN is 14 52 Scorpio  ( as ellen said it ALWAYS 180 degrees opposite NN)

SN new phase conjunt Mercury-  look at mercury at 19 51 Scorpio go clockwise on the chart and in 5 degrees you hit 14 52 Scorpio
SN new phase semi sextile Venus
SN  balsamic semi square Mars
SN  first quarter trine Saturn
SN  last quarter septile Uranus
SN new phase conjunt Neptune
SN last quarter sextile Pluto

Ruler of the NN is Venus in Sag in the 10th  

NN full phase opposition Mercury
NN full phase quincunx (inconjunt)  Venus
NN  first quarter sesquadrate Mars
NN  disseminating trine Saturn
NN crescent septile Uranus
NN full phase opposition Neptune
NN crescent phase sextile Pluto

All I can say is that it takes time to learn all this, patience and practice... My program does the data as well as shows the SN and I have the ability to shift the degrees of the aspects.  Astro.com I think only has maybe 6 degrees for a square, that is why the Moon square the nodes did not show up on the data sheet.  As well as astro.com does not show the SN.  Actually what I did was write down the aspects and count.  The EA school material has a aspect circle which makes it easier to plug in the phase of the aspect, but you still have to know the aspect.  It really is not that hard, just take it a step at a time, but you need to know the numerical amount of each aspect.... I do not know of any program that will give you the EA cycle of aspects.  
Im gone for the weekend so I wont we able to respond after tonight.. so good luck, here is my little bit of help...

blessings,

pam

Dhyana

PAM,

Wow!  Thank you so much for taking that time to list all my Nodal aspects! I feel so blessed!

...now, is the task of deciphering them -- what do they say about my journey? Rad had explained some of this to me --esp in regards to my my Moon/Jupiter, Mercury Rulership and Venus Inconjunct -- but the rest I don't know about yet? Any pointers as to where to start finding that out? Perhaps reccomending something I can purchase here on this website --a particular JG DVD or transcript or two?

I am begining to make payment towards the EA school tuition each month, but it will be a while before I have that paid off so it will be a while before I get the course work started. In the meantime, working with the NODES would be a good idea bc I can probably afford to buy a $20 DVD here and there --or something?

Thanks
Dhyana

Dhyana

Ellen,

I so appreciate the way you write bc it is easy for me to understand. I have had a lot of cognitive issues all of my life, and as of the last year or so it has gotten pretty intense.  So I really wanted to thank you for the way in which you wrote bc it was easy for me to read. It felt like it was written as if you were actually talking to me --not sure why it felt that way, but it just did.
Thank You Ellen,
--you're a good friend

Love Dhyana

PamS

Hi Dhyanna,

I will get back to you on monday... What I can say is, that get the school material, watch the DVDs and read the books...  Im a Pluto in Virgo too and what I know about Virgo is that we need to just take it a day at a time.  Each day learn something new and just keep at it.  You will learn it eventually..... I know this ....  If you read the pluto books the aspects are in them so you can study all that ....I know at first its overwhelming.... If you had  a reading with Rad and Kim Marie then i am sure you recieved lots of information......

i will get back to you next week on your other queries!

blessings,

pam