Asteroid Goddesses - the undistorted Natural/Divine Feminine

Started by Linda, Sep 06, 2010, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elen

Quote from: Linda on Sep 08, 2010, 10:11 PM
Sedna 
the return of the Divine Feminine

* Inuit Goddess of the Arctic Deep.
* Her 10,000 year orbit coincides with the rise of the patriarchy and the beginning of agriculture.
* Discovered November 2003.
* She is a new world goddess rather than old world.
* Named after the Inuit goddess who lives at the bottom of the Arctic ocean.
* Planetoid;  red coloured;  3/4 the size of Pluto;  10,500+ year orbit.
* She cycles through the "inner Oort cloud."
* We are ready to incorporate her archetypal meaning into our evolutionary unfoldment.

"The last time Sedna was this close to the Sun, Earth was just coming
out of the last Ice Age.  The next time it comes back, the
world might again be a completely different place."

[Michael Brown, one of Sedna's discoverers]

The Myth - sacrifice, betrayal, abandonment, redemption

Briefly, one version of the myth tells of a beautiful young woman Sedna who marries a seabird disguised as a handsome young man.  She suffers betrayal in the unhappy marriage.  Her father rescues her and they set off in a boat.  A raging storm blows up, and to calm the sea, her father throws her overboard.  Clinging tightly to the side of the boat, her father chops off her fingers one by one.  As her fingers falls into the water they turn into whales, seals and sea-lions.  When all her fingers are gone, she sinks to the bottom of the sea to become the Immortal Sea Goddess.  As the Mother of all Sea Creatures, she presides over all fish hunted for food.  If not respected, she sends starvation to punish the humans.  Shamans must descend into the deep, past the abyss of the dead, to soothe her, in order that the food supply continues.  When she is treated with respect, she releases her bounty.

Sedna's message

* Affects cycles of growth on the Earth.
* Deals with the cyclical relationship between humanity and Earth's bounty (or withholding of her gifts).
* Teaches respect for the oceans, the biological origin of life on Earth.
* Sends a harsh warning as our oceans become polluted.
* Re-focuses on the rights of women, children, and the environment.
* Brings balance between the sexes, races, and species.
* Deals with vast millenia, and a new level of cosmic understanding.

Since Sedna is so "new," perhaps we can formulate some deeper meanings in line with Natural Law that can be attributed to her? 
Sedna presently sits at 22.35 deg Rx Taurus.

Hi Linda,All,

One thought I had about Sedna, thinking about Linda's question of possibly finding deeper meanings, was the possibility of the natural ability to see a person for who they are, rather than being caught up with superficial appearances.  Birds are a symbol for spirit, yes?  Sedna, in the myth, was fooled by a disguise of a handsome young man.    All the water imagery in the myth to me suggests emotional attunement as the means to perceiving this deeper reality of another - in other words, tuning into one's feelings/emotional responses to know what is true about another, or at least to begin asking oneself questions that need to be asked. Sedna having been discovered in Taurus suggests to me emotional attunement as a path of/to self-sufficiency.  (I have natal Moon in Taurus, so perhaps I am projecting. But perhaps it allows me to see a possibility, also...)

Peace,
Ellen

Rad

Hi Ellen,

Thank you so much for your answers.  I have just one follow-up, if you have time.  In the above quote, you say that it "was" the norm and the reasons why.  I understand that it is not the norm now (at least the stated norm or the ideal), but wouldn't it still hold true re: the immunological reasons for it still, ideally speaking (ie, in terms of natural law) to STILL be the norm today (ie, non-monogamy).  It is quite striking to me the # of auto-immune dieseases now and just the level that the human species seems to be susceptible to disease generally...

Yes it is still the 'norm' today despite all the patriarchal conditioning to the contrary. Which of course is the actual reason that so many in relationships, or marriages, end up becoming involved with another(s) even as they try to sustain their existing relationship/marriage. It's why roughly 50 percent or more who become married end up divorced. I remember reading a study too by a evolutionary biologist that stated that a women becomes most 'tempted' to be with another man just before and during her peak period of fertility every month. This 'temptation' does indeed reflect the natural law and biological imperative relative to the evolving immune system, and the continuing need for diversification of the gene pool in the human species.

God Bless, Rad

Linda

Hi everyone,

Well, I've had an exciting morning!  I wrote to Michael Brown, one of the discoverers of Sedna, requesting the exact time of discovery.

The computer at NASA/Caltech records the discovery of Sedna on 14th November 2003 at 6.32 [UT].  But in Mike's own words:

"Linda -- You're right. Sort of. That's the time the pictures were taken by the robotic computer, but I didn't look at them until the next morning. Not sure of the exact time, though! Mike"

Rad, since Sedna's discovery is so important, do you think the 6.32 [UT] time is good enough to use - or would you actually take the date forward to the morning of 15th November 2003, even though Mike is not sure of the exact time?

Sedna's discovery chart for 14th Nov 2003 is attached, with some amazing patterns:

* 2 Grand Trines forming the rare "Star of David" pattern.

* Water Grand Trine:  Moon/Cancer, Sun/SN/Scorpio, Mars/Pisces.  (Pointing downward reflects the feminine principle.)

* Earth Grand Trine:  Sedna/Taurus, Jupiter/Virgo, Chiron/Capricorn.  (Pointing upward reflects the masculine principle.)

* Sedna in the sign Taurus, Ruler Venus/Sag, the sign correlating to Natural Law.

* Sedna conjunct NN Taurus.

* Sedna elevated in the 10th house.

What can this chart tell us about the use of Earth's resources, past and present?

Elen

Quote from: Rad on Sep 09, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Ellen,

Yes it is still the 'norm' today despite all the patriarchal conditioning to the contrary. Which of course is the actual reason that so many in relationships, or marriages, end up becoming involved with another(s) even as they try to sustain their existing relationship/marriage. It's why roughly 50 percent or more who become married end up divorced. I remember reading a study too by a evolutionary biologist that stated that a women becomes most 'tempted' to be with another man just before and during her peak period of fertility every month. This 'temptation' does indeed reflect the natural law and biological imperative relative to the evolving immune system, and the continuing need for diversification of the gene pool in the human species.

God Bless, Rad

Hi Rad,

Thank you so much.  Just hearing this and knowing this, especially about the women's mentrual cycle and their corresponding "temptation" is amazingly helpful and changing the patriarchal conditioning.  All that jealousy and anger and basic relationship mess all for now reason.  Pretty astounding.  I truly appreciate this teaching.

Peace,
Ellen

Elen

Quote from: Linda on Sep 09, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, I've had an exciting morning!  I wrote to Michael Brown, one of the discoverers of Sedna, requesting the exact time of discovery.

The computer at NASA/Caltech records the discovery of Sedna on 14th November 2003 at 6.32 [UT].  But in Mike's own words:

"Linda -- You're right. Sort of. That's the time the pictures were taken by the robotic computer, but I didn't look at them until the next morning. Not sure of the exact time, though! Mike"

Rad, since Sedna's discovery is so important, do you think the 6.32 [UT] time is good enough to use - or would you actually take the date forward to the morning of 15th November 2003, even though Mike is not sure of the exact time?

Sedna's discovery chart for 14th Nov 2003 is attached, with some amazing patterns:

* 2 Grand Trines forming the rare "Star of David" pattern.

* Water Grand Trine:  Moon/Cancer, Sun/SN/Scorpio, Mars/Pisces.  (Pointing downward reflects the feminine principle.)

* Earth Grand Trine:  Sedna/Taurus, Jupiter/Virgo, Chiron/Capricorn.  (Pointing upward reflects the masculine principle.)

* Sedna in the sign Taurus, Ruler Venus/Sag, the sign correlating to Natural Law.

* Sedna conjunct NN Taurus.

* Sedna elevated in the 10th house.

What can this chart tell us about the use of Earth's resources, past and present?

Linda,

You're AMAZING! Thank you for all of your incredible work and reasearch and for keeping these threads going.  I'm truly astounded and tremendously humbled by your work.

Peace,
Ellen

Linda

Thank you Ellen!

I love everything you do too!

I love what I see in the Sedna chart - that beautiful Star of David!

Elen

Quote from: Linda on Sep 09, 2010, 06:55 PM

I love what I see in the Sedna chart - that beautiful Star of David!

Yes, that is beautiful.  That suggests a total synthesis doesn't it?  I know JWG talked about it somewhere (the Star of David) but can't quite recall where or just what he said....

And as I was just looking at it, it looks like there's a mystic rectangle also, along with a kite formation (if you include the mc).  Amazing.

Mystic Rectangle: Saturn(Cancer)/Mars(Pisces)/Chiron (Cap)/Jupiter (Virgo) (water/earth)

Kite has Saturn at apex (cancer) opposed by chiron (cap).

The mystic rectangle makes me think of gender role confusion (I remember JWG talking about Mars in Pisces being confusing for a male, for example).  With Chiron's involvement there's the suggestion of healing.  Jupiter in Virgo's involvement to me suggests the righting of these social mores to allow a freer and more natural flow of gender expression. Anyone want to tackle Saturn in Cancer?

The Kite, in a similar vein, with Cap/Can, makes me think of gender switching.

Would either of these themes - gender roles and gender switching - be appropriate for Sedna?

Am curious as to Rad's response as to whether this would be the appropriate chart to use.

Ellen

Oh, PS - and thank you for your kind words!

BrendaP

Thanks Linda for the great research--and posting that chart.

Reading over the myth, I started jotting down notes as to my impressions. Some may be a reach. Am thinking perhaps that Saturn in Cancer opposing Chiron in Capricorn represents Sedna's total abandonment from the men in her life. This in relationship to the fact that she makes a choice of her own (implying that she may have rejected her father's choice). In a patriarchal culture, leaving the tribe on your own, could make you an outcast. Then both the man she chooses and her father abuse, betray, and abandon her--the punishment for her move to individuating from her family and tribe with the "birdman"--a different species even.

Thinking examples would include women as property, possibly arranged marriages, women who are mutilated (as a practice in certain cultures), to the "honor killings" of women in certain Middle East cultures, even the practice of covering a woman in a burka. An odd association came up with the movie "Boxing Helena"--a bit different, in that a man so wants to possess a certain woman that does not want him that he ends up capturing her and dismembering her (it was more black humor than graphically violent).

Her individuation comes about from crisis and trauma--she loses vital parts of herself--she is forced to let go of everything, she must completely die to her old way of being. These vital parts--hands, fingers then become her creations--which provides a tangible, physical sustenance for herself and others. A means to heal from the soul loss of trauma would be in the alchemical transmutation of the "lost parts," which she does.

She herself could do Shamanistic work of recovering soul loss, stripping away the masks.

Ellen you so beautifully wrote about the emotional self-sufficiency, I think, not only emotional, but she becomes self sufficient in a tangible, physical way as well. She no longer has to look outside of herself for anything, she has all the procreative, regenerative, self healing capabilities within.

Perhaps the 2 triangles in the chart reflect the integration of yin and yang, which might also speak of her ultimate integration.

At the Spiritual level, she would no longer need to engage in the outer world, more at home with non human life forms?

Thanks

Elen

Quote from: BrendaP on Sep 09, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks Linda for the great research--and posting that chart.

Reading over the myth, I started jotting down notes as to my impressions. Some may be a reach. Am thinking perhaps that Saturn in Cancer opposing Chiron in Capricorn represents Sedna's total abandonment from the men in her life. This in relationship to the fact that she makes a choice of her own (implying that she may have rejected her father's choice). In a patriarchal culture, leaving the tribe on your own, could make you an outcast. Then both the man she chooses and her father abuse, betray, and abandon her--the punishment for her move to individuating from her family and tribe with the "birdman"--a different species even.

Thinking examples would include women as property, possibly arranged marriages, women who are mutilated (as a practice in certain cultures), to the "honor killings" of women in certain Middle East cultures, even the practice of covering a woman in a burka. An odd association came up with the movie "Boxing Helena"--a bit different, in that a man so wants to possess a certain woman that does not want him that he ends up capturing her and dismembering her (it was more black humor than graphically violent).

Her individuation comes about from crisis and trauma--she loses vital parts of herself--she is forced to let go of everything, she must completely die to her old way of being. These vital parts--hands, fingers then become her creations--which provides a tangible, physical sustenance for herself and others. A means to heal from the soul loss of trauma would be in the alchemical transmutation of the "lost parts," which she does.

She herself could do Shamanistic work of recovering soul loss, stripping away the masks.

Ellen you so beautifully wrote about the emotional self-sufficiency, I think, not only emotional, but she becomes self sufficient in a tangible, physical way as well. She no longer has to look outside of herself for anything, she has all the procreative, regenerative, self healing capabilities within.

Perhaps the 2 triangles in the chart reflect the integration of yin and yang, which might also speak of her ultimate integration.

At the Spiritual level, she would no longer need to engage in the outer world, more at home with non human life forms?

Thanks

Wonderful, Brenda... This all makes total sense to me...

Peace,
Ellen

Rad

Hi Linda et-al,

I certainly share in the insights that Brenda has shared. Linda: I would go with the actual moment of sighting/ observation by the computer. So the chart you posted would be the one I would use. It's discovery is so reminiscent of the sighting/ discovery of Pluto in that Pluto was first seen when it was conjunct it's own N.Node in Cancer in 1933. In this chart we have Sedna discovered when it was conjunct the N.Node in Taurus. At that time it's own South Node was at 24 Aquarius in the 7th which is then conjunct Uranus at 28 Aquarius at the time of discovery. The N.Node of Sedna is then at 25 Leo in the 1st House. Both of these Nodes are then square the transiting S.Node of the Moon in Scorpio in the 4th, which is also conjunct the Scorpio Sun, and, of course these are opposed Sedna itself, and the Lunar N.Node in Taurus in the 10th.  Both the Sun and the S.Node of the Moon in this chart then refers back to the ruler of Pluto in Sagittarius in the 5th, which is conjunct natal Venus, and both are conjunct the S.Node of Uranus. All three of these are then inconjunct the Lunar N.Node and Sedna itself in the 10th. Additionally, the natal Neptune in this chart is conjunct it's own S.Node, both of course in Aquarius in this chart's 6th House. When all of this is then fleshed in by Jupiter in Virgo, the ruler of the Pluto,Venus, and S.Node in Aquarius, in the 2nd and opposed by Mars in Pisces in the 8th, which then refers back to the ruler of Neptune, conjunct it's own S.Node in the 6th House, which then contains the Chiron in Capricorn which is opposed the Saturn in Cancer in the 12th, IT CERTAINLY SYMBOLIZES THE ENTIRE MYTH OF SEDNA ITSELF.

Within the context of the myth it all about how the natural feminine has been totally violated and destroyed by the perversion of Natural Law at the hands of men, the patriarchy. And, of course, the entire need, teaching, message for not only women to return back to their natural natures, but to rebel as fiercely as necessary against all the male dominated conditioning patterns as to what women are 'expected' to be as defined by unnatural men. And then to use themselves, each women, one at a time, to teach not only these unnatural men about what is natural and what is not, but also other women who continue to accept these patriarchal definitions of what a women is, and is not. The entire message of this natal Sedna chart is to utterly rebel against all that is unnatural. To throw it off, to oppose it. This entire chart is about how women has been used as men's scapegoats, of how they have been defined through the patriarchal distorted centuries as something dark, evil, the 'temptation' to man's spiritual downfall.

With Sedna itself in Taurus, conjunct the lunar N.Node in the 10th, and these then being ruled by the Venus, Pluto, S.Node of Uranus conjunctions in the 5th, this is all about women relearning how to be utterly self sustaining within themselves, of renewing, rediscovering, their natural inner relationships as defined by the principle and natural law of femininity, the natural feminine archetype, and fully actualizing themselves in this way. It is about rediscovering the power of their natural sexuality, and of recreating reality in general as defined by Natural Laws and principles. This would include educating men as to what natural masculinity is, and is not. Thus, or rediscovering and actualizing the natural roles between natural women, and natural men.

On a planetary level it is about the survival of the species itself: Sedna in Taurus conjunct the lunar N.Node in Taurus in the 10th, and these being square Sedna's own S and N Nodes in Aquarius and Leo. Sedna and the lunar Node are also inconjunct Pluto, Venus, and the S.Node of Uranus in the 5th, and these are ruled, again by Jupiter in Virgo in the 2nd which is opposed Mars in Pisces in the 8th, ruled by that Neptune in Aquarius in the 6th, conjunct it's own S.Node. In essence, if the patriarchal distortion to reality continues, the violations to natural laws as a result, then this would suggest and symbolize, to me, the extinction of the human species down the line. We can see in this chart that the core violation to Natural Laws that would equal that possibility being the violation of the Natural Law of giving, sharing, and inclusion, versus the patriarchal perversion which became self interest and exclusion.

There is so much more in this chart, but let's here from others about their own thoughts. And, by the way, found a neat website about Sedna. It is at:

http://www.lunarplanner.com/asteroids-dwarfplanets/Sedna.html

God Bless, Rad

BrendaP

Hi Rad, Linda, Ellen, et al,

Rad that is a great website, thanks for finding and sharing. Thank you for your wisdom, guidance and teachings. Coming from a patriarchal education system, I had no educational frame of reference of any of this. So the teachings of EA, especially your clarification of things above, are so helpful, so necessary, so healing. Most people have no frame of reference of role models according to natural law, and continue to repeat such distortions. Living in America right now, is like living in the twighlight zone.

The dialogue and discussions here, whether I interject or not, have been so helpful to me personally, getting to challenging dogma, and even asking questions within that I would not have thought to ask or question.

Reading what you wrote Rad above, and then viewing the crazy women of the American Tea Party--who embody and perpetuate the patriarchal distortion of the feminine, and who are given so much media time, it is shocking and so depressing. There are other patriarchal cultures in the Middle East and South America where women have ascended to true power positions in ways that are more honest and  integrated.

Anyway, thank you Linda, Ellen, et all for your insights, opening the door to this dialogue, teachings--what you write and express, stimulates much.

God Bless you all, and JWG

Kristin

HI all,

and Brenda..I could not agree with you more.

This is an incredible thread ..thanks to everyone who is doing their part to educate others on the natural feminine. It is time she is healed and returned to her natural state, one Goddess at a time.

The INJUSTICE linked with the feminine and extreme imbalance for lifetimes is shown with Pluto/Venus BALSALMIC in Sagittarius,lifetimes long, of her essence being destroyed and this now being a time of culmination and healing. Pluto also rules the South node in Scorpio which restates this theme and the Sun in Scorpio on the South node. The woman destroyed but back for redemption.

The KITE pattern in the Sedna discovery chart is so powerful and revealing in its message to RISE above where we have been, to fly high above the ashes, to be free of the conditioning patterns and the wounds that have injured so many.This destruction reflected in the tail of the kite, Chiron in Cap in the 6th.

The highest point in the kite, the tip of the kite shows Moon conjunct Saturn in CANCER in the 12th house. They are joined by the asteroid Ceres which reflects RECOVERING SOMETHING LOST FROM THE PAST.. ie recovering the natural feminine. It is about setting the record straight with the N Node of Jupiter also conjunct that Moon/Saturn in the 12th, cleaning up and purifying the corruption and destruction. New rules being written, RULES reflecting NATURAL LAW, rules of of the matriarchy,Saturn in Cancer. This cardinal signature also restated with Moon and Saturn along with the fact they are in Cancer suggests we have to go back and remember our matriarchal roots where everything was in a state of balance in order to then move forward, to restore the natural balance between genders-reflected in the Cancer/Capricorn axis.

The asteroid Amazon, naturally ruled by Mars and Pluto, conjuncts Saturn and the Moon turbo charging the tip of the kite. She is known to be the greatest female warrior. She takes the lead and drives this movement forward. She says "FOLLOW ME" .
The Amazon has been known to single handedly destroy armies of men in order to defend her people and their rights. In this case she represents fighting for the female race in her attempt to restore the natural balance, specifically restoring the divine right and power of the natural feminine.

Her energy is reflected in Rad's quote below.

Rad said

Quotethe entire need, teaching, message for not only women to return back to their natural natures, but to rebel as fiercely as necessary against all the male dominated conditioning patterns as to what women are 'expected' to be as defined by unnatural men. And then to use themselves, each women, one at a time, to teach not only these unnatural men about what is natural and what is not, but also other women who continue to accept these patriarchal definitions of what a women is, and is not.

"to rebel as fiercely as necessary"..sign me up..

Goddess Bless,
Kristin

Linda

Ceres
the Great Mother, ancient Roman goddess of agriculture and fertility

* Discovered on 1 January 1801 by astronomer Giuseppe Piazzi, Sicily, Italy.
* Largest of the asteroids - now classed a "dwarf planet."
* Nestled between Mars and Jupiter.
* Circles the Sun every 4.6 years.
* Also known as Greek goddess Demeter and Egyptian goddess Isis.
* Presides over the fertility of the Earth and procreation.
* Represents the principle of unconditional love.
* Nourishing, nurturing, providing, productive, sharing, sustaining.
* Associated with Cancer, Virgo and Taurus.

Myth

Demeter's dearly loved daughter Persephone gets abducted by the lord of the underworld.  In her grief, she neglects the earth, all the crops die, and famine spreads over the world.  When mother and daughter are rejoined, plants grow again. 

Painful experiences and distortions

* Fragmented family structures
* Separation of children from parents
* Mother complexes
* Mother's grief and fears about children
* Teenage drug abuse and crime
* Teenage pregnancies
* Child molestation
* Plight of elderly parents
* Eating disorders
* Compulsive dieting
* Attachment, dependency
* Loss, separation, grief
* Contamination of Earth's soil, water and atmosphere
* Destruction of forests
* Starvation and famine

Ceres' cure

* Need to nurture and be nurtured
* Unconditional love
* Self-worth and self-esteem
* Protection and guidance of children
* Parental obligations
* Preservation of Earth's natural resources
* Work and productivity
* Sharing of food and resources

Ceres' connection to Cancer involves women's issues, family bonds, and emotional states.  Ceres as a possible ruler of Virgo and Taurus, is an archetype of environment activism and social awareness of our responsibility to sustain the Earth's resources, the need for work, productivity, and the sharing of food and resources generously.  We can clearly see how the patriarchal distortions have fragmented the natural family structures, and have lead to the abuse, greed and grasping of the Earth's resources.  Within Natural Law family structures are based on sharing of food and nourishment, and protection of children.

Linda

Ceres is presently at 24 deg Sagittarius, and will enter Capricorn on 8th October 2010.

Ceres conjuncts Pluto in Capricorn on 19th October 2010.

Rad

Hi Linda et-al,

Thought it may be useful to post the archetype/ story of the Ceres/Demeter myth as found on that website about the goddess myths that I posted earlier. So here it is. God Bless,      Rad

***************************************************************************                                         

Demeter, Greek Goddess of the Bountiful Harvest
                                                 Goddess of the Bountiful Harvest
                                                       and the Nurturing Spirit

In Greek mythology the goddess Demeter was the most generous of the great Olympian goddesses.  The Greek goddess Demeter was beloved for her service to mankind in giving them the gift of the harvest, the reward for cultivation of the soil.

Also known as the Roman goddess Ceres, Demeter was the goddess of the harvest and was credited with teaching humans how to grow, preserve, and prepare grain. Demeter  was thought to be responsible for the fertility of the land.

She was the only one of the Greek goddesses who was involved on a day-to-day basis in the lives of the common folk.  While others occasionally "dabbled" in human affairs when it suited their personal interests, or came to the aid of "special" mortals they favored, the goddess Demeter was truly the nurturer of mankind.

Demeter also was the only one of the Greek goddesses who could truly empathize with the human experience of suffering and grief, having experienced it fully herself.

The goddess Demeter is best known for her fierce defense of her daughter, Persephone, who was also known as the child, Kore (or Cora).  Persephone's father was Zeus, the mighty ruler of the Olympians. The goddess Demeter had been one of his early consorts, long before his marriage to Hera.

Persephone was an obedient, cheerful girl who had a happy childhood, playing with her cousins, Artemis and Athena.  Reaching adolescence, she was carefree and spirited, often dancing playfully and picking wildflowers in the meadow near her home. 

Persephone's youthful beauty drew the attention of Hades, the god of the underworld, and he could not help falling in love with her.  One day as Persephone reached over to pick a flower, the earth opened and the arm of Hades reached up from the underworld.

And so Hades abducted her, dragging her back to his kingdom.

Hearing Persephone's screams, the goddess Demeter rushes to the meadow, but cannot find Persephone.  Carrying a torch, Demeter traveled the world day and night, never eating or resting, searching futilely for her daughter.

Poseidon, god of the sea, noticed the goddess Demeter as she traveled and pursued her with amorous intent.  Then Demeter tried to fool him by changing herself into a mare and hiding herself in the middle of a herd of horses, but he was not fooled.  Poseidon saw through Demeter's disguise, turned himself into a stallion, and took her at his will.

When Demeter continued her journey in search of her daughter, she met an old and poor man who was gathering firewood who invited her to return to his home to eat supper with his family and to rest on her journey. When she told him that she was searching for her daughter, he wished her success and told her that he understood her suffering since his son lay dying at home. Demeter, goddess of compasion,   changed her mind and went with the kindly man, stopping only once to gather some poppies by the path.  Entering his humble home, Demeter went straight away to the boy's bedside and kissed the boy lovingly on the cheek.  Immediately the pallor left his face and his breathing eased, as Demeter's love had restored the son to full health.

Although it was the custom of the Greek goddesses and gods to become very vindictive toward anyone who failed to honor them in a dignified fashion, Demeter was such a kind goddess that she seldom utilized this privilege.  One of the few times was when she stopped on her travels to quench her thirst by drinking from a spring and heard a man named Ascaelabus laughing at the sound of her gulping the fresh water. Embarrassed, and angry at the man for being so rude, Demeter turned him into a lizard.

Resuming her search, she soon encountered Hecate, goddess of the crossroads, who advised her to speak with Helio, goddess of the sun  . . . reasoning that, since she had been riding her chariot (the sun) through the sky that day, she had surely seen what had happened to Persephone. Helio told the goddess Demeter what she had seen and that Persephone was now ensconced as Hades' wife and Queen of the Underworld.  She also gave her the shocking news that Zeus himself had sanctioned the marriage, giving Hades permission to abduct Persephone.

Understandably, the goddess Demeter felt betrayed.   Renouncing her divine duties that included bringing fertility to the land, Demeter left Mount Olympus swearing that the earth would remain barren until her daughter was returned to her.  She took refuge in the city of Eleusis. Disguised as an old woman, the goddess Demeter was met the city rulers two young daughters at the well, and they, liking her immensely, invited her to return to their home to meet their mother.  There she met their mother who was cuddling her infant son.  This must have stirred Demeter's longing for her abducted daughter horribly. Demeter became profoundly depressed, almost catatonic, eyes gazing off into the distance and unwilling or unable to even speak.

Everyone tried to all that they knew to cheer their guest; but it was to no avail. Eventually one of the household servants, a middle-aged maid named Baubo, came and sat in front of Demeter and started talking, mostly making humorous comments (most likely of the "male-bashing" sort), some of them quite risque. Encouraged when she saw the beginnings of a smile forming on Demeter's grief stricken face, Baubo hiked up her skirt and "mooned" the goddess. Demeter responded with a deep belly laugh that brought her out of the deep depression.  Her good nature now restored, Demeter was soon hired to work as a nursemaid to the infant son of the city's ruler.

Caring for him lovingly, feeding him on the nectar and ambrosia of the gods, Demeter grew very attached to the young Demophoon and decided to make him immortal.  But, just as Demeter was holding his feet over the fire (the ritual which would transform him into an Olympian god, Demophoon's mother entered the room.

Mistakenly believing that Demeter was about to burn her son, she began to scream.   The goddess Demeter then dropped her disguise, revealing the beautiful goddess that she truly was, and berated the mother for her stupidity in stopping the ritual that would have given her son immortality.

In addition, Demeter demanded that a temple be built in her honor.  This was done, and the goddess Demeter remained there, sitting alone in the darkness, once again depressed and grieving for her lost daughter.

All this time, with the goddess Demeter refusing to function, the land grew barren and the harvests ceased . . . the earth saw a winter that did not end.  Zeus finally opens his eyes to what was happening and sent messengers to apologize and coax the goddess Demeter to return.

Demeter, however, remained adamant that she would not return until Persephone was rescued.  Finally, Zeus gave in and sent Hermes to command Hades to release Persephone.

Persephone, upon hearing the news, rejoiced for she had missed her mother sorely.  As she was leaving, Hades offered her a pomegranate to eat. Persephone had refused all food while she had been in the underworld, and was surely hungry.

Although she undoubtedly knew that those who ate anything in the underworld were not allowed to return to the earth, Persephone accepted Hades' gift, eating only the seeds.  Hermes borrowed Hades chariot and stallions and flew Persephone home to her mother as Zeus had ordered.

Demeter was not pleased that Persephone had eaten the pomegranate seeds and would have to return to the underworld for four months during each year, but was otherwise overjoyed to be reunited with her daughter.

Happily, Demeter resumed her divine duties and restored the fertility of the earth.  Each year the goddess Demeter longs for her absent daughter and withdraws her favors from the earth for a period we know as winter, but Persephone returns each spring to end her desolation.

Once Persephone was safely returned, albeit for only a third of a year, the Greek goddess Demeter decided to reside in her temple in Eleusis where she had enjoyed the welcome and support of her friends during her long search for Persephone.

There she developed the Eleusian mysteries, a series of profound religious ceremonies that taught her initiates how to live joyfully and how to die without fear.

The story of Greek goddess Demeter illustrates the tremendous capacity of a woman to love and nurture, within her own family and the world at large. 

It also reminds us to stand firm for what is good and right, even in the face of adversity, when powerful forces are aligned against us.

The goddess Demeter's message also reminds us of the seasons of a woman's life, that even though there are times of great sorrow there is also great joy to be found.