Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Study Tips  (Read 4057 times)
Elen
Most Active Member

« on: Jul 11, 2010, 05:23 AM »

Hi All,

I just wanted to start a thread to elicit people's ideas re: study tips.  I find it difficult to sit down and really digest this material.  It always makes perfect sense when I read it, but keeping it in my memory banks seems to be quite a challenge; it does NOT lend itself, in my experience, to simple things like memorization.  That's ok.  But just wondering how others go about studying the materials.

Thanks a million.

Ellen

PS  I was also thinking that this would be a good thread to have for others who come along down the road.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2010, 06:09 AM by Ellen » Logged
adina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2010, 11:22 AM »

Hi Ellen,

Good question. I think you're experiencing what many of us experienced when we started learning EA, actually. That said, learning the key concepts of the archetypes through JWG's Pluto Books and Deva's EA book, plus watching the EA School Videos is your base. Beyond that it's "simply" practice, practice, practice as the only way to really learn and integrate the archetypes.

I'd also suggest that if you don't have Patricia Walsh's Book (Understanding Karmic Complexes: Evolutionary Astrology and Regression Therapy), that you add that to your EA library. Pat includes extensive lists of key words for each of the archetypes, explains both the left and right-brain approaches to reading a chart, and has an index of the archetypes that outlines their empowered form, along with possible ways the archetype may have been wounded in past lives and/or carried over into this life, tons of example charts and much more. You can read more about it on our main website: http://schoolofevolutionaryastrology.com/school/understanding-karmic-complexes-by-patricia-walsh

And last.... again, practice, practice practice like some of the students are doing in the practice thread.

Hope this helps.

Blessings, Adina
Deva

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2010, 11:37 AM »

Hi Ellen, wanted to give my input on study tips that may be helpful for you. I looked at your natal chart and you have Mercury RX conjunct the SN in Capricorn and Jupiter square the nodal axis so I understand that memorization doesn't work for you. My advice would be to grasp the whole of what is being learned first-not all of the individual facts/details (intuitively work with what you are studying-Jupiter square the nodal axis) and allow all the individual parts/facts naturally come together. For example-if you are studying the archetypes-grasp what the whole archetype is about first-i.e Capricorn is about the structure of consciousness, and then go into the specific correlations of that archetype. Also, because mercury is RX conjunct the SN in your chart I would recommend that you study what topics are most relevant and important to you at any specific time. For example if you are studying a chart with a specific signature that is emphasized focus on studying the individual compenants of that signature.  Another good idea in general is to apply work with whatever you are studying in a specific chart. In other words, if you are studying Pluto aspects-look at a chart of somebody who has a number of Pluto transits and work with the chart in order to apply what is being learned in a practical way. 
Hope this helps, and please let me know if anything I have written is unclear.
God Bless
Deva
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2010, 03:42 PM »

Hi Adina & Deva,

Wonderful tips!  Thank you so much.

Peace,
Ellen
Bradley J
Very Active Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2010, 06:36 PM »

personally, i've been carrying around the pluto book I for a year and a half.
rereading the chapters relative to assignments and clients, over and over.
still feel i have a lot to learn from this book.
6 months ago, talking to someone at the co-op about 12/pisces, i found myself stumbling to communicate the meaning of this archetype relative to EA. 
finally, i am beginning to grasp this. 
personally, i also enjoy watching dvds repeatedly while doing chores or eating and cooking.

blessings on the journey,
bradley

Linda
Most Active Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:22 PM »

Hi Ellen,

I also have Mercury Rx in Capricorn (mine's in the 3rd house), and have found it difficult to memorize the EA material.  It really does take practice...and it's step by step. 

Once something is "understood" it can then be incorporated into your body of knowledge.  There is just so much here with EA, it is so full and deep, that it really is like going on a journey.

It's helpful also to read the MB every day.  Here again, you probably won't remember everything, but in time will understand more and more.  Once you've read something a number of times, and from different perspectives, it will embed in your memory.

I also think it's important not to worry about it - to be courageous enough to be yourself, and to use your own "style".  Just go at your own pace.

It took me quite a while to get the practice charts right, and even now I have a very long way to go, but appreciate Rad's assistance so much.  If there's something that you're not grasping, the more experienced here will surely point it out.  We all learn from your questions.

Thanks.
Linda
Most Active Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:30 PM »

When putting together a practice chart, I read through the relevant chapters in Pluto I and the DVD material - and using a pencil will underline and asterisk information that seems relevant to the karmic signature.  I type up a bunch of notes on each chapter, and then try and merge them all together.

Sometimes in the middle of the night I may suddenly understand how the dynamics work!  I find listening to radio programs extremely helpful too, such as Kristin Fontana and her guests.

Astrology is a massive undertaking that could take a lifetime (or several) to master.  You become an active participant in the practice - your intuition is working alongside the material.
Rad
Most Active Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:52 AM »

Hi Ellen,

Another thing that can be helpful is to do as many charts for 'free' as possible. And, of course, to present yourself as a student who is learning. Thus, you can have a person in front of you in which you see this or that dynamic from an EA point of view and then ask them if they feel it is true or not. This then creates a meaningful interaction between you and them in which, progressively, you can then 'observe and correlate' to actual people. In combination with the other ideas that have been offered here, all relevant, it will help you, over time, to deeply grasp the archetypes of EA.

God Bless, Rad
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2010, 04:16 PM »

Hi Bradley, Linda & Rad,

Thank you so much for your tips and for relating your experiences.  Time, patience, practice, exposure, correlation - one layer at a time.  Then it will eventually embed - organically.

Peace,
Ellen

Linda
Most Active Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2010, 04:40 AM »

I find listening to radio programs extremely helpful too, such as Kristin Fontana and her guests.

Ellen and everyone,

I must not forget to mention Steve Wolfson's site.  I have found Steve's radio interviews to be especially helpful in understanding what this paradigm is all about, in straight-forward, easy to understand, informative language. 

I've been involved in computer work for many years now, and nowadays it's such a relief to be able to listen to an occasional radio program discussing EA or other areas of astrology, without having to read the computer screen which gives me eye strain. 

Thank you Steve, Deva, Rad and everyone here for your time, energy and great assistance!
Upasika
Very Active Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:34 AM »

Hi Ellen,

I find it just the same. And over time I've done most of the things suggested above, some things more than others, and at different times as I felt my way with what worked for me best. And when I've tried them those things have all been helpful.

One of the other things I'm doing is slowly working my way through Pluto Vol I & II, writing out short one or two sentence summaries in my own words of every paragraph for Pluto in each house, and Mars & Venus in each sign. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea or idea of fun, and sometimes it seems a bit laborious, but it's my background "homework" I do for myself when I have a spare day here and there (so sometimes big gaps when no progress is made). But mostly I enjoy it as I love EA, and slowly I'm building up a big folder of the material, all in my own words. And it's great to read over it for strengthening my memory, as it's summarised and being in my own words tends to stick in my brain easier, or for my own reference when I'm reading a chart and needing more info.

... but, in the same way Bradley was describing, I still go blank on a regular basis !
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2010, 06:46 AM by Upasika » Logged
Linda
Most Active Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2010, 03:54 PM »

Upasika,

Several years ago I had also taken short-form notes of Pluto I.  I had to get out of the habit of being fearful of making a mistake or changing the true meaning of his words if I used my own words (perhaps something to do with Saturn in Sag in my case).

Each time I do a Practice Chart I take notes - fresh notes - of a chapter all over again.  Each time, there seems to be NEW dynamics that are uncovered - as well as new understandings - in the context of the new chart.  You are right:  it's important to get that framework or foundation correct in the first place.

Deva said:  My advice would be to grasp the whole of what is being learned first - not all of the individual facts/details (intuitively work with what you are studying - Jupiter square the nodal axis) and allow all the individual parts/facts naturally come together. For example - if you are studying the archetypes - grasp what the whole archetype is about first - i.e. Capricorn is about the structure of consciousness, and then go into the specific correlations of that archetype.

I seem to get so lost in all the details.  Perhaps we could start a new topic in which we could work on understanding the whole of an archetype, instead of all its individual parts?
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:18 PM »

Linda & Upasika,

Thank you!  Wonderful ideas!

Linda,
I like the idea of starting a thread re:understanding the whole archetype.  At the moment I am quite swamped with my personal training studies, so probably could not participate a ton.  But I would certainly make an effort to follow the thread and perhaps share a thought here or there (if I happened to have one!  Cheesy)

Peace,
Ellen
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:24 PM »

It's helpful also to read the MB every day.  Here again, you probably won't remember everything, but in time will understand more and more.  Once you've read something a number of times, and from different perspectives, it will embed in your memory.

Hi Linda,

This one I'm going to try to do more of specifically re: the practice charts thread.  I have been intentionally not reading them because I wanted to jump in when I was ready to participate and just start from scratch, thinking it through on my own.  But clearly I will not be able to participate any time soon.  So I think your advice here is perfect - read along and let absorb in what absorbs in.  Somehow, I had thought of that as cheating.... Starting to see it's not at all; it's just an opportunity to learn at wherever I happen to be...

Peace,
Ellen
Upasika
Very Active Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Hi Linda & Ellen,

I also have Saturn in Sag ! so thats interesting. I was never concerned too much about changing the meaning of the words, as I figured if I couldn't manage to somehow be able to express it in my own words then it'd mean I was just parroting it, and didn't really understand it for myself. But of course making a mistake or changing the meaning can happen, and I guess it was a risk I was willing to take. I suppose I was trusting if I was getting it too wrong I'd get pulled up by someone on the MB at some point, a sort of built in correcting factor. Also by summarising each chunk in that way, it forced me to move out of the details into the essence of what was written.

I have Mercury direct natally, but shortly afterwards it went retrograde by progression and stayed that way most of my life until very recently, so I also found I would be concentrating on parts of the Pluto books that seemed useful and relevant to me whenever I sat down to do my notetaking, it was never a linear, lets work through this one chapter after another kind of thing. Sometimes when I am doing a chart and see something I want to refresh my understanding of I will go to that part of the book to do that, but if I had the time, I'd create notes for that part then and there instead of just reading the book and then getting straight back to interpreting the chart. Bit haphazard but it's been really helpful, gradually things have sunk in more.

And I found the same, sometimes going back to a place in the book I'd been before and rereading it I'd see so much more and understand it deeper.

The idea of an archetypes thread would be great, but I'm also a bit like you Ellen, I don't have much spare time at the moment. I put a burst in on your EA stage as I was keen to see that through to completion, and if I do get any more appreciable spare time my first priority is to get going in the practice charts. But it's a really good idea, I like it.

blessings Upasika

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2010, 06:18 PM by Upasika » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Video