Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spiral dynamics and ea states  (Read 892 times)
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« on: Apr 15, 2011, 01:37 PM »

Hi all, I was excited to come accross this in the archives. The works of Ken wilber have had a big influence on my own understanding and personally feel it is a helpful addition to understanding the ea states. This thread starts on Feb 24 2002 in the archives.
With Love,
am

Judy:  Good Morning, Jeff!  I so appreciate what you have shared! Thank you for taking the time and
energy to be so thorough. You shared exactly what I needed. I appreciate your gift.  I am observing that
each stage encompases the lessons learned from all the previous stages and that perhaps some skipped steps might involve the lack of consciously integrating--for various reasons--that which is already "known". 

Thank you again.  Blessings...Judy
Jeff:  This is a very, very interesting point, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but at this time there is a
movement called Integral which Ken Wilber is a major proponent of- it seeks to show how consciousness
evolves- the interesting thing is that they have found that at each stage it transcends and includes the
previous (like you have intuited)- Here is an explination of the stages developed from spiral dynamics, an
approach that has been embraced by the Integral movement- I'm currently studying the Integral importance of Evolutionary Astrology and how it relates to these ideas.

SPIRAL DYNAMICS AND THE WAVES OF EXISTENCE 
The first six levels are "subsistence levels" marked by "first-tier thinking." Then there occurs a
revolutionary shift in consciousness: the emergence of "being levels" and "second-tier thinking," of which
there are two major waves. Here is a brief description of all eight waves, the percentage of the world
population at each wave, and the percentage of social power held by each. 

1. Beige: Archaic-Instinctual . The level of basic survival; food, water, warmth, sex, and safety have
priority. Uses habits and instincts just to survive. Distinct self is barely awakened or sustained. Forms into
survival bands to perpetuate life. 
here seen: First human societies, newborn infants, senile elderly, late-stage Alzheimer's victims, mentally
ill street people, starving masses, shell shock. Approximately 0.1% of the adult population, 0% power. 

2. Purple: Magical-Animistic . Thinking is animistic; magical spirits, good and bad, swarm the earth
leaving blessings, curses, and spells which determine events. Forms into ethnic tribes . The spirits exist in
ancestors and bond the tribe. Kinship and lineage establish political links. Sounds "holistic" but is actually
atomistic: "there is a name for each bend in the river but no name for the river." 

Where seen: Belief in voodoo-like curses, blood oaths, ancient grudges, good luck charms, family rituals,
magical ethnic beliefs and superstitions; strong in Third-World settings, gangs, athletic teams, and
corporate "tribes." 10% of the population, 1% of the power. 

3. Red: Power Gods . First emergence of a self distinct from the tribe; powerful, impulsive, egocentric,
heroic. Magical-mythic spirits, dragons, beasts, and powerful people. Archetypal gods and goddesses,
powerful beings, forces to be reckoned with, both good and bad. Feudal lords protect underlings in
exchange for obedience and labor. The basis of feudal empires --power and glory. The world is a jungle full
of threats and predators. Conquers, out-foxes, and dominates; enjoys self to the fullest without regret or
remorse; be here now. 

Where seen: The "terrible twos," rebellious youth, frontier mentalities, feudal kingdoms, epic heroes, James
Bond villains, gang leaders, soldiers of fortune, New-Age narcissism, wild rock stars, Atilla the Hun, Lord
of the Flies . 20% of the population, 5% of the power. 

4. Blue: Mythic Order . Life has meaning, direction, and purpose, with outcomes determined by an allpowerful Other or Order. This righteous Order enforces a code of conduct based on absolutist and
unvarying principles of "right" and "wrong." Violating the code or rules has severe, perhaps everlasting
repercussions. Following the code yields rewards for the faithful. Basis of ancient nations . Rigid social
hierarchies; paternalistic; one right way and only one right way to think about everything. Law and order;
impulsivity controlled through guilt; concrete-literal and fundamentalist belief; obedience to the rule of
Order; strongly conventional and conformist. Often "religious" or "mythic" [in the mythic-membership
sense; Graves and Beck refer to it as the "saintly/absolutistic" level], but can be secular or atheistic Order or Mission. 
Where seen: Puritan America, Confucian China, Dickensian England, Singapore discipline, totalitarianism, codes of chivalry and honor, charitable good deeds, religious fundamentalism (e.g., Christian and Islamic), Boy and Girl Scouts, "moral majority," patriotism. 40% of the population, 30% of the power. 

5. Orange: Scientific Achievement . At this wave, the self "escapes" from the "herd mentality" of blue, and
seeks truth and meaning in individualistic terms--hypothetico-deductive, experimental, objective,
mechanistic, operational--"scientific" in the typical sense. The world is a rational and well-oiled machine
with natural laws that can be learned, mastered, and manipulated for one's own purposes. Highly
achievement oriented, especially (in America) toward materialistic gains. The laws of science rule politics,
the economy, and human events. The world is a chess-board on which games are played as winners gain
pre-eminence and perks over losers. Marketplace alliances; manipulate earth's resources for one's strategic gains. Basis of corporate states . 
Where seen: The Enlightenment, Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged , Wall Street, emerging middle classes around
the world, cosmetics industry, trophy hunting, colonialism, the Cold War, fashion industry, materialism,
secular humanism, liberal self-interest. 30% of the population, 50% of the power. 

6. Green: The Sensitive Self . Communitarian, human bonding, ecological sensitivity, networking. The
human spirit must be freed from greed, dogma, and divisiveness; feelings and caring supersede cold
rationality; cherishing of the earth, Gaia, life. Against hierarchy; establishes lateral bonding and linking.
Permeable self, relational self, group intermeshing. Emphasis on dialogue, relationships. Basis of value
communities (i.e., freely chosen affiliations based on shared sentiments). Reaches decisions through
reconciliation and consensus (downside: interminable "processing" and incapacity to reach decisions).
Refresh spirituality, bring harmony, enrich human potential. Strongly egalitarian, anti-hierarchy, pluralistic
values, social construction of reality, diversity, multiculturalism, relativistic value systems; this worldview
is often called pluralistic relativism . Subjective, nonlinear thinking; shows a greater degree of affective
warmth, sensitivity, and caring, for earth and all its inhabitants. 
Where seen: Deep ecology, postmodernism, Netherlands idealism, Rogerian counseling, Canadian health
care, humanistic psychology, liberation theology, cooperative inquiry, World Council of Churches,
Greenpeace, animal rights, ecofeminism, post-colonialism, Foucault/Derrida, politically correct, diversity
movements, human rights issues, ecopsychology. 10% of the population, 15% of the power. [Note: this is
10% of the world population. Don Beck estimates that around 20-25% of the American population is
green.] 

With the completion of the green meme, human consciousness is poised for a quantum jump into "secondtier thinking." Clare Graves referred to this as a "momentous leap," where "a chasm of unbelievable depth of meaning is crossed." In essence, with second-tier consciousness, one can think both vertically and horizontally, using both hierarchies and heterarchies (both ranking and linking). One can therefore, for the first time, vividly grasp the entire spectrum of interior development , and thus see that each level, each meme, each wave is crucially important for the health of the overall Spiral. 
As I would word it, each wave is "transcend and include." That is, each wave goes beyond (or transcends) its predecessor, and yet it includes or embraces it in its own makeup. For example, a cell transcends but includes molecules, which transcend but include atoms. To say that a molecule goes beyond an atom is not to say that molecules hate atoms, but that they love them: they embrace them in their own makeup; they include them, they don't marginalize them. Just so, each wave of existence is a fundamental ingredient of all subsequent waves, and thus each is to be cherished and embraced. 
Moreover, each wave can itself be activated or reactivated as life circumstances warrant. In emergency
situations, we can activate red power drives; in response to chaos, we might need to activate blue order; in looking for a new job, we might need orange achievement drives; in marriage and with friends, close green bonding. All of these memes have something important to contribute. 
But what none of the first-tier memes can do, on their own, is fully appreciate the existence of the other
memes. Each of the first-tier memes thinks that its worldview is the correct or best perspective. It reacts
negatively if challenged; it lashes out, using its own tools, whenever it is threatened. Blue order is very
uncomfortable with both red impulsiveness and orange individualism. Orange individualism thinks blue order is for suckers and green egalitarianism is weak and woo-woo. Green egalitarianism cannot easily
abide excellence and value rankings, big pictures, hierarchies, or anything that appears authoritarian, and
thus green reacts strongly to blue, orange, and anything post-green. 
All of that begins to change with second-tier thinking. Because second-tier consciousness is fully aware of
the interior stages of development--even if it cannot articulate them in a technical fashion--it steps back and grasps the big picture, and thus second-tier thinking appreciates the necessary role that all of the various memes play . Second-tier awareness thinks in terms of the overall spiral of existence, and not merely in the terms of any one level. 

Where the green meme begins to grasp the numerous different systems and pluralistic contexts that exist in different cultures (which is why it is indeed the sensitive self, i.e., sensitive to the marginalization of
others), second-tier thinking goes one step further. It looks for the rich contexts that link and join these
pluralistic systems, and thus it takes these separate systems and begins to embrace, include, and integrate them into holistic spirals and integral meshworks. Second-tier thinking, in other words, is instrumental in moving from relativism to holism, or from pluralism to integralism . 
The extensive research of Graves, Beck, and Cowan indicates that there are at least two major waves to this second-tier integral consciousness: 

7. Yellow: Integrative . Life is a kaleidoscope of natural hierarchies [holarchies], systems, and forms.
Flexibility, spontaneity, and functionality have the highest priority. Differences and pluralities can be
integrated into interdependent, natural flows. Egalitarianism is complemented with natural degrees of
ranking and excellence. Knowledge and competency should supersede power, status, or group sensitivity.
The prevailing world order is the result of the existence of different levels of reality (memes) and the
inevitable patterns of movement up and down the dynamic spiral. Good governance facilitates the
emergence of entities through the levels of increasing complexity (nested hierarchy). 1% of the population,
5% of the power. 
8. Turquoise: Holistic . Universal holistic system, holons/waves of integrative energies; unites feeling with
knowledge; multiple levels interwoven into one conscious system. Universal order, but in a living,
conscious fashion, not based on external rules (blue) or group bonds (green). A "grand unification" [a
"theory of everything" or T.O.E.] is possible, in theory and in actuality. Sometimes involves the emergence
of a new spirituality as a meshwork of all existence. Turquoise thinking uses the entire Spiral; sees multiple
levels of interaction; detects harmonics, the mystical forces, and the pervasive flow-states that permeate
any organization. 0.1% of the population, 1% of the power. 
With less than 2 percent of the population at second-tier thinking (and only 0.1 percent at turquoise),
second-tier consciousness is relatively rare because it is now the "leading-edge" of collective human
evolution. As examples, Beck and Cowan mention items that include Teilhard de Chardin's noosphere,
chaos and complexity theories, universal systems thinking, integral-holistic theories, Gandhi's and
Mandela's pluralistic integration, with increases in frequency definitely on the way, and even higher memes
still in the offing....
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2011, 01:59 PM by ari moshe » Logged
Lucius

« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2011, 02:00 PM »

We are both looking at the same archives  Smiley

I have to admit I don't completely understand this paradigm -  how is this applied in reality? So - there's a color and then there is a percentage of the population associated with it's associations!  Each time I see this on the old MB I'm flummoxed!
Is there somewhere to go that would explain the practical relevance? It's certainly interesting.
Thanks Smiley
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2011, 02:56 PM »

Hi Lucius,

First, I hope it's ok to be posting this info here. My sense is that it is a helpful for those who feel drawn to do this cross reference to deepen the ea understanding. If any moderators feel its a distraction of course I understand.

The basic philosophy is that consiousness evoles through a process of transcendence and inclusion. On all planes and scales of existance this is exemplified. This link presents 4 quadrants that reflect 4 different streamas of evolution:
- biological
- social
- world view
- conciousness itself
http://www.wisdompage.com/toerevw.html

Each tier in spiral dynamics represents an entire psychological reality or paradigm for human consciousness with memes within that. Blue for example seems to correlate to the end of the consensus state in ea. Green seems to correlate to the individuated state in ea. Once we reach the second tier we are entering what I sense is the spiritual state. Yellow correlating to the first stage spiritual where there is the initial and full blown awareness of "the whole" and one's humble place within that.

This man describes it really well in my opinion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/0ThouArtThat0#p/search/1/FT2MLim4zRw

One thing I don't agree with, is the historical correlations. This system tends to look at "pre-history" from the typical patriarchal distortion of being entirely mythic and "pre-rational." I am discovering that consciousness has in fact been more evolved at that time than it currently is. I feel this system is great when put side to side with ea from the point of view of individual consciousness.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2011, 07:05 PM by ari moshe » Logged
ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:05 PM »

From the above article from Ken Wilber's book "A Theory of Everything"

Wilber identifies four factors that facilitate personal transformation: fulfillment, dissonance, insight, and opening.  “Fulfillment means that the individual has generally fulfilled the basic tasks of a given stage or wave.”  When this happens the person “is open to transformation” which is then facilitated by some sort of dissonance.  “The new wave is struggling to emerge, the old wave is struggling to hang on, and the individual feels torn, feels dissonance, feels pulled in several directions.”  Eventually, out of the dissonance comes “insight into the situation—insight into what one actually wants, and insight into what reality actually offers.  …  Finally, if all of those factors fall into place, then an opening to the next wave of consciousness—deeper, higher, wider, more encompassing—becomes possible.”

This right there is a wonderful description of the soul and it's desire nature. This is the very process of the transmutation of consciousness as implied by Pluto in the context of any ea stage.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2011, 07:04 PM by ari moshe » Logged
Steve
Admin
Most Active Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:33 PM »

Hi

I want to clarify something so there is no confusion.  The person named Jeff who posted that material about Ken Wilbur and the rest that Ari is commenting on is not Jeffrey Wolf Green.  It is another person named Jeff who used to participate on the old message board.  You can keep discussing what you are discussing. Just be clear that what Ari posted was not written by Jeffrey Wolf Green and is not part of Jeffrey's EA paradigm.
thanks
Steve

ari moshe
Most Active Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Oh Gee!
Thank you Steve for pointing that out. Honestly, I would not have brought this up if I knew that it wasn't the same Jeff. I will be sure to keep this thread focused on the purpose of understanding the ea stages.
Steven

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2011, 08:44 PM »

Hi, Ari, thanks for starting this thread. I also have been comparing the Spiral Dynamics model of social consciousness evolution to the EA model of spiritual evolution to deepen my understanding.

I do find both models to be complementary, but I perceive that the "Consensus" state reflected by
EA is not something that we can necessarily match to a fixed state of development on the SD chart.
What defines Consensus, or the "herd" mentality, is always going to be relative to the overall developmental state of the community or culture in which a soul incarnates. What strikes me about this is that if Consensus is relative, then so, too, are the values which a Individuated Soul might develop and usher in.

The creators of SD estimated that a majority (40%) of contemporary humans alive at this time have evolved into the Blue state of consciousness, which is to say ethnocentric or nationalistic values, with a belief in One True Faith, and clear-cut laws and regulations that appply to their race/nation, etc. The next largest secttion of humanity (35%) have evolved beyond Blue into Orange, the Strive-Drive, scientific/materialistic meme which cuts acroos national borders to form transational corporations and so forth.

So in our current time/space snapshot of human social development, these two memes can indeed be called Consensus from an EA perspective, and therefore most incarnating souls at the Individuated State alive today would indeed be resonating with the next SD level, or "Green" values and beyond, but as Individuated Soul values, they're only relative to the place where consensus is currently pitched.

It always humbles me, for example, to contemplate that in a community where the Consensus social phase is Red, (violent, egocentric, world-is-a-jungle mindsets), then an Individuated Soul would likely be working to usher in the next stage of Blue values: laws, organized religions to bring people together, respect for all those of the same faith or ethnicity, etc. The very memes, in fact, that so many other Individuated Souls today are evolving beyond to a more world-centric stage, yet which were/remain evolutionary advances over the Red state of growth.

I could natter on about this more, but I'll stop. The main thing is that I do find both models
to be helpful; and the synthesis of the two has deepened for me my attempts to intuit
the possible lessons behind a soul's choice to incarnate at a specific time/stage of human social evolution (Spiral Dynamics) and at a specific stage of soul evolution (EA).

Thanks again for the thread!

Cheers,

Dylan
Lucius

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2011, 08:54 PM »

Thanks Ari!  First - I almost mentioned it wasn't JWolfGreen who posted that in the old MB, but, assumed you knew that - it got confusing there sometimes.  But, J.Wolf has a rather distinctive style.

I still don't understand the color part - why the colors? 

Thanks for holding my hand, here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Video