School of Evolutionary Astrology

visit the School of Evolutionary Astrology  web site

1 2 meditation

Started by ari moshe, Feb 11, 2010, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ari moshe

I am deeply grateful for Jeffrey Wolf Green's devotion and spiritual teaching.

I have a question about the meditation- on the clip just added: http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/school/how-to-know-god
(I really recommend this clip), JWG says the key for the practice is to focus on the "1, 2" and not the breath. He says the key is concentration.

I've been doing this meditation by just focusing my awareness of the sensation of inhale and exhale. Is there a difference between awareness concentrated on two numbers (or a two word mantra) as opposed to on the breath itself? Thank you.

Rad

Ari,

If you just focus on the breath, the inhale and exhale, then you are remaining within the world of cause and affect, the world of duality that the inhale and exhale symbolize. To concentrate and focus on the one/ two is to create a third point, trinity, within the consciousness that allows for the breath to progressively shallow and then suspend itself. Without that concentration of the one/two this transcendence from the world of duality can not occur. To suspend the breath leads to the direct inner perception of the inner eye, the third eye: the third point, the trinity, linked to the two external eyes. Once this perception begins it will deepen over time and the Soul, by birth right, will remember how to unite with it, penetrate it. Once this begins the varying degrees or levels of cosmic consciousness begins.

Rad

ari moshe

Hi Rad,

I recognize I'm posting a lot right now, so I have no expectations that you'll get to any of this.

I've hesitated from asking too many questions about this meditation because the inner answer I always get is "stop seeking- meditate and find out for yourself". However these questions keep coming up, so I will ask them. And perhaps this will be beneficial for others.

1. Could the same results occur if one puts their focus on something else besides the 1/2? Such as focusing on body sensation, focusing the auditory senses on a particular sound, or on a singular thought/idea?

2. Before I learned about this meditation, I had experienced the suspension of breath in meditation. It happened a number of times when I was practicing "A Course in Miracles". There was a period of time in which I was required to meditate for 5 minutes every hour of the waking day. During meditation I was to focus on a particular affirmation/truth to focus on during meditation (each day a different one) such as:
"I am sustained by the Love of God", or "Miracles are seen in light", or "I am as God created me" etc...

What would sometimes happen is I would connect with the phrase, and penetrate into it. My mind would remain sustained in the energy/truth of the phrase, and while that was happening, my breath would shallow, on a couple occasions actually ceased (until my mind got in the way), but for the most part the need to breath was minimal- and i even recall noticing that inhalation and exhalation became a distraction from the unity I was experiencing.

Is there any difference between that and the 1/2 meditation?

Thank you so much.

Rad

Ari,

The 'secret' in meditation, like the 1/2, is CONCENTRATION. As one concentrates on the 1/2, inhale and exhale, and not the breath itself, then the concentration will lead to the progressive shallowing and suspension of the breath. In the other examples you used you can see that it was the concentration that lead to the very temporary suspension that you experienced. But those other things do just that: very temporary at best that do create a sense of the consciousness being expanded in some way. But this is very different that actually suspending the breath for a length of time beyond a few seconds here and there. Thus, the 1/2 and/ or any other meditation method that reduces all word possibilities to two words: i.e. hong and sau.

Rad

jana

Quote from: Rad on Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Ari,
...To suspend the breath leads to the direct inner perception of the inner eye, the third eye: the third point, the trinity, linked to the two external eyes. Once this perception begins it will deepen over time and the Soul, by birth right, will remember how to unite with it, penetrate it.
Rad

Does the inner eye correspond to a structure in the brain?

ari moshe

Hi Rad,
Before I continue to post on this thread I want to ask if further questioning is invited. I recognize that this topic isn't directly related to ea, and I want to honor your time.

Thank you,
Ari Moshe

Rad

Hi Jana,
No, not in the sense that we could open up the brain and find a physical tissue called the third eye like we could find dendrites for example. The nature of the third eye is ENERGY. Just as consciousness in energy. We can't open up the brain and find consciousness either. It is energy. We can't open up the body and find feelings or emotions either. They are energy. Yet we know we have feelings, emotions, and consciousness by the sheer fact of being alive in human form. With the breath shallows and is still the energy of the third eye is then perceived by consciousness, the Soul.

Rad

Rad

Hi Ari,

Sure it's ok to ask more about this ................

Rad

jana

Quote from: Rad on Apr 13, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Jana,
No, not in the sense that we could open up the brain and find a physical tissue called the third eye like we could find dendrites for example. The nature of the third eye is ENERGY. Just as consciousness in energy. We can't open up the brain and find consciousness either. It is energy. We can't open up the body and find feelings or emotions either. They are energy. Yet we know we have feelings, emotions, and consciousness by the sheer fact of being alive in human form. With the breath shallows and is still the energy of the third eye is then perceived by consciousness, the Soul.

Rad

Thanks Rad,

I was thinking possibly the pineal gland. I remember reading something (not here) about that getting activated in meditation. Peace :)

Rad

HI Jana,

The pineal gland becomes increasingly stimulated as the breath begins to shallow. As it does so the pineal begins to generate higher levels of melatonin within the brain. Melatonin is very much part of the physiology, chemistry, within the brain that correlates with transcendent states of consciousness linked with the inner perception of the third eye. But it is not the third eye in and of itself.

Rad

ari moshe

Hi Rad,

Thank you again for this opportunity. The questions on this post are about the astrological/scientific aspects of practice.

1. In reference to your last post to Jana, do you (or anyone) have any medical/scientific/yogic etc references that would help clarify the phenomena you speak of: "The pineal gland becomes stimulated as breath begins to shallow".

2. You have said in the "channeling" thread that the visuals of the though complexes of the brain are Neptune, Pluto and Moon- the Soul/God/Identity trinity. How do those archetypes relate to the transcendent states of consciousness that naturally unfold? Is the answer that the soul (Pluto) merges itself with the Truth (Neptune) when the identification with an ego that is separate (moon) is stilled (sustaining of breath). Thus moving the soul's center of gravity from ego to Source- symbolizing the natural, symbiosis of the water trinity.

Likewise, gravity is Saturn- would you say that in order for this practice to be achieved, a soul has to have reached a point in their evolution in which it no longer neglecting to take responsibility for it's own karma? As otherwise, the soul's center of gravity will be in ego- constantly being drawn back into the world of duality in order to resolve certain things...

3. This leads me to the next questions. Is it possible for the sustained suspension of breath, and the consequent unfolding of transcendent states of consciousness, to be achieved by anyone of any evolutionary state? Or only possible at end of first stage spiritual? My hunch, if I'm understanding things correctly, is the latter.

4. Is this practice more appropriate for some souls more than others (ie specifically those that have a synthesis of the Pisces/Moon/Pluto archetypes?)

Thank you.
Ari

ari moshe

Hi Rad,

These questions are specifically about the practice itself.

1. I noticed that when I focus on the sau hong (or 1/2) each word lasts as long as the breath (ie I focus on "sau" during the inhale- and "hong" during the exhale). Is the recommendation to do it like that, or to focus on the two words independent of the rhythm of the breath?

2. Why two words instead of one?

3. What is the difference between a meditation practice that is just about "being with What Is" (which is A LOT) and the 1/2 meditation?
To explain: Many spiritual teachers (ie adyashanti) recommend the practice just being with what is. Being with what is- just the practice of awareness itself. Sitting and being aware of whatever arises. Watching it all. Wouldn't that eventually lead to the same states of samadhi?

Thank you.
Ari

Lucius

It does seem like 'being with what is' is rather different than the 1/2 of clearing the mind of associations/distractions via the act of focusing on the one and the two....

I'm interested in melatonin, too.  A good friend of mine did research with melatonin, he was expecting to encounter the results Rad speaks of but was disappointed with the results.  He, after some guidance, switched his research to DMT and found what he was looking for in terms of a 'physical' natural, ubiquitous substance, i.e., endongenous, for such experiences.  Anyway, I'm interested, too, in what Rad says.

Also, interested, as well in the meditation and evolutionary states.  My impression from Wolf, and in general, is that it is natural - not dependent on e.states or any other condition  i.e., a natural truth, natural law for humans in this realm......assuming that's right...?

Rad

HI Ari,

Quote from: ari moshe on Apr 19, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Rad,

Thank you again for this opportunity. The questions on this post are about the astrological/scientific aspects of practice.

1. In reference to your last post to Jana, do you (or anyone) have any medical/scientific/yogic etc references that would help clarify the phenomena you speak of: "The pineal gland becomes stimulated as breath begins to shallow".

You can read about the nature of the pineal gland in many places. But it is not just the pineal that secrets various physiologic substances when the breath begins to shallow and then suspends itself. The hypothalamus, the pituitary, the entire limbic system deep in the brain, etc all become activated and, in turn and in combination, secret various physiologic substances that correlate to the perception of the 3rd eye.

2. You have said in the "channeling" thread that the visuals of the though complexes of the brain are Neptune, Pluto and Moon- the Soul/God/Identity trinity. How do those archetypes relate to the transcendent states of consciousness that naturally unfold? Is the answer that the soul (Pluto) merges itself with the Truth (Neptune) when the identification with an ego that is separate (moon) is stilled (sustaining of breath). Thus moving the soul's center of gravity from ego to Source- symbolizing the natural, symbiosis of the water trinity.

Yes..............

Likewise, gravity is Saturn- would you say that in order for this practice to be achieved, a soul has to have reached a point in their evolution in which it no longer neglecting to take responsibility for it's own karma? As otherwise, the soul's center of gravity will be in ego- constantly being drawn back into the world of duality in order to resolve certain things...

You need to restate this somehow ........

3. This leads me to the next questions. Is it possible for the sustained suspension of breath, and the consequent unfolding of transcendent states of consciousness, to be achieved by anyone of any evolutionary state? Or only possible at end of first stage spiritual? My hunch, if I'm understanding things correctly, is the latter.

It can occur to any Soul who so desires to return back to it's origin: the Creator. It is 'hard wired' into the brain. It only takes desire to do so.

4. Is this practice more appropriate for some souls more than others (ie specifically those that have a synthesis of the Pisces/Moon/Pluto archetypes?)

It is appropriate for all Souls because it is the way back HOME for all Souls. And the Creator is the origin of that way, just as it is the origin of all Souls.

Rad

Rad

Ari

Quote from: ari moshe on Apr 19, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Rad,

These questions are specifically about the practice itself.

1. I noticed that when I focus on the sau hong (or 1/2) each word lasts as long as the breath (ie I focus on "sau" during the inhale- and "hong" during the exhale). Is the recommendation to do it like that, or to focus on the two words independent of the rhythm of the breath?

It is to focus, concentrate with the will, upon the words themselves. In time this concentration will naturally lead to a shallowing and then suspension of the breath. As that begins the Soul does not even notice the breath anymore as it begins to shallow, and then stop.

2. Why two words instead of one?

Because the two words correlate with the natural law of breathing, inhale and exhale, and the world of duality itself.

3. What is the difference between a meditation practice that is just about "being with What Is" (which is A LOT) and the 1/2 meditation?
To explain: Many spiritual teachers (ie adyashanti) recommend the practice just being with what is. Being with what is- just the practice of awareness itself. Sitting and being aware of whatever arises. Watching it all. Wouldn't that eventually lead to the same states of samadhi?

No, because in such a state the Soull is still breathing, and thus caught up in the world of duality.

Rad