Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Second stage spiritual thoughts from a friend  (Read 1263 times)
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:33 AM »

Hi all,
I read this on my friends facebook wall today. I found this very relevant to the second stage/third stage differentiation.

"This may be helpful for you to consider.
Awakening is a process that roughly plays out like this:

1. The door opens. "Wow. Nothing is what I thought it was, including me."

2. Beliefs fall away in various degrees. Suffering may intensify. Sense of dying and losing the world may occur.  Body may go through dramatic changes via illness and loss of old patterns.

3. The emptiness envelopes and the sense of meaninglessness may increase, along with fear, terror, anxiety and/or indifference. Solipsism may arise, "I am the center around which all the meaninglessness happens." One may stay here for quite some time, mistaking detachment and disassociation for "enlightenment". It is from this place, "enlightened egos" are born.

Enlightened egos can be tough to spot because they look and speak so convincingly.  Here are some ways to watch for them:  they offer a "solution" instead of an ear, they parrot a single premise in order to create a consistent place, they speak largely about freedom, they view suffering as attachment, they offer a "solution" instead of an ear, they talk rather than wait for and ask questions, and they assume having "arrived"...oh, and they offer a "solution" rather than an ear.

Enlightened egos are a perfect part of the play of Consciousness.  As Papaji said so well, "There are many false gurus because there are many false seekers."

4. If the emptiness does not swallow the heart, the Form fills in the Formless, and Love emerges. It sees Itself everywhere and expresses compassion.  Fear of survival disappears in that "The Birds do not worry about how they will be fed," way.

5. The drama, or story, becomes a tool for communication, however, there is no belief in it. It responds appropriately to each situation, can meet people right where they are, and has no secret agenda to "enlighten".  This is where the sense of "God's will" and "I don't know" increases. 

6. The process of unfolding doesn't end, however, the sense of being that which isn't in process is paradoxically known and the play of the life becomes graceful and effortless, even if there is apparent suffering and struggle.

There is a dialogue between Adyashanti and Loch Kelly you may be able to find on uTube. There is a section in it where Loch talks about experiencing raw terror in a coffee shop. It is a really useful piece of data.

Per emotions:  "Gotta feel it to heal it."

This may be why the emptiness is one of the first places visited after awakening. It provides a baseline of open spaciousness to endure the transformation of the heart."
Steve
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2011, 04:17 PM »

Hi Ari
Enlightened egos can be tough to spot because they look and speak so convincingly.  Here are some ways to watch for them:  they offer a "solution" instead of an ear, they parrot a single premise in order to create a consistent place, they speak largely about freedom, they view suffering as attachment, they offer a "solution" instead of an ear, they talk rather than wait for and ask questions, and they assume having "arrived"...oh, and they offer a "solution" rather than an ear.

I spent ten years in a community founded by someone I'd now call second stage spiritual (I didn't know of such terms at the time).  What you wrote above doesn't fit what I experienced.  I'm not saying you are incorrect.  What you are suggesting may well be one way 2nd stage spiritual can manifest, but from personal experience I can let you know it can manifest in other ways also.

I did not experience so much a single premise. I experienced a combination of truth (very much so truth) intermixed with b.s., the whole package presented as truth.  The hook for us young folks was there was clearly much truth in parts of what was presented.  So if those parts were true, other parts that seemed more questionable, they must be true also, because how could someone who knows all of that true stuff be doing other things that seem so off base.  So maybe they aren't off base.  But in fact they were.  Even that however doesn't negate the parts that were true. 

Everything has to be put in perspective. That is the Virgo element, the need to learn to discriminate what is true from what is false, and to learn to trust one's own perceptions, no matter how unpopular they may be within the context of your sub-group.
Steve

Sunyata

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:29 PM »

This may be why the emptiness is one of the first places visited after awakening. It provides a baseline of open spaciousness to endure the transformation of the heart."

This is a wonderful visual of an aspect of emptiness.
Gonzalo
Very Active Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:15 PM »

Hi Ari

I wanted to share my thoughts about what you posted, sp. the first part ... :

Awakening is a process that roughly plays out like this:

1. The door opens. "Wow. Nothing is what I thought it was, including me."

2. Beliefs fall away in various degrees. Suffering may intensify. Sense of dying and losing the world may occur.  Body may go through dramatic changes via illness and loss of old patterns.

3. The emptiness envelopes and the sense of meaninglessness may increase, along with fear, terror, anxiety and/or indifference. Solipsism may arise, "I am the center around which all the meaninglessness happens." One may stay here for quite some time, mistaking detachment and disassociation for "enlightenment".

It is from this place, "enlightened egos" are born

To me, the above seems a quite accurate possible experience in relation to how the 1st stage spiritual condition can manifest, at the point where the Soul is preparing for direct spiritual experience, ie. experience of union with the Divine. In this patriarchally conditioned times, it is hard for the Soul to endure being at this stage, because of how patriarchy has distorted the natural life of the emotions. This distortion of the natural life of the emotions has produced weak egos, ie. egos which are weak because the Soul has not been nurtured as it needs, and thus, the Soul, and the egos they create, are deeply permeated by a fundamental insecurity. No Soul or ego can feel safe within themselves if they have not experienced natural nurturing and caring, allowing to correctly identify themselves. This fundamental insecurity has created-to one degree or another-, the desire to be powerful, or strong in some way. I assume such types of desires have been created in Souls because of patriarchal conditioning, because, if the Soul had been naturally nurtured and cared for, why should these desires to have power exist?

This desires, in turn, has conditioned the misidentification of the Soul or the ego: thus, the Soul believing or thinking or feeling it is something which it is not, or which is only a small part of what it really is. These weak egos, no matter how strong they can feel, reach this point where they begin to know that they are not what they thought, and that life itself is so much larger than all they have known before. Here the Virgo purging desires begin to operate, in order to purify the prior identity associations, and the desire nature. The purging is necessary because the Soul is preparing to re-identify and re-experience itself in a new way. However, the weak egos are still hungry, so to speak, because the Souls have not been naturally nurtured and cared for, this being the causal factor for the weakness of the egos in first place-or its deluded sense of strength (which blossomed in the 3rd stage individuated condition). Thus, the Soul, while in process of purging and emptying itself from its prior associations and desires, begins to intensely desire the experience of union with the Divine, where it will find the Source of inner security it has lacked for so long (understanding this has been conditioned by the patriarchal ways of emotional relation to itself and others). The intensity of this desire to unite with the Divine is the origin of the ‘hunger’, anxiety, and greed or avidity. At the same time, this desire is not totally pure: it is still mixed or contaminated with the preexisting desire to have power or to be strong, its egocentric will and desires, etc. This is the reason why the Soul is purging, and will continue to purge until its desire nature becomes very pure: just the remaining desire to unite with the Divine, or the Source. At this point in the evolutionary journey, such purity has not been achieved. Such purity can only be achieved progressively, little by little. However, the Soul, despite its impurity, can have a experience of such union with the Divine, and at some point this experience will necessarily begin to manifest. When this occurs, and because this experience is so fulfilling, and so nurturing, the Soul will want ‘more’, and this desire for 'more' will be conditioned by the avity, or hunger (or thirst). Because of this, the Soul can now be presented to, or come to face with, something which shows itself as the Divine, but in reality is not the Divine. Instead, it is a projection of the Soul's own desire nature, including separating desires. And this can present itself as being the Divine, and the Soul will be invited to unite with this, to enter in this spiritually deluded experience of wholeness. The need is to discriminate (Virgo) between God and evil, in that which is being presented to the Soul as Divine. In some cases this can be quite difficult, and it may be easier to discriminate between the nature of the Souls desires and the different emotional states and emotional attitudes with are being combined within, in face of this ‘temptation’, a temptation which may also include a ‘temptation of not being tempted’. If the Soul, because of its separating desires, accepts to unite with this projected wholeness or mix of inner states and desires, it will gain a deluded sense of power, where its separating desires are indiscernible from the true Divine. Thus, the Soul will experience itself as Divine, including the Soul’s own separating desires, becoming spiritually ‘intoxicated’ with its own separating desires. This experience can manifest as being invited to enter back into Pardes, or Paradise, ie. a state of consciousness pre-existing to duality, and the distinction between good and evil. And, of course, such state of consciousness exists, and the Soul is destined to ‘return’ to such state of consciousness. However, if the Soul does not honor its own inner created duality, which translates in discernment between good and evil as it manifests from within itself, it will become intoxicated. Why? Because such inner duality and inner distinction between good and evil-no matter how wrong or partial it may be- is a reflection of the Soul’s separating desires, which needs to be consciously purged, step by step. Thus, the Virgo/Mercury need to create an order within the inner experience, and discriminate between the different emotional states and desires, thus discerning what is pure, and what is not pure (ie. paradoxically creating duality in order to purge duality). Only thus can the true ‘Paradise’ can be entered into and known, progressively. If the Soul fails to continue with this ongoing purging of its desire nature, it will be identifying the Divine with a projection of itself, thus feeling full of an egocentric power of some kind.

I hope this makes sense, and please keep in mind it is nothing but what I personally feel this is about, or one way it can manifest.

God Bless,

Gonzalo
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2011, 08:27 PM by Gonzalo » Logged
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2011, 08:07 AM »

Thanks Steve and Gonzalo. I definitely see the over-generality of my post. Gonzalo, your explanation was really insightful for me.

A thought that comes up for me:
Second stage spiritual is associated with Leo, and yet, it seems that Virgo discernment becomes ever more important for the soul as it moves beyond the first stage of the spiritual state. As I understand this, this is reflected through the semi sextile between Leo and Virgo: a curb to one's ultimate and absolute freedom for self actualization through the awareness of their still, imperfectness.
am

Wendy
Very Active Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2011, 11:28 AM »

Thanks Steve and Gonzalo. I definitely see the over-generality of my post. Gonzalo, your explanation was really insightful for me.

A thought that comes up for me:
Second stage spiritual is associated with Leo, and yet, it seems that Virgo discernment becomes ever more important for the soul as it moves beyond the first stage of the spiritual state. As I understand this, this is reflected through the semi sextile between Leo and Virgo: a curb to one's ultimate and absolute freedom for self actualization through the awareness of their still, imperfectness.
am

I really enjoyed reading this post Ari, and I too wondered about the Virgo discernment in 1st stage spiritual vs. the Leo aggrandizement in 2nd stage spiritual while reading your post.  and thus question why Virgo is linked in 1st stage and Leo in 2nd.  It seems the 2nd stage needs more Virgo, but gets full with itself, to what? self-actualize to the extreme before surrendering to the totality of the universe (Pisces 3rd stage)?

peace and love,
Wendy

Wendy
Very Active Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2011, 11:34 AM »

3. The emptiness envelopes and the sense of meaninglessness may increase, along with fear, terror, anxiety and/or indifference. Solipsism may arise, "I am the center around which all the meaninglessness happens." One may stay here for quite some time, mistaking detachment and disassociation for "enlightenment". It is from this place, "enlightened egos" are born.

Enlightened egos are a perfect part of the play of Consciousness.  As Papaji said so well, "There are many false gurus because there are many false seekers."

I love this!  So many souls I know claim "enlightment", yet express only solutions, no emotional empathy or social ability to relate.  I feel this is a fine line, lending an ear to a soul who is stuck in egoic-soul resistance without focusing on empowerment is not truly helpful. 
Elen
Most Active Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2011, 02:05 PM »

I love this!  So many souls I know claim "enlightment", yet express only solutions, no emotional empathy or social ability to relate.  I feel this is a fine line, lending an ear to a soul who is stuck in egoic-soul resistance without focusing on empowerment is not truly helpful. 
[/b]

Wow, Wendy, that really hit it just perfectly.... Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that!

Pattycr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2011, 11:05 PM »

I agree with Sunyata. This portion stuck out to me as well.

"This may be why the emptiness is one of the first places visited after awakening. It provides a baseline of open spaciousness to endure the transformation of the heart."

That's very nice. Reminded me of Uranus (er, Oranos, perhaps). Creation begins with a void.

"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

Genesis 1:2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Video